Random Thoughts....

I just saw a coyote in my backyard while taking my dogs out, now I'm debating how best to protect them from a possible attack. Right now I'm thinking of having some flood lights installed and keeping a bat by the back door. I will not let anything bad happen to my animals.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2009/12/02/sleepy_doggies.JPG

Much to my amazement, Amazon carries collapsible police batons. I just ordered a 26 inch one for $12, I figure (god forbid) if I see another coyote outside and it decides to attack, this will be much easier to swing than my Louisville Slugger.

31oqManjAHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Have you got a fence and can you run some electric tape (live tape) around it, coyote height? Your dogs will work out where it is and avoid it fairly quickly, but it might be enough to discourage unwanted wildlife.

Never realized coyotes would attack dogs. Is there a way you could scare it off for good? Could a wire fence around your yard suffice?

Never realized coyotes would attack dogs. Is there a way you could scare it off for good? Could a wire fence around your yard suffice?

Coyotes will attack just about anything the even suspect is weaker them themselves. A client of mine's neighbor lost both her cats and a full size poodle when a coyote moved into the area.

They are mainly scavengers and opportunistic hunters but if they get hungry enough just about anything is fair game.

Last edited:
I just saw a coyote in my backyard while taking my dogs out, now I'm debating how best to protect them from a possible attack. Right now I'm thinking of having some flood lights installed and keeping a bat by the back door. I will not let anything bad happen to my animals.

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2009/12/02/sleepy_doggies.JPG

Much to my amazement, Amazon carries collapsible police batons. I just ordered a 26 inch one for $12, I figure (god forbid) if I see another coyote outside and it decides to attack, this will be much easier to swing than my Louisville Slugger.

31oqManjAHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The lights won't do much good, although they are good for the humans. Unless you are outside with your dogs when an attack occurs you will be to late with the baton. If you are outside the attack probably won't happen. Your best bet is to keep the pet food and trash inside so they aren't atractted to your place. And go outside when your dogs do at night.

Last edited:

When I was living in Nashville there were incidents of a coyote attacking dogs in full view of the owners in a city park. They're scared of nothing.

You colonists always get the cool wildlife, the most ferocious animals round here are sparrows and the occasional Audi killing deer :p

I almost hit a Coyote last Thursday morning driving to work. I've never seen one out here before that.

You colonists always get the cool wildlife, the most ferocious animals round here are sparrows and the occasional Audi killing deer :p
No Wild boars in Belgium?

wikipedia said:
[...]If surprised or cornered, a boar (and particularly a sow with her piglets) can and will defend itself and its young with intense vigor. The male lowers its head, charges, and then slashes upward with his tusks. The female, whose tusks are not visible, charges with her head up, mouth wide, and bites. Such attacks are not often fatal to humans, but may result in severe trauma, dismemberment, or blood loss.
They are responsible for quite some dead dogs over here ... and I wouldn?t want to go head to head with one unarmed, I can tell you that ... those tusks leave huge wounds ...

Whenever there are sitings of coyote around here, those sitings stop popping up the day after I hear a gun shot at night, usually sounds like a shot gun.

I feel gassy.

Phrrrt!

TMI...... and open a window! :p

Because you Europeans have hunted and killed most animals that peeps find threatening in any way.

Heavens bless young men and motorcyclists with muscles

Damn those that put wheels on so tight you need power tools to get nuts off. Oh and people who leave sharp nails where cars go.

[While removing stubborn lug nuts with an impact wrench turned up to 100PSI]
1: Who the hell puts lugs on so hard you need 100PSI and an impact wrench to get them off?
2: People putting them on with a 100PSI impact wrench.

Sigh. I desperately need to get out of the house, but can't think of a single place to go.

In the US white signs represent laws.
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/05/16/btkm-speed-limit-sign.jpg

While yellow signs represent advisories:
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/05/16/stock-photo-cattle-road-sign-162565.jpg

So when I see a road that looks like this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/05/16/passing11.jpg

I'm going to take it as an advisory. There is no fucking reason for roads like that to have a no passing zone. A Ford Pinto hauling a caravan could pass a train in that space.

Uggg I went out driving one afternoon and ended up on a road like that, no passing, and a 30 mph speed limit. It was atrocious. Safe speed was at least 50.

There is a 10 something mile stretch of arrow straight road like that which makes up part of the shortcut from I-81/I-66 in Winchester VA to the I-95 connection.

Posted 30 mph speed limit radar enforced and it is written on the street in 50 foot long letters.

Oh and back when VA was using aircraft to enforce speed limits they had those signs up to.

Now if there were houses right up on the road then the speed limit would at least be justified or if it went through the middle of a town. It doesn't it goes through a bunch of farms and ranches with fenced in properties and the closest house is probably 300 feet from the road.

Its close enough to DC that I assume lots of the people that have houses there are from the district and have enough pull to all but shut the shortcut down.

Its a pity too because it saves close 20 minutes off the trip from the north western part of the state to the central part of the state even with the ridiculous speed limit.

Last edited: