Random Thoughts....

Have you got a fence and can you run some electric tape (live tape) around it, coyote height? Your dogs will work out where it is and avoid it fairly quickly, but it might be enough to discourage unwanted wildlife.

Never realized coyotes would attack dogs. Is there a way you could scare it off for good? Could a wire fence around your yard suffice?

I don't have a fence, nor could I put one up.

The lights won't do much good, although they are good for the humans. Unless you are outside with your dogs when an attack occurs you will be to late with the baton. If you are outside the attack probably won't happen. Your best bet is to keep the pet food and trash inside so they aren't atractted to your place. And go outside when your dogs do at night.

What I normally do is put the big one on her chain the backyard and then walk the little one to the front to do her business. And I never keep their food outside. My biggest worry is that one will see the 5lb cotton ball and think she'd make a good meal and charge her despite me being right there, my other fear is one making a move on the big one while I'm in the front yard with.

Its fucken freezing outside, and for some reason the smell of avgas lingers in the air.

I don't have a fence, nor could I put one up.

What I normally do is put the big one on her chain the backyard and then walk the little one to the front to do her business. And I never keep their food outside. My biggest worry is that one will see the 5lb cotton ball and think she'd make a good meal and charge her despite me being right there, my other fear is one making a move on the big one while I'm in the front yard with.

Get yourself a good air pistol. Basically silent(I used to shoot a cheap air pistol in our basement using a buffalo hide as a backstop), and easily justified as self (or pet) defense should the need arise and powerful enough deterrent to a coyote. I'd rather suggest something with a bit more explosive in it, but I'm not sure about your area (how much space you have in the back that you have coyotes in the first place) and the laws, but around here they're nuisance animals and a pair of ears to prove you've killed one gets you $20.

Every state I have leaved in considered Coyotes nuisance animals and could be killed at anytime with no bag limit.

I would second the air gun recommendation or even an pellet rifle.

.22LR. My dad picked up a cheapass .22 rifle with an actually pretty damn good scope on it for $90. The bullets are, near as makes no difference, free. They're also irritatingly accurate even in untrained hands because the bullets are so small they don't catch much wind, and are aerodynamically stable. Even a complete n00b should have no trouble hitting a coyote-sized target from 50 yards. It won't kill it (unless you score a direct braincase or vital organ hit) but it'll probably make it change its mind.

Yeah, you can get a much bigger gun for the same price (7.62x39 Soviet SKS or 7.62x54 Russian Nagant to name but a few) but those require a more experienced shooter and, if applicable, will irritate neighbors. They will, however, outright KILL the coyote instead of just annoying it.

Get yourself a good air pistol. Basically silent(I used to shoot a cheap air pistol in our basement using a buffalo hide as a backstop), and easily justified as self (or pet) defense should the need arise and powerful enough deterrent to a coyote. I'd rather suggest something with a bit more explosive in it, but I'm not sure about your area (how much space you have in the back that you have coyotes in the first place) and the laws, but around here they're nuisance animals and a pair of ears to prove you've killed one gets you $20.

Every state I have leaved in considered Coyotes nuisance animals and could be killed at anytime with no bag limit.

I would second the air gun recommendation or even an pellet rifle.

.22LR. My dad picked up a cheapass .22 rifle with an actually pretty damn good scope on it for $90. The bullets are, near as makes no difference, free. They're also irritatingly accurate even in untrained hands because the bullets are so small they don't catch much wind, and are aerodynamically stable. Even a complete n00b should have no trouble hitting a coyote-sized target from 50 yards. It won't kill it (unless you score a direct braincase or vital organ hit) but it'll probably make it change its mind.

Yeah, you can get a much bigger gun for the same price (7.62x39 Soviet SKS or 7.62x54 Russian Nagant to name but a few) but those require a more experienced shooter and, if applicable, will irritate neighbors. They will, however, outright KILL the coyote instead of just annoying it.

I live in the suburbs, this used to be mostly farm land when we moved out here 18 years ago, but since then the population has grown from 2,000 to 11,000. I also have two cops (one of them is the Sheriff) and an FBI agent living on my street, so a real gun, even a 22 is out of the question. An air/bb gun (same thing to me) is more reasonable. I have a Daisy BB gun from when I was a kid that could do some damage, but it's not exactly ideal. If I was to get something new, I would probably get something like a Co2 powered pistol.

I live in the suburbs, this used to be mostly farm land when we moved out here 18 years ago, but since then the population has grown from 2,000 to 11,000. I also have two cops (one of them is the Sheriff) and an FBI agent living on my street, so a real gun, even a 22 is out of the question. An air/bb gun (same thing to me) is more reasonable. I have a Daisy BB gun from when I was a kid that could do some damage, but it's not exactly ideal. If I was to get something new, I would probably get something like a Co2 powered pistol.
A good CO2 gun is about what I had in mind. I couldn't really help you on which to get though, the last one I had was a $100 deal from Walmart, not the highest quality, but it was pretty accurate and semi auto- held 8 rounds.

No...but I have a strong lead on a job with the company that makes this.

f35_wideweb__470x3140.jpg

Good luck! Too bad that particular aircraft is a bulky, unsleek looking mess :lol:.

Anyway, today I had Sashimi, and the stars of the show were Japanese sweet shrimp, Cuttlefish, the most amazing scallops ever, and sea urchin. Rounded it all off with a couple of pints of Asahi Black, and it was just a beautiful dinner.

Went walking earlier this evening with my mom, a neighbour of ours and her younger daughter. On the way back across the bridge (it's right over this huge public parkland) we saw some deer! I wasn't able to get any pics as the camera on my phone sucks plus I wasn't willing to dart out in traffic to get a better picture.

Holy crap, we're the next race. SBK's gonna be so goooood this year.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/05/17/rem22lrammo.jpg

+

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/05/17/remington-597-riflebig_000.jpg

I've gone crazy with electronica. I discovered Paul van Dyk and Paul Oakenfold will be playing at the Chicago Theater this weekend, bought a ticket, discovered that Deadmau5 will be playing at Soldier Field July 2nd, reserved a ticket, and am now procuring around 2k more electronica songs to supplement the 10k I already have.