Stupid Driver Stories

Phone conversation is lower quality so you often have to focus to understand, and your "passenger" is not aware of your surroundings so he will often talk through a tough driving situation, providing a distraction.

1: Get a better phone or headset.
2: You underestimate the obliviousness of most passengers.

I'm not advocating banning hands-free kits in cars, but from personal experience they are more distracting than a passenger.

I'm not advocating banning hands-free kits in cars, but from personal experience they are more distracting than a passenger.

I've had some pretty damn oblivious passengers - and the other thing is that when you have a passenger in the car you tend to look at them from time to time instead of paying attention to the road. Obviously this is impossible with a phone conversation.

Perhaps if we are interested in safety we should ban not only all conversation in motor vehicles but the carriage of passengers at all? It seems only logical to do so, if you want driving safety uber alles.

Last edited:
The problems is that for most of us when the situation changes so that it requires our attention most drivers will STFU and so will most passangers. When on the phone drivers for some reason feel the need to pay more attention to the phone than to a live person.

I'm just going to quite this instead. :)

So, this woman parks her car next to mine and I noticed she's got the right side mirror folded. She leaves and I stay inside my car waiting for my girlfriend. A couple of minutes later, the woman goes back to her car and when she's about to enter it, I say to her: "look, your right side mirror is folded, you better unfold it before driving away." She looks at me with this "uh" face and replies: "I know, thanks." And so, she enters inside her car and leaves WITH THE MIRROR FOLDED LIKE WHEN SHE ARRIVED BEFORE.

Then I go back home to find 2 cars parked on the sidewalk in such way I had to go around them walking in the road. And this in a street full of legal parking places and with handicaped and elderly people living in it. This kind of stupidity infuriates me in such way I went back and keyed both cars in the driver's door, hope the stupid drivers get it this way and start parking their cars properly.

....you keyed someone elses cars? What the fuck were you thinking? You simply do NOT key somone elses car because of a bad parking job:/

1: Get a better phone or headset.
2: You underestimate the obliviousness of most passengers.
Pretty much a +1 on this one...
...you keyed someone elses cars? What the fuck were you thinking? You simply do NOT key somone elses car because of a bad parking job:/
+10000 on this one, you should NOT fuck with other people's cars.... If I caught you doing it to my car no matter the reason I would be in jail for murder...

Last edited:
....you keyed someone elses cars? What the fuck were you thinking? You simply do NOT key somone elses car because of a bad parking job:/

Yes, I do, when the car is parked on the sidewalk in such a way it makes me go and walk in the road with traffic coming and going so to be able to go home. Parking a car on the sidewalk in a street full of free legal parking places it's beyond stupidity. I never - ever - park on the sidewalk, sometimes I prefer to wait 5-10 minutes to get a parking spot or look around in the block than to park my car on the sidewalk and make life difficult for those who are elderly and have some walking problems or those who are handicapped and walk around in wheelchairs or canes.

Next time call the police, they can issue a citation to the car for not parking properly, and a citation to you for vandalism.

Next time call the police, they can issue a citation to the car for not parking properly, and a citation to you for vandalism.

I've called the police the other day, the police replied they were too busy to come and fine a couple of cars parked on the sidewalk and I should file a complaint next to the City Hall and demand the traffic services to install some iron poles to prevent the cars from entering the sidewalk. Off course the City Hall replied this kind of problem must be dealt by the police and they're too busy to do anything. This is how laws work here in Portugal.

I've called the police the other day, the police replied they were too busy to come and fine a couple of cars parked on the sidewalk and I should file a complaint next to the City Hall and demand the traffic services to install some iron poles to prevent the cars from entering the sidewalk. Off course the City Hall replied this kind of problem must be dealt by the police and they're too busy to do anything. This is how laws work here in Portugal.
Doesn't excuse vandelizing property.... Let out the air from the tires, don't slash them so you don't do any damage, post a note stating that tires were deflated for improper parking.

Doesn't surprise me they aren't interested in doing anything since they've essentially bred a vigilante system of "justice." Further encouraging that crap by just keying the cars and moving on is a very poor way to do things. It made you no better than them, they may have been encroaching on public right of way, but you did property damage. Would you like someone to key your car the next time you park slightly over or too close to some line in a parking lot? Yeah, they shouldn't have parked on the sidewalk, but leave a note saying someone disabled lives nearby and can't go for a walk when they park like that.

I heard about a driver doing a stupid thing today. He actually keyed some cars because he disapproved of the way they were parked. Can you imagine?

+10000 on this one, you should NOT fuck with other people's cars.... If I caught you doing it to my car no matter the reason I would be in jail for murder...

It's legal to shoot car vandals in Texas.

Agreed. If anybody did this to my car for any reason, I would have a butcher's knife at their throat until the police came and pried them from my cold dead hands- off to jail. You DO NOT damage something that cost somebody a lot of money. Who died and made you the fucking vigilante traffic police?

Our neighbours across the street parked right across the footpath, on the nature strips, facing the wrong way in the street, sticking out so far that you can't fit a car between them and any car parked outside our place etc. All it took was a few anonymous notes from several neighbours (including us, heheh) and a visit from a city council officer, who, incidentally, nabbed someone else in the street for illegal parking when they only did it the one time...but not them, go figure. After that, they stopped doing it.

Someone did egg one of the cars there, though, but we think it was an angry ex-boyfriend of the girl who owns that particular car, not because of the way it was parked. There's always random shit going on over there... but i digress. Vandalism like that is just a total overreaction. :glare:

Our neighbours across the street parked right across the footpath, on the nature strips, facing the wrong way in the street, sticking out so far that you can't fit a car between them and any car parked outside our place etc. All it took was a few anonymous notes from several neighbours (including us, heheh) and a visit from a city council officer, who, incidentally, nabbed someone else in the street for illegal parking when they only did it the one time...but not them, go figure. After that, they stopped doing it.

Someone did egg one of the cars there, though, but we think it was an angry ex-boyfriend of the girl who owns that particular car, not because of the way it was parked. There's always random shit going on over there... but i digress. Vandalism like that is just a total overreaction. :glare:

We get people parking across our footpaths picking their kids up from the bus stop in their big Chelsea tractors (why they don't just go to the school itself- tons of parking there!). We do get annoyed by it as people go around them by walking in our front yard, but we don't do anything about it- there isn't anywhere else to park in our street really, it is so narrow (hence me getting anoyed at them choosing my street to pick their kids up from- go use a bigger, wider street 500m away with an equally convenient and safe bus stop!). It's only when they park across our driveway (about once a week) that i have to go out and ask the mob of gossiping mums to move off the driveway as I/a family member have to get into/out of it. Only once have they not complied (because somebody else took "their spot"), which I responded to by bascally calling the local police station. They filed an over the phone report and came the next day to see where they were parking. We got promised "no stopping" signs, but haven't gotten them yet :(. Oh, and the lady moved once I put my phone on speaker mode and she realised I was serious. Stupid lazy yet overprotective mothers. :angry:

Relatively low. We have Houston (where all the criminals of New Orleans went and don't want to leave, causing an enormous spike in crime) as a major issue, and Dallas used to be rated as high nationally, but it turned out we were reporting our crime improperly to the FBI and DOJ.

A bit of explanation and an example - If three car burglaries occurred in a 5 block radius in the course of a 24 hour period, Dallas was reporting them as three separate crimes. The DOJ/FBI requirements say that you're supposed to report them as one 'spree crime' not three separate ones; same thing for murder Everyone else was using the DOJ specs to report and we weren't up through 2008. :p I leave it up to you to determine which is the more 'honest' method of reporting crime rates. I believe that San Antonio had a similar problem; see the link above for more information.

I used to live in a 'high crime' part of Dallas and had far fewer problems than when I lived in a 'medium crime' area in Los Angeles. As a state, murder rates are trending downwards and despite the huge population and massive urbanization (#2 most populated state in the US and the 4th, 7th and 9th largest cities in the country in just the one state), we're down around #15 for violent crime per capita (behind the District Of Columbia, South Carolina, Tennessee [thanks mostly due to Memphis], Nevada [thanks, Vegas], Florida [yay drug war], Louisiana [why didn't we send these people to Nebraska or Wyoming, again?], Alaska, Delaware, Maryland, New Mexico and places like California and Illinois). We also have less property crime than places like Hawaii, Washington state, and Nevada.

It could be better. It used to be a lot worse.

On the other hand, while there will always be an endless supply of idiots to commit crimes, we at least have fewer repeat offenders. My powdercoat guy told me that he confronted a burglar inside his home late Tuesday night and 'expressed his displeasure' with the gentleman in a procedure involving a large dog and a revolver.

Last edited: