20 Things You Won't Like About Windows Vista

TYC

Taken From This ComputerWorld Article:
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9000829

20. Minimum video system requirements are more like maximum.
19. Aero stratification will cause businesses woe.
18. User Account Controls $#^%!~\!!!.
17. Two words: Secure Desktop.
16. No way to access the Administrator account in Vista Beta 2.
15. Some first-blush networking peeves.
14. Windows peer networking is still balky.
13. Network settings user experience went backwards.
12. Too many Network Control Panel applets, wizards and dialogs.
11. Display settings have changed for no apparently good reason.
10. Where are the file menus?
9. Windows Defender Beta 2 is buggy.
8. Problems without solutions.
7. Lack of Windows Sidebar Gadgets.
6. Media Center isn't all there and falls flat.
5. Faulty assumption on the Start Menu.
4. Installation takes forever.
3. Version control.
2. Price.
1. Little originality, sometimes with a loss of elegance.

They also included a chart on how they rated many Operation Systems:
02_introchart.jpg

----------------------------------
Thank God for MACs.
-Simple, Powerful, what more do you want?
'nough said.

100,00 Mac Users (random number) vs 100,000,000 Windows users

Guess whats going to look and show more bugs as an OS.....

I'll get Vista a few months after its out, XP over the years has been nothing BUT stable for me, my installs are quite old too, I dont reinstall the OS every 3 months old as some people do.

I have never really understood the attitude some people have towards MS. I have used XP since it came out and never had any problems with it, before that I used 98 etc etc, never had any problems.

Does these uber-nerds that hate MS do something special to provoke the OS :?
Do they go looking for bugs? are they retarded, and do not understand how to use it??

avanti said:
I have never really understood the attitude some people have towards MS. I have used XP since it came out and never had any problems with it, before that I used 98 etc etc, never had any problems.

Does these uber-nerds that hate MS do something special to provoke the OS :?
Do they go looking for bugs? are they retarded, and do not understand how to use it??

No they are people who actually care, from a techincal standpoint, about the usability and stability of a system. Security features are useless if no one uses them. Take for example passwords, if you make a password quality requirement the users write them down, however if you don't make such a requirement, most users will make their password easily guessable things like password, dorwssap, or chair...

Most home users don't care about security, so windows xp doesn't seem so terrible. Also, as for a UI it's not horrible, but there are better ones. Also don't think that since OS X only has a couple million users (not 100k...) that it only won because of the MS haters... It is actually a well designed OS. Windows only has hundreds of millions of users because microsoft has deals with 95% of PC companies to install it exclusively.

I take offense to being called retarded for disliking windows, it's great for a home user, (even though personally I think OS X is better for home use) but it doesn't have the customizability and power I'd prefer in an operating system. But that's my personal opinion.

Re: 20 Things You Won't Like About Windows Vista

TYC said:
Thank God for MACs.
-Simple, Powerful, what more do you want?

Ummm, I'd like to be able to run my software, thank you. Also I can put together a powerful PC for under $1000, and nothing at that price from Apple would compare.

TechZ said:

Totally right. AND people who buy Mac a stylish "wannabes" who would never tell you faults (because its uncool) or are so inept in computers that they don't recognize them. Plus "it all just looks nicer" ;-)
Things like better progs for Video editing and sound producing are mostly a thing of the past.

Not saying that everybody who buys one is a n00b or anything, but the "stylish factor" and brand play such a big part today...
//Edit: And I should mention that part of my view are gaming concerns...

Buba said:
Things like better progs for Video editing and sound producing are mostly a thing of the past.

You're right. And a lot of people I knew in college used to buy Macs just to run Photoshop on it, but that isn't really worth it since Photoshop runs wonderfully on the PC.

Buba said:
TechZ said:

Totally right. AND people who buy Mac a stylish "wannabes" who would never tell you faults (because its uncool) or are so inept in computers that they don't recognize them. Plus "it all just looks nicer" ;-)

Not saying that everybody who buys one is a n00b or anything, but the "stylish factor" and brand play such a big part today...
//Edit: And I should mention that part of my view are gaming concerns...

I'm not sure if I take offense to that or not... JUST because the brand is stylish doesn't mean that everyone that buys them wants them because of the stylish nature. I actually have mine because I needed a laptop for school that ran UNIX natively, something most laptops suck at, because no one writes alternative drivers for them.

Honestly at least 80% of machines sold aren't sold to gamers, they are sold to people looking for a computer to do word processing, web browsing and e-mail on. Windows has vulnerabilities in so many areas related to those three main uses, it's scary. OS X has vulnerabilities too, but alot of the stupid buffer overflow errors (which they teach you in Freshman CS classes how to avoid such errors), that MS has been king of creating, have been fixed, because they were fixed years ago in BSD.

About 10% of people who want Macs want them because they are stylish, the other 90% are tired of the constant reboots, the driver support (I really shouldn't have to reboot a machine to install a printer, mouse or keyboard...), and CNN blowing every virus out of proportion. There's maybe 30 POC viruses for OSX at the moment, and i'm not saying that Macs can't get viruses, i'm just saying there aren't mac viruses in the wild yet. If I could get OS X on cheaper hardware (legally) i'd do it in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't want the rock solid stability I get from Apple providing me the hardware too.

If the positions of the two OSes were reversed (with 100million on osx, and 5 million windows) sure more exploits would be discovered, but the majority of them wouldn't allow attackers full access to do whatever the hell they wanted to your system. You could still get compromised, but your kernel would be stable, because it's been beaten against by hackers for almost 35 years. The kernel in Windows Vista hasn't had but 6 years of testing (probably less considering development time).

So please, before you start bashing OSX (and turning this into a Mac Vs. PC thread) realize that since it's not a good fit for you, doesn't mean it's not a good fit for others. Also, those others may be choosing to buy a machine based on other factors than "can it play games well" and "will it run x software, because i'm not willing-to/can't use an alternative"

I'm going to start by saying OSX is the worst piece of software I have ever used. It's counter intuitve, the graphics look like they've been designed for an 8 year old and it falls flat every time i try to do anything meaningful with it.

Right now that I've got that off my chest I'll move on. I'd like to start by saying that I'm not a Windows Fanboy. I run two PCs, one with Linux and it's fantastic. But my main PC is Windows XP, and I've been running XP in some form or another ever since day 1 way back in 2001. In that time I've never had a single problem with it. I could count my personal BSODs on one hand. (I say personal because I was a computer tech for a while in there and that got very nasty) What I seem to find, is that the people who bitch about XP being so bad, are the supposed 'tech heads' who really don't have a clue how to use it properly.

That said, I'll be migrating to Vista as soon as I can. It's looking like I'll be able to get my hands on a copy of Beta 2 soon, I'll dual boot it for a couple of weeks to pressure test it, and if it stands up, XP will end it's long and useful service with me. Looking at that list, its all minor gripes that you usually associate with pre-release software, the others are interface based, and to be honest, I've used many of the CTP builds, and so far, the interface changes are for the better. It's like everything, if MS was to improve the interface, people who have been using PCs for years bitch and moan. Look at the XP start menu. It's brilliant, and excellent piece of interface design, keeping all the most important things right handy and off my desktop so it doesn't clutter it up. Yet tech enthusiasts the world over bitched and moaned about it. In Vista they've gotten rid of the File, Edit etc menus. Good Riddance. They're an old and tired interface component that can be replaced by far better and far more functional devices.

They're also bitching about installation taking forever. They must have installed it on a pretty rubbish PC, because my P4 3.2 had no worries cutting the XP installation time in half with the CTPs, and the Beta won't be much slower than them.

Sounds to me like journos just making a noise because they can.

The only BSOD I've had from XP is when one of my sticks of RAM went bad and I've also been using it since 2001.

I've been using XP since a week before the official release, and I've never had a single problem that I didn't create myself. In fact, the only obvious problem was a random-reboot issue I had a year or so ago that turned out to be a problem with a wierd video codec I installed as part of a larger codec pack. I've only BSOD'd once, and it was purely intentional, just to see if I could actually do it.

Mac OSX is flashy, but I've never been a big fan of the Mac interface and I see no reason to spend tons of money on flash. Photoshop works just fine on my PC, thank you very much - and I'll see a Windows version of Lightroom very shortly.

My roommate has Vista Beta 2, and I do not feel compelled to upgrade. I eagerly went from 2000 to XP because the GUI was nicer, but all Vista seems to have is see-through windows and gizmos galore. I don't care how much RAM I'm using, I don't care what the weather's like in Tuktuyukyuk, and I don't care what CNN thinks is relevant to my life. It all seems to be just excess clutter.

it's like this:

Ferrari = technology
Porsche = Mechanics

What are you guys arguing about? Both are good OS's/cars.

I can't say I've driven a porsche or a ferrari but i know they're good cars.

^^ yah... its true :p

XP works fine for me, I hated ME, but thats cause it ran off a laptop

Mac has its problems, but so does Windows and all OSs

As for Vista, its probably the biggest rip off yet. They make it so cosmetic, its a giant ripoff from every possible type of free ware possible. Is it a coincidence that IE7 looks exactly like Firefox? I think not... They've run out of ideas....

^There is absolutely nothing wrong with ripping off freeware like Firefox.
They are doing it because there are features in those programs which are much better than those from the old Microsoft counterparts. I'd consider them retarded if they didn't take those features and incorporate them into the newest software. They are ripping off things to make their programs better, and I for one will be perfectly happy if they can rip off Firefox perfectly, so I don't have to worry about replacing my browser and other programs every time I get a new computer.

M3lover, that was awsome. I just can't wait to see a Tux and Clippy version. :)

Clippy : So, lets get this stright, you whore your self out for free and still no one wants you.
Tux : Yea, ya see I'm just so hard to use.

I for one, have used Fedora Core 3, 4, and 5, plus Ubuntu and I've not had any issue. But then, I'm like an ?ber nerd.

6 months ago, I completely beleived all the OSX/MAC hype, I believed all the stories about how great Macs were and was considering buying an iMac.

Then I started doing computer based art and design as a uni elective, which of course, was run in the Mac labs.

Seriously, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've never had any probs with XP, I find it easy enough to use, and fine to look at, and beside, I bought my computer as a tool, not a piece of artwork.

See, thats the thing that ticks me off the most about Apple, the whole philosophy of Design over Functionality.

Case in point - the clear plastic one button mouse. Has man ever invented a more frustrating input device? I would rather use a balled PC mouse from 1991 than one of these? WHY THE HELL CAN'T THEY BUILD A DECENT 2 BUTTON MOUSE WITH A SCROLL WHEEL?

Apple says "Its all about simplicity, 2 buttons makes it more difficult for people to grasp"

Come on! If you can't figure out how to use a mouse with 2 buttons then something tells me you probably shouldn't be using a computer at all. In Photoshop on a PC, I use the right click function all the time. To do the same thing on a Mac you have to hold down the CTRL (sorry, 'Command') key and press the left mouse button! THATS STILL TWO BUTTONS, JUST WITHOUT THE CONVENIENCE OF HAVING THEM BOTH ON THE ONE DEVICE!!!!!

grrrr.

/rant over. :D

14two10 said:
6 months ago, I completely beleived all the OSX/MAC hype, I believed all the stories about how great Macs were and was considering buying an iMac.

Then I started doing computer based art and design as a uni elective, which of course, was run in the Mac labs.

Seriously, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I've never had any probs with XP, I find it easy enough to use, and fine to look at, and beside, I bought my computer as a tool, not a piece of artwork.

See, thats the thing that ticks me off the most about Apple, the whole philosophy of Design over Functionality.

Case in point - the clear plastic one button mouse. Has man ever invented a more frustrating input device? I would rather use a balled PC mouse from 1991 than one of these? WHY THE HELL CAN'T THEY BUILD A DECENT 2 BUTTON MOUSE WITH A SCROLL WHEEL?

Apple says "Its all about simplicity, 2 buttons makes it more difficult for people to grasp"

Come on! If you can't figure out how to use a mouse with 2 buttons then something tells me you probably shouldn't be using a computer at all. In Photoshop on a PC, I use the right click function all the time. To do the same thing on a Mac you have to hold down the CTRL (sorry, 'Command') key and press the left mouse button! THATS STILL TWO BUTTONS, JUST WITHOUT THE CONVENIENCE OF HAVING THEM BOTH ON THE ONE DEVICE!!!!!

grrrr.

/rant over. :D

if it bothers you that much, buy a damn two button mouse and use it. OS X supports pretty much any type of USB mouse you could possibly want to connect to it. Those who want a one button mouse can have a one button mouse, and if they HATE it like you seem to, you can always connect one that you like.

And to all of you that says "Windows XP doesn't BSOD", try upgrading a driver (specifically anything from Silicon Image) and try and tell me it doesn't BSOD. FFS the driver that Microsoft provides in Windows update causes the machine to BSOD (and yes the problem has been escalated through Microsoft with a result of "we'll get back to you" about a year ago). The only working driver I have found is the original that came on the CD with the mobo. Hell, even Linux has a driver that's newer and actually works. Luckily the hardware was secondary hardware (not my main system controller) so my system should have continued functioning, just without the added devices.

A proper OS should alert you of the error, and let you go about your business, and ONLY if it can't continue it should die. As far as I can tell in Vista, that's still not the case, and it's even worse when network card drivers cause the system to randomly reboot with no error messages. Linux, and OSX ignore failed non-essential devices, and alert you through either logs, or dialog boxes that those devices failed.

People like different OSes, I'll agree with that, but I've found that most hatred for other operating systems is based in pre-conceptions. If you expect OS X to work like Windows, you are going to hate it. If you expect linux to work like Windows, you are going to hate it. If you use the alternative OSes with an open mind, you might find you actually like doing things differently.

hokiethang said:
And to all of you that says "Windows XP doesn't BSOD", try upgrading a driver

I update my hardware drivers quite often with no problems.

And as far as hating an OS goes, I don't hate OS X. I just get annoyed when people tell me "Even the worst MAC is better than the best PC." And yes, I've actually had someone say that too me. Another person said that the web design work I do probably isn't that good because I use a PC :lol: