F1: Indianapolis

mmap said:
Aka said:
Montoya's one of the only drivers who actually takes chances, sure they don't always work, but either result is always spectacular.

Taking chances is one thing, endangering other drivers is another.. Just ask Heidfelt if he liked the ride he received thanks to J-BM.

I am not saying that at the end of the day the first corner thing was comletely his fault after all, all I am saying is that a pattern is emerging...

Endangering other drivers?? No, I don't think so. If he was deliberately running cars into the wall at full noise, or brake-testing them you'd have a point, but he's not.

He obviously played a part in the Indy crash, however Canada was Rosberg's fault. Spinning on the warm-up lap in Australia was just a dumb mistake - most drivers commit them at some time.

If you want to look for drivers endangering others look to Ralf Schumacher at Canada, wobbling around the track dangerously off the pace.

Heidfeld has said the ride wasn't that bad, nowhere near as bad as it looked. That sort of accident is dramatic certainly, but it's part and parcel of open-wheeler racing. There were just too many cars trying to squeeze into too tight a space.

Montoya - love him or hate him - is one of the few drivers in F1 that have shown they can overtake, and that they will try and make a move - we need more drivers like that.

fbc said:
Montoya - love him or hate him - is one of the few drivers in F1 that have shown they can overtake, and that they will try and make a move - we need more drivers like that.

To put it bluntly, drivers with balls.

mmap said:
Taking chances is one thing, endangering other drivers is another.. Just ask Heidfelt if he liked the ride he received thanks to J-BM.

i believe the whole thing was heidleld's fault. he squeezed button through that corner who in turn squeezed JPM in. it was with button's car who heidfeld came into contact with.

POWERRR!! said:
mmap said:

i believe the whole thing was heidleld's fault. he squeezed button through that corner who in turn squeezed JPM in. it was with button's car who heidfeld came into contact with.

Sorry, but you are quite wrong :)
Look at this video from Speed's car: http://mxm000.in2hosting.org/nh-out_ss_usa_06.avi (1.75mb)

You can see how Montoya's collision with R?ikk?nen led to Montoya pushing Button who then collided with Heidfeld. In that order.

One of the things I hate about F1 races is, you have to perfect or your out. You tap someone, you crack your suspension and hit a wall or something. In other series, like the Rolex series, or the V8 super cars, or the Super GT, or the ALMS, they can all bump around a bit without immediately breaking their car. I mean in almost all of those series they can use duct tape .. er sorry, speed tape ;) to hold their cars together when need be.

peter3hg2 said:
Montoyas the only thing that makes it interesting to watch anymore even if he is a liability

Would it be fair for me to assume you like Sato then, he's one of the few people that can claim a better 'incident' record then Montoya? Him and his useless Japanese co-drivers, that is.

Montoya definitely won't be driving for Mclaren next year, and perhaps not even have a seat in F1. As for crash test dummy Sato and his Stupid Aguri team, I'm starting a petition to have them kicked out of F1, what a complete waste of a team, and an oppurtunity that could have gone to someone more deserving!

LoneWolf said:
peter3hg2 said:
Montoyas the only thing that makes it interesting to watch anymore even if he is a liability

Would it be fair for me to assume you like Sato then, he's one of the few people that can claim a better 'incident' record then Montoya? Him and his useless Japanese co-drivers, that is.

You can't put Montoya in the same category as Sato - Montoya has pulled off countless more successful, well-judged overtakes, while Salo just seems to like hitting people.

There's a world of difference between a driver that has the balls and ability to make a move, and one that seems to imagine gaps are there and then find they don't have the ability to fill that imaginery gap.

Sato drives like the guys in the Super GT series... Which is pretty much like how anyone plays Gran Turismo, no damage, so hit people.

Aka said:
One of the things I hate about F1 races is, you have to perfect or your out. You tap someone, you crack your suspension and hit a wall or something. In other series, like the Rolex series, or the V8 super cars, or the Super GT, or the ALMS, they can all bump around a bit without immediately breaking their car. I mean in almost all of those series they can use duct tape .. er sorry, speed tape ;) to hold their cars together when need be.

F1 is open wheel racing like any other open wheel racing series. Even in karting you're out of the race if you touch wheels.

LoneWolf said:
I'm starting a petition to have them kicked out of F1, what a complete waste of a team, and an oppurtunity that could have gone to someone more deserving!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your a joke. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you know what it takes to put together and F1 team/car? There were no brand new teams with a chassis and team ready. The only way there was going to be a full grid was if someone bought up another team and Arrows were the only team available after the Midland guys bought up the Jordan team.

Nothing they can do. At least they're getting a new chassis soon though.

matt_shaw said:
LoneWolf said:
I'm starting a petition to have them kicked out of F1, what a complete waste of a team, and an oppurtunity that could have gone to someone more deserving!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your a joke. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you know what it takes to put together and F1 team/car? There were no brand new teams with a chassis and team ready. The only way there was going to be a full grid was if someone bought up another team and Arrows were the only team available after the Midland guys bought up the Jordan team.

Nothing they can do. At least they're getting a new chassis soon though.

Yes, I do know what it takes to put an F1 team together. And I know that (a) using a four year old Arrows chassis is pointless and (b) Honda only did it to keep Sato in the sport and keep the Japanese happy. Stupid Aguri is a waste of time, money, and more importantly space. Do you know what the fans favourite race of the year is? It's Spa. And do you know why it was left off the calander this year? Because F1 had an extra team and thus needed an extra garage space, which the currently facilities at Spa could not provide.

And I don't believe the new chassis will make any difference, as long as Supid Aguri insist on putting Japanese drivers in their cars they'll continue to crash into others.

Aka said:
Sato drives like the guys in the Super GT series... Which is pretty much like how anyone plays Gran Turismo, no damage, so hit people.
You're joking right? From what I've seen drivers in Super GT are pretty clean, and passing usually happens without hitches despite having two classes running together.

Is it now? I haven't watched it recently. I just remember seeing them driving around in McLaren F1s and constantly breaking the carbon fiber body parts, yet continuing to race all the same. It was tons of fun to watch.

matt_shaw said:
They only have on Japanese driver right now though :bangin:

And just as well, if they'd have two that would mean twice as much damage. They would do themselves a big favour if they just went for a non-Japanese driver.

Z Draci said:
F1 is open wheel racing like any other open wheel racing series. Even in karting you're out of the race if you touch wheels.
I understand that. I was just saying, that's one of the things I dislike about F1, which I suppose should have said, about open wheel racing. Because you're right. But my statement stands, it does disapoint me a little, it's not as fun to watch sometimes. Though I have to say, when they go around the corner with their wheels interlocking, that's exciting.

LoneWolf said:
matt_shaw said:

And just as well, if they'd have two that would mean twice as much damage. They would do themselves a big favour if they just went for a non-Japanese driver.
That sounds rather racist man. What's wrong with japanese drivers?

Aka said:
LoneWolf said:
matt_shaw said:

That sounds rather racist man. What's wrong with japanese drivers?

No, it's not a racist comment. I don't know what it's like other there in Canada, but you often get many discussion's in the world of sports where national teams/individuals are talked about (good or bad), and you certainly get it in F1.

The simple fact is Japanese drivers who have come into F1 are $hit, pure and simple. There are many countries which would do anything to have just one driver of their nation in F1, Japan has had dozens of chances to get a driver of theirs into F1, and continues to do so, and they all turn out to be rubbish. That is not a racist comment, it's simply the truth.

I think its coz Japan always want a driver in F1 no matter how shit they are, they dont spend time to develop the drivers, and the fact is that most of them are shit, we are yet to see one good Jap F1 driver and thats just it... If Sato didnt exist u think Super Aguri would? Honda came under intense Japanese public pressure to back Sato with Honda power and now we have another 2 backmarkers... :roll:

Fredstar said:
I think its coz Japan always want a driver in F1 no matter how shit they are, they dont spend time to develop the drivers, and the fact is that most of them are shit, we are yet to see one good Jap F1 driver and thats just it... If Sato didnt exist u think Super Aguri would? Honda came under intense Japanese public pressure to back Sato with Honda power and now we have another 2 backmarkers... :roll:

Yes, exactly, and the fact that they drive as though they're playing on a computer game doesn't help either. :)

I can't think of any other country that has managed to create so many opportunities for it's drivers and delivered so little......