Question regarding Holden/Opel/Vauxall Astra 04- Model

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
I've been looking around for a car recently and after sitting in several friends Astra, I loved it so much I might go out and get a 1 or 2 year old one but a Coupe version. Does anyone here actually own an Astra by any chance? My friends are not too good source of information on the cars reliability as well as how it drives because 1. 1 friends early 05 Astra has done a mere 10,000km so far, the other one is about 2 weeks old and they know nothing about cars.

My question is are these things reliable? and also are they fun to drive? Plus I have never driven anything under 2000cc before, how do these cars perform on the highway?

and ps, I will be buying an Automatic one.

And general flaming/bashing is welcome :D, and obviously suggestions in the same price range, year wise... I'm looking for something newer than 2003.

I know someone who's got one and yeah they are fairly reliable and tick many boxes. But its not 'fun to drive'. I haven't driven one myself but its very comfortable to ride in but it certainly doesn't seem like the type of car that was designed to be fun to drive.

You sure about an Astra btw? Sure you don't want to look at something older, with more miles because you could potentially find something better to drive.

Drove one occasionally a couple of years ago. They are reliable but be careful with the automatic option. Don't know for which model you're exactly looking (hasn't there been a Turbo version of the coupe with 190hp? :) ), but the automatic gearbox is rather old fasioned offering you 4 gears only and might struggle to satisfy you if you're used to much more powerful cars.

im 95% sure coupes where never released in Oz and automatic also restrics your engine choices, since i think u can only get the 1.6 or 1.8 in automatic, while the 2.2 and the 1.8 turbo only came in manual

I've been looking around for a car recently and after sitting in several friends Astra, I loved it so much I might go out and get a 1 or 2 year old one but a Coupe version. Does anyone here actually own an Astra by any chance? My friends are not too good source of information on the cars reliability as well as how it drives because 1. 1 friends early 05 Astra has done a mere 10,000km so far, the other one is about 2 weeks old and they know nothing about cars.

My question is are these things reliable? and also are they fun to drive? Plus I have never driven anything under 2000cc before, how do these cars perform on the highway?

and ps, I will be buying an Automatic one.

And general flaming/bashing is welcome :D, and obviously suggestions in the same price range, year wise... I'm looking for something newer than 2003.

i drive one as a company car, and they're nothing to be exited about
but they never let me down either

there are a few who had the check engine light come one, one where the trunk handle doesn't work no more. but that's it, on 40 cars
oh, one more thing, sometimes the servo falls away --> fucking dangerous (and it's not like steering becomes heavy...there simply is no steering left. you gotta restart the engine and it'll work again. i had it a few times when taking off, so no biggy, but someone else had it at 90kmh, and hit a merc full on, both write off :( - but he walken away without a scratch, not even a painful neck)

handling is quite good, a lot of people who drive similar cars from another brand are quite surprised when they get into it, but what do you expect for 195 width tires on a 1.7 diesel.

i do a lot of highway, and it's easy to overtake, you drive 120kmh around 2800rpm, so max torque is closeby if you need it.
doesn't like steep hills though, you start at 140, and by the time you are on top, it dropped to around 90kmh...
top speed is around 180, and it gets there quite smooth

oh, and the car flexes in all directions, i love it. i've hit several barriers and flower-boxes (i realy should look harder when leaving parking spot), bumpers all just reform themselves to original state. and mirrors are made of lego, if it lays on the street, next to the car, it clicks right back on

price-quality, i don't think you can get much better

bone, on your phrase about the price-quality, that's what made me consider the Astra.
And about how the steering locks in place, it happened to my friends Astra the other day when he started the car, although he says its the first time it happened since owning it from 2005.
unknownspeedster, there are Astra Coupes in Australia and you're only have the 1.8l choice in Australia regardless of transmission
Mautzel, I'm looking at the current model astra and yes, there is a turbo one but considering my insurance is about 2kAUD a year already with a normal Astra, I'm not too keen on buying a Turbo one :lol:
As for fun to drive, SL, yes I would love that as a plus but I'm guessing the car will spend about 70-80% of its life within the suburbs with an occasional drive to GOR and stuff, but I love how well equipted the car is and I love the HUD on top of the aircond :D
And for something older, I've always had the earliest 98,99 E46 318i's on my mind like what I told you on msn, I looked at a few and I wasn't too sure I would like driving that BMW for another 3-4 years at least, plus the stories from E46 owners about how their early 99's 3 series are starting to have problems scared me away.
I have also thought about 03 Liberty's (oldest current gen ones), that is another very close option.
I'm going to have a look at a Astra Coupe tomorrow, I'll update you guys.
Thanks for the comments :D

unknownspeedster, there are Astra Coupes in Australia and you're only have the 1.8l choice in Australia regardless of transmission

Just to clear up the confusion - you're referring to the three door hatch as a coupe (which I see Holden does as well) yes? This one:

http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/861/holdenastracoupe2gy3.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/7302/holdenastracoupe3rj7.jpg

I have also thought about 03 Liberty's (oldest current gen ones), that is another very close option.

Great cars - steer clear of the early 2.0i models though - gutless things, the later 2.0Rs have more power (the same power as the 2.5 in fact, but less torque). I've been looking around a bit myself lately...

As for fun to drive, SL, yes I would love that as a plus but I'm guessing the car will spend about 70-80% of its life within the suburbs with an occasional drive to GOR and stuff, but I love how well equipted the car is and I love the HUD on top of the aircond :D
And for something older, I've always had the earliest 98,99 E46 318i's on my mind like what I told you on msn, I looked at a few and I wasn't too sure I would like driving that BMW for another 3-4 years at least, plus the stories from E46 owners about how their early 99's 3 series are starting to have problems scared me away.
Ohhh those 99 3-Series are tempting aren't they. Yeah we know they're not that reliable but it still isn't enough to turn you off it, is it?! :( Something older than that has some character over something like the Astra coupe. They're decent cars but you see so many of them here.

As for the Liberty's - If its the oldest of the current generation, it would be the Gen 4 (2004+), not 2003. Or are you looking at the 2003 model Gen 3's (one above my '98 Gen 2)?

Cheers

there is a turbo one but considering my insurance is about 2kAUD a year already with a normal Astra, I'm not too keen on buying a Turbo one :lol:

What!!!!!!! Who the frig is giving you that quote!?!?!?!

Ah sorry, mixed that up, thought you were talking about the last generation. (Can't believe the current one's around now for four years again!). My report referred to the last gen. Astra, I don't have any personal experiences with the current one but heared nothing bad about it either. (And take the Turbo, you only live once :twisted: - even I did :D)

Watto... I don't think an 18 year old P-plater can get anything less than 2k, I've tried AAMI, RACV and justcar.

SL65, those 3-series are still so tempting... but I just don't want to risk buying one, but I have thought to myself, that is my fav. generation of the 3 series and no would be the only time to get one before it just gets too old.
As for the Liberty, I would go for anything in the lower-end price bracket... so its either the 2.5 or 2.0... I'll have to test drive them to see.

Watto... I don't think an 18 year old P-plater can get anything less than 2k, I've tried AAMI, RACV and justcar.

Interesting. I got my car at 19, so hardly any older and was quoted $1300 by AAMI*. Maybe you live in a high risk area? Or on street parking?

I'm now rating one and down to $600. Sweet.

hmm... I live in Carlton and is parked in a secure apartment building parking... but I quoted insurance for Melbourne 3000 as I'm moving there in about a month.

Just to clear up the confusion - you're referring to the three door hatch as a coupe (which I see Holden does as well) yes? This one:

http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/861/holdenastracoupe2gy3.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/7302/holdenastracoupe3rj7.jpg

What Stupid naming of a bodyshape
This is a coupe:

1-opel_astra_coupe_02_800x600.jpg

the 3 door model is called the astra GTC over here

As for the Liberty, I would go for anything in the lower-end price bracket... so its either the 2.5 or 2.0... I'll have to test drive them to see.
Definitely go the 2.5. I drive a 2.5L and I've also driven the older 2.2 and there is a notable difference. Its just a question of it you want the 2003 model (Gen 3) as you mentioned, or the Gen 4 (2004+). What I can tell you is the Gen 4 gets all new engines whereas the Gen 3 takes on the engines of the Gen 2 (mine).

Anyway, let us know how the test drive goes!!

You can tell I'm trying to convert you into a fellow Liberty driver :mrgreen: If you lived here, I'd let you take mine for a spin!

Liberty, Better bet than an Astra if you want driving fun IMHO - Astra is a good car especially price/performance wise, do not get me wrong and you would be OK with one. I'd still prefer a (European spec) Focus and any Scooby myself tho'.

^^haha... SL65, I'm looking for the Gen4 liberty, so 2004+, I got the years mixed up :lol:... I just saw an astra yesterday

http://img257.imageshack.**/img257/5902/cimg1016za3.jpg
This one specifically, and it was a nice car.. everything I expected, comes with alot of equipment, car is only 10 months old with 17k on the clock. Warranty till 2012 (balance of new car warranty + dealer one)... it was from a very big Holden Dealer (Mantello Holden for Melbournians)... the car was at a very reasonable price and in my fav. color, Black... I'm just waiting for my parents approval and hopefully it doesn't get sold before I get my dads reply.

As for the Liberty side, I have yet looked at one yet because a. I'm going to be paying for fuel costs so I would like keeping that down and the cars would be generally older than the Astra's... but if this Astra deal doesn't go through, I will most likely look at a few Liberty's to keep my choices open

the car was at a very reasonable price and in my fav. color, Black...

Just a practical suggestion - especially with Melbourne's water restrictions - black cars look great, for around 5 mins right after you've washed them, and then they instantly look like they need to be cleaned again. Mrs fbc's car is black, and I hate it, every little bit of dust & dirt shows up, and after one drive on a wet road it's utterly filthy. First and last black car I'll ever own.