Does anyone actually *like* the Porsche Cayenne?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
These are my opinion and mine alone, i dont care if anyone disagrees with me or think my views are inflammatory:

i never liked the idea of a porsche SUV from the moment it was announced, and i really didnt like the idea of the Cayenne turbo, it feels totally wrong to have a 4 ton machine go that fast, as if slower moving SUVs were dangerous enough to smaller cars on the road.

Plus its universally accepted that the looks and styling suffer and the recent redesigns haven't improved the looks significantly.

The only good thing i can think of with the Cayenne is its reasonably popular and is basically a sellout car that generates profit for Porsche, so they have more money to develop cars that we actually like.

i know a wanna be gangster kid with a rich father who raved about it, i still think that kids retarded, thats about it

I'm not a friend of SUVs, and I don't like the looks of the Cayenne, nor do I think it fits into the Porsche portfolio. What is okay in my book is that it is well built, can actually go offroad not too bad and is fairly quickly for an SUV. Still, I'd never buy one, and if I'd be given one, I'd sell it and get something else.

Regards
the Interceptor

Don't really like SUVs, and always hated the Cayenne. Not because it's a Porsche, not because i think they're betraying their image, i just don't like it!

I like SUVs that can actually do what SUVs are supposed to do. The Cayenne can't. It's ugly, and not in an endearing kind of way.

Short answer: no.

I guess im one of the FEW that like it.
It's not my favourite but i don't hate it.

No the Porsche Cayenne is easily one of the ugliest SUVs out there (besides Ssangyong). The only reason its selling is because its cheap, and people who buy then will think that it will make them look cool. There has never been and never will be a sporty SUV. You can't have offroad pedigree without sacrificing handling and vice versa and thats the end of that.

In other words, no.

I'm not a fan and like most others here would never buy one, but you have to remember a couple of things.

A) It pretty much saved Porsche as we know them.

B) The reason they, and just about all of the luxury SUV's, are so popular is because they are a cheap and practical way of buying into the brand. Thus people buy a Cayenne and can say "I drive a Porsche" for half the price of a basic 911.

I like SUVs that can actually do what SUVs are supposed to do.
I'm not quite sure which SUVs you're referring to with this. Can you please name some that do what an SUV is supposed to do?

It's a hideous blight on the Porsche name and history. The only positive is that it generates some nice cash-flow to help make better 911s, Boxsters & Caymans. A necessary evil then in some ways.

Plain and simple, the Cayenne had to happen. It gives Porsche huge amounts of extra cash to help them keep making/developing other awesome cars, that's the only reason I like it.

It's a child that only a mother could love :) (i.e. Porsche management that's responsible for getting cash into the company)

Now, the next logical step from a sports car manufactorer that builts an SUV would be to offer a Hybrid version in order to make the Cayenne Turbo a "green" vehicle...

I don't like it but I do respect it. Its one hell of a car whether you like the looks or not. And I was next to a Turbo at the traffic lights and it bolted away from the lights making the most wonderfulness of sound!

I hate to go against the flow here, but I love the cayenne, because i think it has beem an engineering masterpiece.

I'm in the middle, I hate.. HATE it's looks, I think it's one of the uglyest cars there is. But the engineering is very good and from what I understand it's pretty good offroad and very good on it.

The real problem I have is the VW toureg has the same chassis/drivetrain. So if you want a better 4x4 with a monster diesel get the VW. If you want drive an ugly car and completely admit your a poseur get the porche, but why didn't you just get a 911 in the first place???

Well I like it for it's abilities to combine practicality and on/off road performance with luxury. The new facelifted Cayenne is also supposed to corner and go like an SUV has no right to according to EVO. The styling has also improved dramatically with the face lift, especially a Cayenne Turbo in black now actually looks good. I think the Cayenne is by far the best car on that platform with the Q7 being pointless and the Touareg being so boring you could fall asleep by just looking at it...

The Cayenne is not there just to boost incomes at Porsche and let them build other fantastic sportscars. The way things works at Porsche is that every model line must be profitable. The Boxster/Cayman line makes profit, the 911 line makes profit, Cayenne line makes profit (They sold twice as many of the outgoing model of what they expected) Even the Carrera GT contribiuted to Porsche's enormious profit, and I'm sure the Panamera will as well.

The point of the Cayenne was always the average Porsche customer, who's got more than one car. So what Porsche does is to make sure that as many of them as possible are Porsches.

Porsche needs to make an SUV to stay profitable, so it is an evil necessary.
Porsche has been ever increasingly profitable since 1994, the Cayenne was introduced in 2002, go figure...

Last edited: