2007 Turkish Grand Prix

HondaF1

Aussie Bastard
Car(s)
First Aberdeen Bus Network
turkey.jpg

Welcome to the 2007 Turkish Grand Prix at the Istanbul Park Circuit. Round 12 of the championship.

A pretty uneventful few days between this round and the last round so far. Sebastien Bourdais has been signed by STR, Spyker and Super Aguri are considering selling and for a change, no news on the Spy Case or McLaren Team Orders.

Time for the questions.

1) Who's on your podium for this race?
2) Will Ferrari put all their eggs in Kimi's basket or give both drivers equal footing still?
3) Will McLaren manage to control their drivers?
4) Can Sebastian Vettel have a good race after getting some miles under his belt in STR?
5) Nick or Robert. Who will be the higher finisher of the two?
6) How badly will Honda's aero problems show up on this high speed circuit? (be kind)

Practice begins on Friday the 24th. Until then, let the discussion begin.

Oh, and here's a proper picture of the Turkish Grand Prix...

image_humb.jpg

2) Will Ferrari put all their eggs in Kimi's basket or give both drivers equal footing still?
4) Can Sebastian Vettel have a good race after getting some miles under his belt in STR?
6) How badly will Honda's aero problems show up on this high speed circuit? (be kind)

1) 1.Raikkonen, 2.Hamilton, 3.Massa.
2) Kimi is the man now.
3) Alonso will spit the dummy.
4) He will have a slightly better race.
5) Nick.
6) They'll finish just ahead of Spyker...

1) I think Lewis will make but maybe not the middle spot, and Kimi seems to be determined to get a win

2) I think they'll give both drivers and equal footing after what's happening at McLaren, like McLaren they both have top running drivers

3) No - Pit crew will be given batons and shields to attempt to keep the peace ;)

4) Nope - Cars still too slow

5) I think it will be Nick, managed to get more points this year than Robert

6) They will be lapped by a Turkey :lol:

1) Raikkonen. Alonso to take Hamilton in a repeat of the fantastic Prost-Senna battles. Heidfeld second, Webber third.
2) Yep - now that Schumi's not coming to the races to put his weight behind Massa, the engineers are going to realise that Massa only really goes well when he's out in front. If he screws up qualifying (or the team screws up his race strategy), he's lost.
3) No - see point 1.
4) Who cares?
5) Heidfeld. Kibica hasn't looked the same since the Canadian GP shunt.
6) A turkey (painted orange, like a Spyker) will qualify ahead of both hondas.

1) Its Massa's turn to win isn't it. So him, then oh I dunno....Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton.
2) Yeah both drivers still on equal terms
3) Hopefully...
4) Don't care really.
5) I'd say Nick
6) They are the turkeys.

First off.....ROFL at the Turkey picture.

1) Podium make up of Kimi Alonso and Massa/Hamilton/Hiedfeld
2) Since both drivers are pretty much equal they will give them equal footing, but it won't matter because Kimi will smash Massa, unless Massa gets pole.
3) Yes I think things will have calmed down, I don't reckon it will affect the race
4) He will still be near the back of the field. Car just isn't good enough
5) I think Nick but Lurch will push him all the way. Both cars in top 6, maybe top 5.
6) Honda will be s-l-o-w, but Renault may also suffer. Haven't had a power circuit for a while so should be very very interesting to see who has now got the pace. As the next three races are all power circuits could mix the championship up nicely.

Lastly, this track is one of Tilke's best. Very nice race circuit.

I really hope neither McLaren or Ferrari win this race. I'd like to see Fisichella win it, my goldfish died a few days ago, I called him Fishykella, none of my roommates knew why, stupid non-f1-watching aussies.

Anyway, also hope Alonso bridges the gap between lewis, maybe he can finish 2nd and Lewis have a engine failure or something.

Sorry to hear about your goldfish mate, but Fisi will be lucky to get points let alone win. I can't see anyone other than the Macca or Fezza winning this year.

I really hope neither McLaren or Ferrari win this race. I'd like to see Fisichella win it, my goldfish died a few days ago, I called him Fishykella, none of my roommates knew why, stupid non-f1-watching aussies.

Anyway, also hope Alonso bridges the gap between lewis, maybe he can finish 2nd and Lewis have a engine failure or something.

Sorry to hear about your fish, but that was a genius name for it. :lol:

Honda promises Turkey turnaround

Honda has promised to improve its performance in the Turkish Grand Prix next week after its woeful showing in Hungary.

Rubens Barrichello finished last of the runners behind Adrian Sutil's Spyker, while Jenson Button retired.

But the team'ss senior technical director Shuhei Nakamoto has promised there will be no repeat in Istanbul

"We have been working very hard at the factory during the three-week break since the Hungarian Grand Prix to analyse the problems that we experienced in that race and to continue developing the car," he said.

"Everyone at the team was very disappointed with our performance at the Hungaroring and although we recognise the RA107 particularly struggled at this type of high downforce circuit, we are making all possible efforts to improve our current situation.

"The next race should be more suited to our car and we expect to be able to fight more effectively in the midfield.

"We need to keep looking forward, maintain our motivation and work hard."

Button remains upbeat ahead of the Turkish GP despite Hungary and says he is looking forward to returning to the popular Istanbul Speed Park.

"The Turkish Grand Prix has quickly become one of my favourite races on the F1 calendar," he said.

"There are some really good overtaking opportunities at turn one and turn three where I gained a place in the race last year.

"You also have a chance at passing into turns nine and twelve.

"To get a really quick lap around this circuit, you really need to consciously push hard all the way round and use the track's camber to your full advantage," he added.

"I have had a couple of great races here in the last two years to finish in the top six, and whilst our performance isn't quite there this year, I am expecting an improvement from the last race."

Source

I'd like to believe them, I really would, but then I saw who was talking to the media and I have no faith in him.

^ I'm sure they have made improvements since Hungary, the only problem is that every other team will have as well.

^ I'm sure they have made improvements since Hungary, the only problem is that every other team will have as well.

Well, it'd be easier for them to do better, than it would be for them to get an even worse result than Hungary.

Spyker B-spec car debut delayed
Thursday, 23, August, 2007, 11:11

Spyker has been forced to delay the debut of its B-spec car until the Italian Grand Prix after it failed Formula 1?s standard rear crash test.

The Silverstone-based squad had been expected to race with its upgraded F8-VII for the first time in Turkey this weekend but announced on Thursday morning that it had ?unexpectedly? failed the test.

The team will now revert to the A-spec cars it has used since the beginning of the season.

'It's obviously very disappointing to delay the launch, especially considering the hard work that everyone at the factory and track has put in,? said its chief technology officer Mike Gascoyne.

?Unfortunately last week we had an unexpected failure of the rear crash test, possibly due to problems with a batch of material used.

?Unfortunately all the other structures available we had to test were from this batch and the modifications we tried to make were not sufficient.

?These tests are quite rightly very stringent and difficult to pass, but we did not expect to have a problem as the structure is very similar to the A spec one.

?We are confident that we understand the problem however and should be able to pass with no problems next week.

Gascoyne admits it is disappointing that it will have to revert to the old car as it had hoped to close the gap with the upgraded version to its nearest rivals at the back of the field in Istanbul.

However one upside is that the team will now have the chance to properly track test the car for the first time at the Monza test next week.

?We will now concentrate on doing the best we can this weekend,? he said.

?As we were aware we had a problem we brought two A spec cars as well as two B spec cars, so we will not have any problems switching back, but it's just disappointing not to have the performance increase as planned.

?On a more positive note, we will now be able to test the car at the pre-Italian Grand Prix test next week at Monza, which should allow us to be in better shape."

Source

I doubt it would've been much of an improvement anyway.

It would have been half a second quicker, but still at the back of the grid as everyone else is half a second quicker. (well almost everyone :cry:)

you know I really wanted Spyker to have enough strength to stay in F1 for a couple of years and see what they can do. Look at Super Aguri, everyone was bashing it last year and now they have 4 points (granted it's the old Honda, but the upgrades and energy behind the team is an impressive effort). But by the looks of things I doubt we will see the orange car next year.

But Spyker dont bring anything to the sport. They whinge too much, are always at the back of the grid and signed Yamamoto for christ sake when theres other drivers available.

Id personally like to see them Yellow again and with a man name EJ in charge.

But Spyker dont bring anything to the sport. They whinge too much, are always at the back of the grid and signed Yamamoto for christ sake when theres other drivers available.

Id personally like to see them Yellow again and with a man name EJ in charge.

Not just yellow mate, but with a hornet on the nose, a couple of busty blondes hanging around, big brash parties, EJ with his drum kit...

Those were the days :(

And a couple of good drivers capable of winning!

I really hope Lewis can do another two-in-a-row, with Massa second and Raikonen third.