Melbourne Meetup Cruise Poll - Vote on a route here

Melbourne Meetup Cruise Poll - Vote on a route here

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flyingfridge

Car(s)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, VW Passat 118TSI
Ok, here are the suggestions for cruise routes fully mapped out. Both are awesome drives, the spurs to the northeast of Melbourne are incredible as is the GOR. Be sure to vote and we'll get this thing organised!

My date suggestion is Sunday the 14th of October, that gives everyone ample time to plan their schedules.

Option 1: The GOR and the Otways
Map of GOR and the Otways route

Meet at Hartley St next to Subaru@Docklands at about 8.30am. Head to Torquay for the GOR. Lunch at the Apollo Bay pub followed by a loop through the superb roads up to Lavers Hill, Colac and back through the Otways via Forrest. Then back to Melbourne via the GOR. This route also gives us the opportunity to meet up with SileNceR from Warrnambool at Apollo Bay and he can join us for lunch and the loop. Google Maps run time for this drive is 528 km ? about 8 hours 25 mins without stops.

Mantra-Erskine-Beach-Resort-Lorne-Great-Ocean-Road.jpg
Otway_Ranges3.jpg

Option 2: Kinglake, Chum Creek Rd, Black Spur and Reefton Spur.
Map of suggested Spurs route

Meet at the LaTrobe University at about 10am. The route goes up through the very twisty road from Hurstbridge to Kinglake (the roads where Brocky learned his craft) stop in Kinglake for a morning coffee. Then, across from Kinglake to Toolangi where the awesome Chum Creek road begins and down to Healesville. Head northeast from Healesville along the famed Black Spur drive, with a stop at the top for lunch at the Black Spur Inn. Then around the loop along the famous Reefton Spur to Reefton, up Mt Donna Buang from Warburton and back to Healesville. Then back across the picturesque Yarra Valley through Yarra Glen and back to Melbourne. Google Maps run time for this drive is 260 km ? about 4 hours 43 mins without stops.

97.jpg
0,,5446752,00.jpg

The poll will run for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I think option 2 is probably a better bet, option 1 is a long way.

Needless to say whatever is chosen people driving like fucksticks aren't welcome 8)

Mildura is out as far as i'm concerned. It's an 8 hour drive from melbourne and the drive is boring as shit. It is NOT a day trip. My hometown of Warracknabeal (look at Mildura and then go south) is a 4 hour drive away and I can't do that as a day trip without leaving ridiculously early in the morning and I can't get back before 11-12 at night if i want to make it worthwhile. going that far is just not worth the effort unless you want to do it over an entire weekend. Most people are not going to be able to commit that kind of time. A day trip on some top quality tarmac makes much more sense.

Route 2 is a great day trip with plenty of opportunity for social stops. I did a similar route last weekend and had a ball. My mates and I spent almost as much time out of the cars talking than we did driving. The roads and scenery are incredible and you can take it at a much more leisurely rate than option 1. You can stop and have really relaxed breaks, a long lunch all in all a sensational day.

Last edited:
I think I would go for Option 1, as stated in other threads, I will most likely drive my Civic (Unless I really go ahead and trade the civic for another car which I just test drove and loved, plus it is about 5-6k cheaper but older :D) which is an Auto plus no coilovers, no sway bars or upgraded brakes and black spur will not be very exciting for me, plus besides flyingfridge, hidden and fbc, I think the rest of us are going in normal family cars. Although I'm not encourging F1 driving, but Blackspur will be very narrow with nothing much to see compared to GOR where we get some sun, great views and good photo points... I am also a Sea person compared to Mountains.

Finally, If we do GOR, we might have a chance that some Adelaide people can join us.

When my mates and I did Black Spur and Chum Creek road last week, one of us was in a lifted Suzuki Grand Vitara....

Trust me, if the vitara can take it, any car can. There's no stipulation that you have to drive hard either. The scenery on both drives is equally spectacular and Black Spur isn't as narrow as you think. It's no narrower than the GOR.

^hmm... but I still like GOR :p... I personally like the views of the sea alot more than the mountain, something about too much green makes the air smell funny :D... and I've heard from some places that on the blackspur, some roads are quite steep and you're brakes will be gone if you're not in a manual and can do some engine braking.

nah, black spur isn't that steep at all. the reason I voted option 2 was because it's less ambitious in terms of distance and it's a more relaxed, more social day.

but seriously i'm good either way, they're both awesome drives, we'll see how the vote comes out.

Last edited:
I voted for the Spur option, the GoR is great (duh) but it's just too bloody long. The Spurs is a fantastic bit of tarmac and the scenery is magical, too.

basically neither of those suit me due to me having to commitee a weekend that i cant afford to take off work, so i cant attend. though enjoy it.

Yeah, Im out too, but have fun. Both sound like great fun.

When my mates and I did Black Spur and Chum Creek road last week, one of us was in a lifted Suzuki Grand Vitara....

Lifted ME! I haven't heard that expression since I stopped prowling the evo forums :lol: although rereading that you may just mean a lift kit?

Although I really only lurk here these days I'd prefer a pub run as I do a huge GOR run with my car club in 4 weeks.

Anyone been to Garage cafe? That's a fantastic venue where you can park your car inside next to the bar!

Rob.

so... is only 5 people coming on this cruise/meet?... where is Hidden Hunter, fbc, MixTrix, beetle and crew?

^ I'll hopefully be there (regardless of route) - I've just got some other major stuff to deal with at the moment.

yup, i should be able to come. like fbc, im a lil busy with some stuff at the moment.
um... whatever route should be fine, although i've already been GOR, so the other one will be a new experience :)

just so long as my trusty camry can make it, its all good. heheh

im here andy,
yea like fbc and mixtrix i might be able to come but need to sort out some stuff first
hopefully i can get my bro's car to go.

I'll see what I can do. I'd like to come, but trying to organise a roadtrip to Brisbane at the moment which is proving difficult :p

We got any particulars going? I.E. Just FG members or can I bring my GF/other mates for a ride?