Why no Mclaren F1's?

APIOQM

Hey guys, why doesn't Top Gear have Any Mclaren F1's (GTR, LM and GT included) on their lap board?

Welkl, the leaderboard is for cars they have tested on TG in its current format. And probally, they must be new cars too.

I'm curious about how old supercars compare to new ones on the track, like the XJ220, Porsche 959, Ferrari F40, Bugatti EB110 etc. Just based on numbers I think the F1 GTR would get a good time, but if they tested that I'd like to see the rest as well.

I'm curious about how old supercars compare to new ones on the track, like the XJ220, Porsche 959, Ferrari F40, Bugatti EB110 etc. Just based on numbers I think the F1 GTR would get a good time, but if they tested that I'd like to see the rest as well.

Didn't they do a F40 once? I'm vaguely remembering that, big chance I'm wrong though :)

They had Mclaren F1, Ferrari F40 and XJ220 on the track but they didn't do a lap time, it was old supercars vs new supercars episode 5x02

... the newest McLarenF1 would be 9 Years old now the oldes ones 14 Years, and time takes it?s toll on Cars. Cars are not Wine, they never get better from they day they?ve left the factory. If not modified (what would mean it wouldn?t count anymore), they are best served fresh and can?t be compared some Years later.
It wouldn?t be fair putting a 9 Year old, used Car on there with all the fresh out of the Factory Supercars. What?s that gonna prove?

Age has nothing to do with it. Jeremy simply hates the F1 and that's why they are not testing it again.
If it was about age, then the Aston DB5 should not be on the board.

[...]If it was about age, then the Aston DB5 should not be on the board.
Fair Point but the Db5 was a modified car, not an original DB5. Modifications to suspention, Engine, Brakes ... the lot. On the engineering side, it was more of a "new" Car than the 1960ies one. Apart from that, of 124 Cars currently on the Board, that would only be the one exeption to the rule (wich isn?t so much of a rule, more of an observation).

edit: I?ll take the first bit back ... just looked it up and I am wrong:cry:. The DB5 was on original, it was the E-type wich was modified ... sry, mixed them up. The DB5 then only remains the exception to the rule :)

Last edited:
They've got their hands full with testing new cars as it is. It would be interesting to compare with old cars but I'm 100% sure even the McLaren F1 would have trouble keeping up with the modern supercars and they have hinted at this a lot of times on Top Gear.

They've got their hands full with testing new cars as it is.
Huh? It seems to me they are more into cocking about these days. Or by new cars you mean the Lancia Beta, Opel Kaddett, Triumph Herald, VW Transporter...?

(just kidding, I know what you meant)

McLaren F1 would be right up there. Independent track test by EVO around Bedford had Carrera GT fastest, McLaren F1 then the Enzo. Although there was nothing in it.

Because the McLaren F1 is more than a decade old (Top Gear tend to test only new cars) and because Clarkson doesn't really like it all that much.

... the newest McLarenF1 would be 9 Years old now the oldes ones 14 Years, and time takes it?s toll on Cars. Cars are not Wine, they never get better from they day they?ve left the factory. If not modified (what would mean it wouldn?t count anymore), they are best served fresh and can?t be compared some Years later.
It wouldn?t be fair putting a 9 Year old, used Car on there with all the fresh out of the Factory Supercars. What?s that gonna prove?

lies! Many times i have read engines are actually at there best mechanically around 40k. And if nothing else a car is better when its 1 year old simply because you won't be inhaling toxic fumes.

I sorta wish they would test the Mac F1. It's such a supercar benchmark. I'd certainly like to compare it to the latest and greatest.

i completely agree, its really the only reason i stopped paying attention to pickup trucks (American) when i was 10 years old and took up a interest in cars.

Because the McLaren F1 is more than a decade old (Top Gear tend to test only new cars) and because Clarkson doesn't really like it all that much.

That's a silly system, they should test the cars whether or not Clarkson likes them. He apparently didn't like the MC12 at all but they had a good long review about it and was even at the top of their power board.

That's a silly system, they should test the cars whether or not Clarkson likes them. He apparently didn't like the MC12 at all but they had a good long review about it and was even at the top of their power board.
I was only being half-serious about that bit.

I want to see a Veyron on the track before an F1. I mean Clarkson was bragging that the F1 can hit 120mph before the Veyron starts off the line, and the Veyron would beat it to 200mph. I know, not the point of this thread, but the old benchmarking standards seem to go obsolete quickly in this high horsepower days.