Spied : 2008 Jaguar XJ Facelift

top_gear_fan

Car(s)
Lexus GS430
It appears that Jaguar are planning a small facelift of the current XJ model, which will appear in 07/08.This facelift is apparantly codenamed X358. It will feature small exterior and interior modifications, which will take it through until 09/10 when the car is replaced.

Autocar has managed to snap the car, and a scan of the article can be seen below:

http://img296.imageshack.**/im...8.jpg

Close up shots of the car:

http://img81.imageshack.**/img81/1835/zoom1qg3.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.**/img55/1664/zoom2ml0.jpg

SOURCE: AUTOCAR

It looks like it trying to look like an Xj-meets-Lincoln MKZ

Why they would do that, I have no freakin' clue...

It looks just like a cardboard box. The front screams of cardboard box and the back is a lot like a cardboard box. God, these designers are retarded crack-addicted monkeys, it's such a blatant ripoff of a cardboard box! company should sue them, can they be any more unoriginal? It's a Jaguar Cardboard Box. Oh wait, they're owned by Ford, and Ford is American, therefore no blood for oil they automatically suck and are gonna go out of business sometime in the next 5 minutes.

:sleep:

Last edited:
It has BMW kidney grilles.:blink:
I noticed that too. It's a very long distance shot but I could swear those lights (front) are lifted off a 3-Series...

Regarding the XJ as a whole - what do people think of it's 'change nothing' design? It really hasn't changed that much over the years and looks like it'll keep largely the same shape.

I really don't mind. Yes many of you will think it's boring and it's the same as 20-years ago but I figure this car caters for a niche market within that luxo-barge segment. They're not aiming for mass sales like Merc, Bimmer, Audi and Lexus. I think that's kinda cool that you don't see many of them...

I like the XJ in all of its forms.

It is actually on the short list for my fantasy garage as my long distance cruiser car. I would want the Super V8 version though which is basicly a XJR drivetrain in the Vanden Plas long wheel base body.

I haven't seen any, but are there any "artists' rederings" that have been spawned from these shots yet from the likes of Motortrend, Car & Driver, etc etc?

I really don't mind. Yes many of you will think it's boring and it's the same as 20-years ago but I figure this car caters for a niche market within that luxo-barge segment. They're not aiming for mass sales like Merc, Bimmer, Audi and Lexus. I think that's kinda cool that you don't see many of them...

Exactly. Jaguar (try to) cater to the guys that consider BMW's and Mercs far too vulgar and loud and "alpha male". That's cool in its own way.

I like the XJ in all of its forms.

It is actually on the short list for my fantasy garage as my long distance cruiser car. I would want the Super V8 version though which is basicly a XJR drivetrain in the Vanden Plas long wheel base body.
Love the Super V8 and Portfolio models...mmm nice names :lol:
http://img100.imageshack.**/img100/9378/3tt2.jpg

Here are some other pics of the facelift XJ:
http://img186.imageshack.**/img186/3910/1lb4.jpg
http://img186.imageshack.**/img186/9435/2xk1.jpg

The new XJ gets those Range Rover style side-vents standard. That's the only noticeable change.

Always loved the XJ. Sure, the styling hasn't changed much, but I guess you could say the same thing about Porsches? XJ is going on strong for a car that dates back to the 80s!

I bet there will be very little updates, just make it look a bit more modern.. Think X300>X308 changes. Somehow I don't think the side grills will be standard across the range.. Maybe that's just a Super V8 there?

I bet there will be very little updates, just make it look a bit more modern.. Think X300>X308 changes. Somehow I don't think the side grills will be standard across the range.. Maybe that's just a Super V8 there?
The Super V8 gets chrome door mirrors (yeah it's a bit much, but meh :p ) and this car doesn't have it.

And it gets those side vents according to the article I got the pics from. They also say that an insider says that they are going to go all modern with the new XJ. What a shame. They'll ruin that badge.

The Super V8 gets chrome door mirrors (yeah it's a bit much, but meh :p ) and this car doesn't have it.

And it gets those side vents according to the article I got the pics from. They also say that an insider says that they are going to go all modern with the new XJ. What a shame. They'll ruin that badge.

Oh, missed that.

I really do hope they don't screw it up :cry: From the looks of it, just a mild update..

The XJ is a classic of design, and it's one of my absouloute favorite cars.

It looks just a bit slimmer at the front and rear... Odd, not sure I like that.

The interior is going modern? Oh dear. Bye bye Jaguar. That is something for the X-Type, or the XK, not the XJ. The folk who buy the XJ are looking for an almost old-world car, with modern mechanicals. If that car gets it's innards coated with matt black and brushed aluminium, I will scream. It looks superb with dark walnut trim and deep red seats... in the deep red paint, a Long wheelbase Super V8 has only one shortfall for me: The gearbox. I'm a manual fanatic, and I know the XJ6 could be had with three pedals back in the day, and I'd lust after a manual XJR-R... It's such an appealing mix, I'd have to think very carefully to pick between a Caterham CSR and this...(polar opposites, I know :p)

Horray! An S-Type replacement! That car looks... Strange at best.

looks nice. i've always liked the XJ better than the X-type and any other large cars, and now it looks even better. side vents make it look less like a grandad car and a llot sportier. it certainly looks lower and longer than the old one, and super V8 always sounds good :D. liking the big rims too.

The XJ is a classic of design, and it's one of my absouloute favorite cars.

It looks just a bit slimmer at the front and rear... Odd, not sure I like that.

The interior is going modern? Oh dear. Bye bye Jaguar. That is something for the X-Type, or the XK, not the XJ. The folk who buy the XJ are looking for an almost old-world car, with modern mechanicals. If that car gets it's innards coated with matt black and brushed aluminium, I will scream. It looks superb with dark walnut trim and deep red seats... in the deep red paint, a Long wheelbase Super V8 has only one shortfall for me: The gearbox. I'm a manual fanatic, and I know the XJ6 could be had with three pedals back in the day, and I'd lust after a manual XJR-R... It's such an appealing mix, I'd have to think very carefully to pick between a Caterham CSR and this...(polar opposites, I know :p)

They offered a 5-Speed manual on the XJ40, actually.

Damn I wish the family XJ40 had the no cost option of the 5 speed instead of the jerky 4 speed GM box :mad:

Yeah, I know the one you mean. That's still in the base model Commodore, isn't it? *is thrown through windscreen by downshift*