Crysis: DX9 vs. DX10: is there a difference?

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
Crysis: DX9 vs. DX10: is there a difference?

If you think so, it seems as if it's mostly in your head :)

Hardocp.com wanted to find out, so they did a bunch of tests and here's what they discovered:

"When playing the game it was near impossible to tell the difference between DX9 and DX10"

"Taking the ?Pepsi Challenge? in Crysis comparing IQ between DX9 and DX10 would likely end in a draw. Only upon very close examination of screenshots could we truly identify the differences."

"NVIDIA GPU based video cards have no real-world gameplay differences between DX9 and DX10, so there is no reason not to run in DX10. AMD ATI GPU based video cards do suffer a performance penalty for using DX10. If you are running an NVIDA GPU based video card, continue to run in DX10, but if you are running an AMD ATI GPU based video card you might want to consider running in DX9 for the best Crysis experience."

Full Article:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ4MCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Last edited:
Isn't this ignoring the fully destructible environment feature that DX10 gives you?

Is this ignoring the fully destructible environment feature that DX10 gives you?

These tests are all about performance and image quality.

I've only played Crysis in DX9, and every thing seemed pretty destructible, so what is the extra destructiveness that DX10 provides?

These tests are all about performance and image quality.

I've only played Crysis in DX9, and every thing seemed pretty destructible, so what is the extra destructiveness that DX10 provides?

What about the buildings. Can you demolish them? I haven't played it on DX10, but supposedly that is what you get. I can destroy trees and other parts of the environment etc on DX9 if thats what you mean(?)

Well then it must be the fact I have a rubbish computer and have all the settings on 'Medium' when playing.

No, I had mine all on medium (damn old video card <_< ) and it could punch buildings to the ground in strength mode.

well i dunno.. never played Crysis in DX9 before.
But i do have an ATi card, so i might as well as give that a try.

No, I had mine all on medium (damn old video card <_< ) and it could punch buildings to the ground in strength mode.

Ooo! I'll have to try then... I always wanted destructiveness on that scale:D

That rapes my computer. It's nice and smooth if I'm not doing anything new, but if I start driving or something, big lag. I probably need 4GB of RAM. :lol:

4gb ram does not help much, i tried it last week with my sister's ram plugged in my pc. Didnt do much to Crysis.

anti-aliasing is a killer on video cards : (

anti-aliasing is a killer on video cards : (

I don't run AA. At 1680x1050 (Crysis is the one game that I can't run at 1920x1200), AA isn't needed nearly as badly.

I still haven't played crysis yet, so maybe I should go off and get a copy somewhere...

If you have a PC that can play it on medium or high, then get it, otherwise don't. The plot of the story isn't that awesome (it's not bad, just not awesome) and the eye candy is a big part of the game IMO.

Nice graphics. Kind of boring gameplay though.

I played around with it, "Ooo"ed and "Aww"ed over the graphics for a little bit, then moved on to other games :)

If you have a PC that can play it on medium or high, then get it, otherwise don't. The plot of the story isn't that awesome (it's not bad, just not awesome) and the eye candy is a big part of the game IMO.

My PC:

Intel C2D E6700 OC'ed
2GB DDR2-800 Ram
Asus EN8800GTS 320mb
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe

This should run crysis alright yeah?