Overweight prisoner sues over weight loss

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
Saw this on another forum:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7370362.stm

An overweight prisoner in the United States is suing the authorities for not feeding him enough after he lost about seven stone (45kg) in jail.

Broderick Lloyd Laswell, who is awaiting trial for murder, dropped to 22 stone (140kg) after eight months inside the Arkansas prison.

He claims his vision has gone blurry while trying to exercise.

The prison says the meals average 3,000 calories a day - more than the US recommended daily intake for adults.

Laswell has filed a federal law suit complaining Benton County jail does not provide inmates with enough food.

Hungry again

According to the suit, Laswell weighed 29 stone (187kg) when he was jailed in September.

Police say he has been charged with fatally beating and stabbing a man, the Associated Press news agency reported.

"On several occasions I have started to do some exercising and my vision went blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out," he wrote in his complaint.

"About an hour after each meal my stomach starts to hurt and growl. I feel hungry again."

He then goes on to complain about the lack of physical exercise, adding: "The only reason we lost weight in here is because we are literally being starved to death."

The suit also asks that the county be ordered to serve hot meals instead of cold food.

CN: He started out at 410 pounds, now weights 310 and is sueing because he only gets 3000 calories a day, which is MORE then you should have in a day anyways. He is also claiming that they are "starving them to death."

Im so happy my tax dollars are being put to good use :p

Wait, a Fatty McFat Fat lost weight, and he's upset about this?!

The world has gone nuts.

It doesn't amaze me, seriously I'm no longer amazed at what people will do/complain about/sue over.

I don't think I've ever heard of the "stone" unit.

Wait, a Fatty McFat Fat lost weight, and he's upset about this?!

The world has gone nuts.

He's upset that he doesnt get to eat like a king in prison...

actually he's probably happy about the weight loss, but he's just using it as an excuse to sue and get $$$

It doesn't amaze me, seriously I'm no longer amazed at what people will do/complain about/sue over.

I don't think I've ever heard of the "stone" unit.

Ounces, pounds and stone for weight (along with feet and inches for height) are still used throughout the UK, because people are stupid and resistant to change. I think the reasons they are used are historical.

Most people will be able to tell you their height in feet or weight in stones, but not in kilos or cm/m. Personally I don't understand feet / stones, and prefer kilos and metres as they work on a nice base ten level.

People like their pounds / stones so much there's one butcher called the "metric martyr" who risks being sued by the EU for not displaying weights and prices in both grams and pounds...

Ounces, pounds and stone for weight (along with feet and inches for height) are still used throughout the UK, because people are stupid and resistant to change.
Oh dear, is that what you think - I am stupid am I? Thanx.

Quick, give him the chair!

Ladies and Gentlemen, the next stop on this service is Earth. Please mind the gap between the train and intelligence.

I could see him suing if he had started out at 210 pounds and then lost 100. But 310 pounds hardly qualifies as being dangerously underweight. Just stop giving him food altogether until he shuts up about it. I'm sure he'd shut up pretty quickly. It's prison, not a health club, and you're in there for a reason.

Oh dear, is that what you think - I am stupid am I? Thanx.

No, of course not. I was being facetious; it's pretty much all I do :)

Pounds/stone and feet/inches are from the UK's history and is part of the UK tradition, along with pounds and pence.

I just don't understand people who fall on their sword and cause a fuss when they hear that markets and farmers will have to offer their produce in both pounds/ounces and kilos. Having both seems like a neat compromise that keeps both sides happy.

Yes, I know, deep down it's all about the "meddling EU" and their "straight bananas will be banned"...

:wall: I hope the judge laughs in his face.

He's upset that he doesnt get to eat like a king in prison...

actually he's probably happy about the weight loss, but he's just using it as an excuse to sue and get $$$

Yep.

What, no fried chicken in prison? If being fat makes him happy, losing weight is the best punishment for him. He's using tax payer's money to eat, then he complains about the food and not having enough calories. You don't expect KFC and Burger King in prison, because well, it's prison.

He should be happy they feed him at all.

Ignorance and stupidity are my countries costliest commodity.