[09x03] February 11th, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol none taken. the obesity problem in this country is absurd.

and i'm not trying to say that i cant take a joke, what IS annoying is when they continually harp on Americans as being slow-witted, fat and dumb...which is entirely untrue.

i also think its funny that they come to our country to insult us and say that we are ignorant of their culture. pot meet kettle...

also, it bothers me when they try to skew the results in favor of european cars...like the range rover test in TGTBTU...a jeep SUV would have probably done just fine in that test...AND is about 30 grand cheaper then that range rover...

i really hope that this episode DOSENT go the way of the hick cliche's and i hope that they take time to possibly shed some light into how the american car companies like ford and GM are failing and what this could mean to the global car market.

When I watched TGTBTU I was asking myself the same thing, "Why didn't they use a jeep for this challenge??" Well it's pretty obvious Clarkson is trying to make his point anyway he can. Most of the time when Clarkson goes off about American's my reaction is, "yea, yea...well, he is kind of right" but in that movie, he does go way overboard. Whatever though, thats just Jeremy.

Richard seems to be alot more un biased though. Unfortunetly about the hicke cliche's/America bashing I'm sure there will be plenty, I mean for god's sakes they ARE going to Florida more specifically Miami for that matter (no offense to anyone in Florida)

the only thing i can do is watch it and see how it goes, hopefully they wont stray to far off course with the anti-american sentiment.

This is going to be totally unrealistic!!! I am a college student now in USA and want to buy a car for about 1000usd, which is ok, but the INSURANCE QUOTES I get are insane! 3500usd per year when the car is only 1000! So I don't know how the Top gear guys will manage to buy a car and pay it's insurance even for a month and spend less than 1000.

Probably...oh and I messed up wih my previous post. Their quotes will be a lot less than mine, since I am 20 and got my license only a year ago.

Its never a problem when the Americans make fun of other places. Its never a problem when Top Gear make fun of the Italians, la French, or ze Germans. Ohs noes! Jeremy says something bad about America!!!!!!1111elevens

You're going to have to refresh my memory...when was the last time Jeremy made AN ENTIRE DVD devoted to nothing but slamming the Italians, la French, or ze Germans' cars AND people through obviously biased comparison tests and stupid stereotypes. I much preferred it when American cars couldn't turn, German and Japanese cars were dull, and Italian and British cars fell apart like they were made of tinfoil and scotch tape. We've gone beyond that point now. I really hope TG doesn't continue that sort of slide into lowest-common-denominator entertainment.

Last edited:
You're going to have to refresh my memory...when was the last time Jeremy made AN ENTIRE DVD devoted to nothing but slamming the Italians, la French, or ze Germans' cars AND people through obviously biased comparison tests and stupid stereotypes. I much preferred it when American cars couldn't turn, German and Japanese cars were dull, and Italian and British cars fell apart like they were made of tinfoil and scotch tape. We've gone beyond that point now. I really hope TG doesn't continue that sort of slide into lowest-common-denominator entertainment.

Jeremy does goes a bit overboard with the insults and stereotypes, but it's still fun to watch. Who cares what other countries think? If they truly beleive every word JC says about Americans then they are not worth the time. It just so happens that us Americans are a bit sensative now a days because of our President and foriegn policy. We just happen to be in the spotlight. Other countries don't want to be protreyed in a negative way either. Hell, look at Germany. They're afraid to show any national pride for fear of being called Nazis.

..and for the record, I beleive I remember seeing a report that the UK is struggling with growing percentages of obese people aswell. We're not the only fat asses.

Anyways, my point is that it's all in good fun, and you just have to let it slide. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Our cars are shit and we eat too much? Yeah so.. I knew that, I don't need some egotistical British Automotive journalist to tell me that.

I want to see them drive the Saleen S7TT. Will that ever happen, or is it too far off their radar?

Same here for the Mosler as well. I'm still expecting good things from this episode. That is unless America is involved in a fatal collision with another country thus they might have to edit out the bits with America.

i'd like to see Jeremy's thoughts to American versions of cars sold in europe.
example: saturn aura (vauxhall vectra), etc.

of all places in america to visit, they go to the South. which is a place many americans make fun of anyway.

i wonder if they'll make any references to the american top gear (the re-edited uk shows and brand new)

Last edited:
i'd like to see Jeremy's thoughts to American versions of cars sold in europe.
example: saturn aura (vauxhall vectra), etc.

of all places in america to visit, they go to the South. which is a place many americans make fun of anyway.

i wonder if they'll make any references to the american top gear (the re-edited uk shows and brand new)

Yeah, it would be interesting to see what he thinks about the rebadged european cars. There is not that many though. Saturn is the only company that has really begun bringing over other cars. Hopefully other companies will catch on.

Ofcoarse they go to the south, that's where they can find most things to make fun of. They're gonna go to the bayou in Louisianna, surely they will have some fun there.

I actually just saw the American recut of TG today on the Science Channel. It felt so wierd. I had to shut it off because I couldn't stand it. Everytime they mention the price of the car, they have put the price in USD, like I'm we're to dumb to convert it.

I predict a finalgear comunity riot after this episode! LOL
Caos will come upon our beloved forum...
Anybody wants to make a bet?

I'm most surprised that they are only given $1000 bucks. That's only 500 quid.

I can't even buy a 10 year old car with that much money.

That's probably why they're doing to be honest. British people like making fun of Americans, they like it when TV shows make fun of Americans so it makes sense that Top Gear (a show made for a British audience) will go to the part of America easiest to take the piss out of.

I doubt this episode will have any serious reviews in it to be honest, it will more likely be a massive lets slag off America fest.

Oh and ?500 is a lot compared to the ?100 car challenge.

I live in the 'south' (although Texas can be considered its own thing), and I don't mind the bashing. The one thing we can all be sure of is this upcoming episode will be memorable. Hammond will finally share in my pain, as it seems he will have to deal with the crappy ride comfort of an American pickup truck. It sucks being a poor college student!

If I remember correctly, when Clarkson first reviewed the Monaro he spent most the review harping on about how Australia losing the Rugby World Cup and how we're a bunch of bogans. It's what Clarkson always has and always will do, get over it.

Agreed - he wouldnt be Clarkson if he toned it down... its just what he is.

Personally im very excited for this, and hope it will be a great addition to whats shaping up to be an excellent series!

I'm most surprised that they are only given $1000 bucks. That's only 500 quid.

I can't even buy a 10 year old car with that much money.

Well, most of the cars in the other challenges have been ancient turds too. And, despite the exchange rates, your 50 quid generally buys you the same thing 50USD will. Besides, $1000 can buy you quite a bit of older car. In my lifetime:

Solid and functional Volvo 245DL for $600
Mint Datsun 210 with a Koni suspension for $800
Nissan Sentra SE-R with a perfect SR20DE and good trans/diff for $300
1995 Pontiac Bonneville SSE with no rust and driving excellently for $500

So, what are we betting that the boys will buy? We already know that Hamster buys an old pickup, but what about the others? I'm betting that James will buy something fairly cushy and genteel, but also possibly weird. Maybe a razorback Seville or something. And, I bet Jeremy buys something with a V8. Probably an old Camaro or Mustang.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.