[16x00] December 26th, 2010 [Middle East Special]

[16x00] December 26th, 2010 [Middle East Special]

• Total voters
Not the best 'special' for me (it'll take a lot to beat Botswana) but still the best of the last few years. So much entertainment, and great to see the guys pretty much being themselves. And while it obviously had to be scripted/planned because of where they were, it didn't come across as that at all compared to other trips. Even though there wasn't much focus on the cars, I'm really pleased they came to a unanimous agreement at the end!

I also appreciate the cynicism of the "Peace on Earth and good will to all men" quote over images of the fascist state of Israel's walls and checkpoints.

Yeah, that was a standout moment for me as well. I find it quite ironic how "peaceful" religions can lead to so much conflict.

I'm not just talking about religion. Here's what the people on this planet don't realise: we are all one and the same. We are all human. If we didn't divide ourselves by race and religion, by tribes and nationality, if we could see the bigger picture, the world would be a much better place. But instead, we divide ourselves and that's what causes conflicts.

Moving away from that: I don't think I've enjoyed a Top Gear episode that much for a long time. <3 it from start to finish. It's a shame, because Iraq would be such an awesome place if its recent history wasn't so tragic.

Sat and watched with the whole family and pretty much everyone was laughing out loud. Even my mother! So top job top gear.

One of the best IMO

The only reason I didn't give it a 10 (rather than the 9 that I gave) was that James genuinely was hurt and I really didn't like that. Otherwise it was one of the best specials, for cars, humour and pertinent comments, for a long time. Love the fact that there will be about 17 zillion complaints.

For me, all specials are 10/10, they are TG at its best

This one was great, i was amazed that the Barchetta was the most reliable of them all since it's a Fiat...i wonder if that was a Christmas miracle...

The Nintendo DS, "we're deep inside Jordan", "Armed", and the "splitter" as the baby Jesus, epic moments of the trip

Guys, you've done it again

I worship the Barchetta now. A Fiat will never again be called unreliable or shit if I'm around. End of story. If I see one persone chime in talking crap, they're done.

So much great moments, it's hard to name them all, so much awesomeness, it's hard to sum it up. So really all I have to say is...10 out of fucking 10. Deep 10.

Last edited:
sweett!! I totally forgot about htis as I recover from my christmas hangover :D

Realy liked that episode! I have been to Jerash once too and it seemed quite a lot of fun for them. The only bit I didn't like was that James did get hurt quite badly! For a few minutes Top Gear was a 2 man show - very sad!

"Have you ever heard of a television programme called The News?"

Best joke in the whole episode. It was quite entertaining.

Great episode.
I liked the bit when they were in the cargo plane with the door open going in for the landing. Looked fun to me.
Torturing Hammond with Genesis's "Seconds Out". Even my husband thought that was pretty damn funny.:lol: I'm pretty fond of that disc myself but I'm the same age as Clarkson.
The end was funny but I imagine they'll get some complaints. Liked the mouse on the wheel and the baby Stig.
I wonder how long it'll take the Stig to grow to maturity? <_<

Loved it. It was visually stunning, fun to watch (for most of the time with James' bump being the exception) and just a feelgood film despite all the troubles in the region.

10/10.

Great episode. I loved the journy they had, and they must have learned a great deal. Lovely part of the world. I will say this though, I traveled via Lebanon, Syria and Jordan before entering Israel over Allenby bridge. And I've still got the stamps in my passport for all said nations*. There's no problem getting into Israel with a Syrian stamp in your passport. Neither is it hard getting into Jordan with an Israeli stamp in your passport. But you just try getting into Syria or Lebanon with an Israeli stamp in your passport.

I do envy them the trip. I'd really love to see Betlehem again, it's such a lovely city.

And for good measure:

http://img17.imageshack.**/img17/1624/wallhbo.png

I've walked here! :D

I loved it. 10/10, and the first one i've given here. the scenery, the cars, the bump on the head.... all great.

and, similarly to nomix, but definitely more awesome, I've driven here:

263hdf7.jpg

the road is route 98 and goes through some pretty intense twisty stuff on the way up to the heights.

1znmwiq.jpg

It didn't work for me, don't know why as it had all the normal ingredients. Perhaps when I view it a second time it'll be better.

Can't say this was my favorite special (especially compared to Bolivia or even Vietnam), but I'll definitely give a second viewing later on to see how it holds up. I'll agree with some of the other posters that parts of it were too sensationalist/contrived, but that's kind of par for the course, I suppose. In any case, this and last week's special got me geared up for the new season.

Probably bad that the biggest laugh of the episode was James being thrown over like a doll and cracking his head open. Looks like a lovely part of the world, as usual though, just a shame the people ruin it.
I also appreciate the cynicism of the "Peace on Earth and good will to all men" quote over images of the fascist state of Israel's walls and checkpoints.

its easy to write facist when you are not afraid to go on a bus fearing it will explode.
but that wall saves lives every day. so i dont have a problem with saving lives.
as for the espisode ... it was good but it didnt show alot of the fun and interesting roads in israel .
i had fun driving on road 98 last week with my slk .... nothing can compare to that ... :)

I didn't like the Stig-ending, otherwise really solid episode.