[19x06] March 3rd, 2013 [Africa Special, Part 1]

[19x06] March 3rd, 2013 [Africa Special, Part 1]

• Total voters
I guess that was done before they set off for that long journey. Skip to 55:49 and you'll see that the toilet seat is on the left side (it was on the right side earlier) of the Beemer and there is no hole on the LF door. That skid plate was definitely not made from the Beemer's door.

As explained further up: they just mirrored the shot. So the skidplate is from the BMW. Toilet seat just changed the location because the shot was the wrong way round.

Gotta say, if they'd been able to raid the Colonies for a car, I'd have seriously considered a late-model AMC Eagle for the job...

Stupid episode.

Considering that you commented that things were getting stupid, this time last year, I do wonder if you should just give up watching. Judging from your posts, you don't seem to be enjoying the show at all. Why continue watching something that you clearly aren't enjoying?

The first ever 2 parter, you've got a hell of alot to live up to.
I was expecting may in a Merc
That traffic jam, i'd park have lunch and go later

"Tonight on Top Gear, three blokes do nothing."

correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the post-lifting 850rs AWD only ?

After this episode, people should no longer wonder why I take speed bumps and get on driveways so slow with my car :lol:

My choice would have bben a Passat 32B Synchro.
Passat pops into my mind if someone says estade.

This episode was all right, but not as good as I hoped. The jokes this time were much better, than I expected.

My choice would have bben a Passat 32B Synchro.
Passat pops into my mind if someone says estade.

Because you're German. Unfortunately, some German-ness escaped your genome, namely paying attention to details. Any Passat estate for 1500 pounds would be a complete and utter wreck.

Yes, youre right. After a quick search i only could find other Passat syncros with too many miles. Passats are quite cheap over here, as you can see here:
link

Because you're German. Unfortunately, some German-ness escaped your genome, namely paying attention to details. Any Passat estate for 1500 pounds would be a complete and utter wreck.

There were a few nice-looking Passat Estates on Autotrader.co.uk when I checked, but none with Synchro - FWD only, which would be no better than the Volvo.

The first ever 2 parter, you've got a hell of alot to live up to.
I was expecting may in a Merc
That traffic jam, i'd park have lunch and go later

"Tonight on Top Gear, three blokes do nothing."

Good point. Jeremy is in a bmw. He has previously stated that only cocks drive bmw's. Does this make Jeremy a cock?

I watched 19x06 yesterday, and I found it to be okay. I understand the enthusiasm a lot of FGers feel when one of the specials is on, and I agree that the scenery was nothing but stunning. Yet, I do not see this on one level with earlier specials. It was certainly not as ridiculous as India, it rather had a serious tone to it like earlier specials, which I like. The problem I have was that the happenings in special seemed kind of pointless to me.

Of course, you can question the point of any of the specials since none of them had a serious purpose. And still, they always managed to give it a whiff of the three blokes actually doing something and actually trying to succeed. Now, with Hammond turning up in the only decent car here and May coming with a nice, yet useless car for the expected conditions, fail was pre-programmed. I wouldn't expect James to come in a Bowler Wildcat, and he has often made questionable choices (such as the Aston Martin N24), but choosing an 850R over any "normal" Volvo Estate for a trip through Africa does not really fit Captain Slow, does it?

Also, going on a search for the source of the Nile, given that it is actually unknown, seemed to be a dodgy plan to begin with. If scientists and researchers have not found it yet there is no chance they will, even if they will it must be proven with scientific standards, and the only reason they did this anyway is having a (arguably lame) cause for driving through Africa. There must be better ways to fabricate a reason for such a special, otherwise they can as well just say they get random cars and drive around being funny. Same with the "reason" they had to sleep in their cars - the hotel was a clear set-up to get the right arguments for going where they went.

That said, I did not dislike this special as such, I had a pretty good time watching it. I had one genuine laugh when I realized that James had taken his new engine protection thingy from Jeremy's passenger door, that was great. Same thing when they took the shit out of Richard for his poor television show, you could see his laugh was genuine.

Overall, I would give this a 7/10. A mixture of very beautiful scenery and avoiding to clown around stand against the somewhat slow and pointless-seeming challenge as such.

Because you're German.

Jaguar X-Type estate then. Which I really would've expected to pop up in this special. British (sort of), comfortable and IIRC almost all models came with 4WD as standard.

But like I said before: Having at least one car/vehicle in the group that's utterly useless for the challenge at hand is how these specials work. Think Lancia Beta, AM N24, Vespa, BMW Z3 automatic, Ford Capri ... Same here, only this time they have two useless cars instead of just one.

S.

Jaguar X-Type estate then. Which I really would've expected to pop up in this special. British (sort of), comfortable and IIRC almost all models came with 4WD as standard.

But like I said before: Having at least one car/vehicle in the group that's utterly useless for the challenge at hand is how these specials work. Think Lancia Beta, AM N24, Vespa, BMW Z3 automatic, Ford Capri ... Same here, only this time they have two useless cars instead of just one.

S.

The problem with the X-Type is the same problem with the Passat Synchro Estate. Namely, there are none to be found at the ?1500 price. The cheapest X-Type estate I found on Autotrader was an 04 reg 2.5V V6 petrol with automatic for ?2950 - that's almost exactly twice their budget.

I did find a few Subarus, though, for under 1500 quid. Including a 1997 Forester automatic with a 5.9L engine! That thing must be a beast - I can only assume that somebody removed the 5.9L V8 from a Dodge pickup and put it in a Subaru for some reason.

(It could also be, you know, a typo - but where's the fun in that?)