2014 Japanse GP

Mpicco, you know the repercussions and logistical nightmare of moving the race, the backlash from the fans if canceled, and not to mention the crash occurred on intermediates.

There's no need to act holier than thou, "I knew better than them". This was in every sense, a freak accident. If anything we should be discussing the safety of those cranes. Many of you have mentioned that the cranes' clearance are perfectly head height, before; maybe some kind of safety foam on them?

The most obvious step to review is the timing of the crane intervention : why was it release before all the traffic had joined up behind the safety car.

God it's just...in this day and age we're still making so many mistakes in safety.

Last edited:
The most obvious step to review is the timing of the crane intervention : why was it release before all the traffic had joined up behind the safety car.

The safety car was only called out when Bianchi hit the crane

My point remains, a crane or any vehicle shouldn't be allowed on track unless the cars are behind the safety car.

If the car slid right under the crane then maybe they should put those crash bars on them which are mandated for trucks on the highway.

If the car slid right under the crane then maybe they should put those crash bars on them which are mandated for trucks on the highway.

Yes, or like those funny fences that you see on military vehicles except extended towards the ground.

I do think that the if a crane is needed, if it's wet, the sc should come out.
I doubt there is need for it when it's dry.

The whole safety car system is shit though. It's totally unsporting to blow someones lead away arbitrarily. It's 2014 not 1974 ffs. Just have race control push a button which sends a signal to the cars and limits their ECUs to x MPH simultaneously. Push the button again once the obstruction is clear. Nobody loses the gap they've built. Race control don't have to hesitate to use The Button because it's not going to ruin the sport like the safety car does.

Get out of the fucking dark ages, this is meant to be a high-tech sport.

I do think that the if a crane is needed, if it's wet, the sc should come out.
I doubt there is need for it when it's dry.

what was also in their mind i think, was that they were only 10 laps from the end
and if they brought out the SC everyone except for the top 10 had to unlap themselves, which would've taken ages in the wet
if they brought out the SC at that point, the race would've ended behind it..

Mandating a limiter on every car would add to the cost of the cars and probably wouldn't be as reliable or as visually (At least) interesting as a safety car, Safety car shakes up the race, it adds to the strategy.
In this situation it's not the race that needs to be looked at it's the cars design and the Tractor, I can't imagine anyone thought "What if one of these cars hits a tractor" a "button" isn't going to stop aquaplaning.

Mandating a limiter on every car would add to the cost of the cars
They all already have limiters. And they all use the same ECU. And the cars already receive yellow flag signals from race control for the lights on the wheel, so the transmission tech is already in place.
It would cost peanuts.

and probably wouldn't be as reliable or as visually (At least) interesting as a safety car, Safety car shakes up the race, it adds to the strategy.

The safety car is there for Mercedes' marketing purposes. That kind of pales in my mind in comparison to the importance sporting fairness and safety.

The issue is, race control are hesitant to use the safety car because it flushes the sporting fairness down the shitter. Look at Germany, that was a far more dangerous situation than anything at Suzuka. If it didn't fuck drivers over for no reason, they wouldn't have to hesitate to use it as they do now.

We don't have to balance fairness and safety, we can have both.

The whole safety car system is shit though. It's totally unsporting to blow someones lead away arbitrarily. It's 2014 not 1974 ffs. Just have race control push a button which sends a signal to the cars and limits their ECUs to x MPH simultaneously. Push the button again once the obstruction is clear. Nobody loses the gap they've built. Race control don't have to hesitate to use The Button because it's not going to ruin the sport like the safety car does.

Get out of the fucking dark ages, this is meant to be a high-tech sport.

It's not just about limiting speed, it's also about grouping everybody together so that track workers have a clear and safe track to do their intervention.

The safety car is there for Mercedes' marketing purposes. That kind of pales in my mind in comparison to the importance sporting fairness and safety.

The issue is, race control are hesitant to use the safety car because it flushes the sporting fairness down the shitter. Look at Germany, that was a far more dangerous situation than anything at Suzuka. If it didn't fuck drivers over for no reason, they wouldn't have to hesitate to use it as they do now.

We don't have to balance fairness and safety, we can have both.

The safety car isn't there for Mercedes marketing the Safety car is a Mercedes as a part of a sponsorship deal, what a ridiculous thing to say.
As for fairness, the safety car is about as fair as it gets, it's not governed by politics it's governed by safety at Germany they were going to have to pit eventually for dry tires the safety car just gave them an excuse to pit, Rosberg was caught out because the crash just happened to take place at a time which was inconvenient to him it was perfectly fair.

The safety car isn't there for Mercedes marketing the Safety car is a Mercedes as a part of a sponsorship deal, what a ridiculous thing to say.
As for fairness, the safety car is about as fair as it gets, it's not governed by politics it's governed by safety at Germany they were going to have to pit eventually for dry tires the safety car just gave them an excuse to pit, Rosberg was caught out because the crash just happened to take place at a time which was inconvenient to him it was perfectly fair.

...I think you should go back and re-watch the German GP, because there wasn't a safety car, leaving cars going past marshals on the track at near racing speed.

The only reason Charlie would have not deployed it there was that he wanted to avoid interfering in the sporting side of the race. But he risked marshals' lives doing so.
If they can slow the cars without ruining someone's lead, they could do it without hesitation when there was anything close to a marginal call. More fairness, more safety.

...I think you should go back and re-watch the German GP, because there wasn't a safety car, leaving cars going past marshals on the track at near racing speed.

The only reason Charlie would have not deployed it there was that he wanted to avoid interfering in the sporting side of the race. But he risked marshals' lives doing so.
If they can slow the cars without ruining someone's lead, they could do it without hesitation when there was anything close to a marginal call. More fairness, more safety.

the greatest thing about the safety car, is that it mixes the field up!
everyone has as much chance of being caught out by it, so it's perfectly fair!

the greatest thing about the safety car, is that it mixes the field up!
everyone has as much chance of being caught out by it, so it's perfectly fair!

By that logic, deciding the result by pulling names out of a hat would be the fairest way of all.

And no, everyone doesn't have the same chance of being caught out by it. Good drivers are more likely to be caught out by it because they're more likely to have earned themselves a lead.

Imagine if in football, whenever a player had to be stretchered off the field, they put the score back to 0-0.

Last edited:
Yeah the rear of those tractors are definately too high, if there were some sort of crash bar on the back of it Bianci would be doing much better right now.