ACK! Thats what you get for 'upgrading' OS - controller won't work

klankymen

BLT Master
Car(s)
plastic Japanese iPod dock on wheels
Well, this is partially a rant thread, partially a plea for help...

I have a wired xbox360 controller that I use (or rather used to use) to play computer games. It's a great controller, and I used it very successfully in the past.

This year my computer was going crazy, so I had to format it, and I figured I'd go with a clean XP+SP3 install disk, why not.

Also I have a Macbook, with windows on it, and guess what? Service Pack 3.

Now it's vacation time, so I wanna bust out some games again... I try downloading the driver and click the installer and get the message "must have a computer with XP SP1 or XP SP2 on it"

What the hell? How can something run on SP2 but not on SP3???
Is there any way to trick the installer into thinking it's SP2? Or can there be any good reason for this rule?

Also, I found a driver for the controller for OSX, which installs fine, but can't seem to detect my controller being attached, despite the X-Light lighting up on it....

Hoping anyone has any ideas... thanks

Wasn't even gonna post this because I am so doubtful, but did you try the compatibility mode or uninstalling SP3?

I did try around with compatibility mode, but I couldn't find anything that will make it SP2 or SP1 compatible. Only older versions of windows (but those don't work either, it has to be SP1 or SP2).

As for uninstalling SP3... I didn't realize that was possible. I downloaded a CD that had SP3 included in the windows installer, so I put it all on at once.

I could get out my old SP2 CD, but I really don't feel like formatting right now....

I got SP3 and the setup for the wireless one works no problem.

Also, there is an alternative driver for the wired gamepad... But I just checked and you need the origianl drivers, too... :-(