Assuming there's going to be a Series 3 ...

Another from Steve Pizzati's Twitter:

Steve Pizzati said:
For all those asking: I can honestly say I don't know if there'll be another series.

I hope there is. It was definitely improving.

I didn't quite know where to put my idea but this seems like a good place so here goes:

I liked the bit with the GTHO Phase III and while I was watching it I thought it would be a good idea to compare it to a Mercedes-Benz W109 300SEL 6.3.

They could time a lap around the track, do some 0-100 times, test the braking etc. See which is really the fastest saloon in the world!

I think that would be pretty epic.

TGA definitely was better.

Hope they improve the on track filming, especially the sound editing. The Stig's Power Laps and SIABSC mostly have the effects mic'c turned down so low you lose alot of the sense of speed and drama the laps provide.

I like the show overall. The reviews are really improving and everything flows much better than before. I don't really mind SIABSC because I don't know of any of the guests anyway. They could try to fit in some 3-way comparisons and more up-to-date reviews in general. The biggest issue is that they tend to be a little forgiving about the cars they review. The thing that made old Top Gear such a success was the fact that everyone didn't mind calling a car a complete failure.

The two tweets that raised my eyebrows were:

"Without Oran Park, we're stuffed! I love the place...reckon it's the best layout after Bathurst and Phillip Island actually" (in response to "After Oran Park closes whats your next option?...")

and

"Agreed. But sometimes the best laid plans of mice and men..." (in response to "I do hope you do an Series03...")

Man those both sound really negative.

"Without Oran Park, we're stuffed! I love the place...reckon it's the best layout after Bathurst and Phillip Island actually" (in response to "After Oran Park closes whats your next option?...")

The Oran Park thing struck me a month or so back:

What really did strike me this episode (& it has been a big star this season) is what a great track Oran Park is to shoot. It's a ripper amphitheatre, allowing long & close shots, & has great speed, wide corners, tight corners, ups, downs, even a cross-over tyre sponsored bridge. It's going to be a massive shame when it's gone. There are elements of Donnington Park to it (the wiggly, undulating back section) - Eastern Creek just doesn't look any where near as good.

Just when they've got most of the elements right, one of the best will be gone. :(

The problem is that the ABC is on such a tight budget that they need to avoid scrutiny whenever possible, as scrutiny = funding question marks. ............I think if TGA was on the ABC, it would be even worse. More viewers = more complaints = more politicians commenting = senate estimates questioning = budget question marks = TGA getting the axe.

I have to agree with this. The ABC is neither awash with cash nor independent enough anymore to offend people merrily. I hope SBS can make the sums work out for them... I remember reading an article back during the first series that mentioned the advertising slot revenue during the show doesn't really cover the cost of producing the episode itself.. I guess we'll find out soon enough if they managed to balance the books on that one.

Definitely +1 on more ad lib, old cars, decent stars, and road trips. I also really enjoy the TGUK cheap car challenges and would like to see the TGA guys do an Aussie take on the concept.

When I get home and pop my tinfoil hat on, I'll compare the wrap-ups between 1x08 and 2x08 to see how different the delivery is. I know that the end of 2x08 did feel open ended, but almost in a token way.

Did you end up rewatching them?
I was going to do the same, see if they reminisced in the same way, but i couldn't find my copy of 1x08.

Guess we can only wait and see what happens.

There is something I would like to see in series 3 - a race. Or two races actually.
What would you think of "HSV W427 versus a surfer on the Great Ocean Road".
And what would you think of "race across Australia against the Ghan or the Indian Pacific".

Indeed that last race would be a hit with the viewers, even though the train would probably win. They could play around with this challenge: A: Steve, James and Warren buy a fuel-efficient car and race it against one of the big trains in the same fashion as TGUK's polar special. (they could all take turns) B: Steve buys a fuel-efficient car (he seems to like the Audi RS6), Warren buys a fuel-efficient car and James buys a fuel-efficient car; and each presenter hires and uses a racing team to race their cars against the Ghan or the Indian Pacific, whichever one is more suitable. I don't know trains well enough to say. A race from Darwin to Adelaide would be enjoyable.

There is something else. Nicole Kidman should go on SIABSC...if you don't mind.

^ Indian Pacific vs car would be well worth doing. I've done the trip in both (Melbourne to Perth and back). The train might be marginally quicker (on average), but is far more boring. Also, taking the car on the train is just as disturbing as driving .. in fact, I was more concerned about stone damage (to the car) on the train than I was when driving it on the highway.

As for Nicole Kidman .. meh ... I'd rather see Roy Slaven in a Nissan Cedric, Greg Norman in a Caprice and Ricky Ponting in a car lubed with Valvoline (perhaps with John Laws telling him when to brake and change gear).

I suggested an Indian-Pacific vs Car race to SBS a couple of years ago when they were trying to get the UK boys out here and were looking for ideas. They held a competition asking for possible challenges. The Indian-Pacific idea won me a NavMan. :D