Critique of modern car design

^ I don't like their CD changers. They look so cluttered. Why not just have one slot like every other car in the world does?

pssst...they're French

^ I don't like their CD changers. They look so cluttered. Why not just have one slot like every other car in the world does?

One slot is for the CD, the rest is for storing Jambons

Thread summary:
There are improvements in some designs, and step backwards in other designs.

[/thread]

Move on, nothing to see here...

On the topic of ugly cars, and this^^^^ Does anyone really like this style?? I mean its one thing to design a car to meet current saftey standards but do they have to make it look like a retarded smiling child with squinting eyes? I hate that big gaping mouth that makes it look like a catfish. I've seen it on other cars but Peugeot seems to be taking it to the extreme, they do it on nearly all their cars and continue to! It astounds me.

SNIPPP

That's cuz Pug is a retarded child of the car industry :) (Don't want to offend anyone but I really dislike them for some reason)

I too like the 407. It's the prettiest one of all the Peugeots nowadays, especially the Coupe model is nice.

I see what you mean though, but that's just Peugeot giving every car they design the same "face"

There's tons of 307s, and, more recently, a few 308s around here (in my locality), and I always think as I'm cruising along in the 306 how much better I think it looks than those. They might be bigger, faster, more efficient and don't sound like a dying vacuum cleaner, but the slanty-eyed gaping-mouth with the weird rubber-bumper-through-the-centre look just doesn't do it for me.

My mother who bought our family chariot in the first place thinks the more recent Pugs are so hideous she didn't trade in ours for a 307 / 308 like most 306 owners around here did / are doing. She'd rather have a Mazda 2. I agree with her. I want a 2...badly..gah!

I have to say 306>307>308

But then again Mazda2>306

An obvious one here:

e38_7series_side.jpg

or
07.bmw.7h.340.jpg
Every time I see that comparison I die a little inside :cry:. Fucking Chris Bangle and pedestrian safety laws.

To summarize my personal critique of modern car design, I think that automotive design peaked around 1970. Maybe even thirty years before that. :?

Audi's are a good example IMO of cars that are going in the right direction :

my grandad had an Audi 80, which looked and drove like a granddad's car :
Audi_Typ89.jpg

Then we had the A4, which was already a lot nicer to look at :
Audi-A4-B5-1.jpg

The A4 also got progressively nicer to look at as it got facelifted over and over again : the previous model looked cool :
05-07_Audi_A4.jpg

And the last one is even better with the LED headlamps coolness :
2009_Audi_A4_sedan_NY.jpg

I don't like the new Audio grill, besides that the new ones are snazy.

As for the bannings, they are the result of the new one strike troll policy; as well as the old trolls attempts at returning (see Flynn and MoparMan).

I don't like the new Audio grill, besides that the new ones are snazy.

As for the bannings, they are the result of the new one strike troll policy; as well as the old trolls attempts at returning (see Flynn and MoparMan).

Uh... how did Flynn try to return? I saw Mopar Man's attempt.

He created another account with the name "Flynn!".

The admins here are that good.

That is actually quite a good looking car.....

my grandad had an Audi 80, which looked and drove like a granddad's car :
Audi_Typ89.jpg

Then we had the A4, which was already a lot nicer to look at :
Audi-A4-B5-1.jpg

The A4 also got progressively nicer to look at as it got facelifted over and over again : the previous model looked cool :
05-07_Audi_A4.jpg

I may accept that their desings are gradually improving, but many companies make facelifts more radical than that FFS. And Audi call that 4 different generations. I mean this thread is full of examples of radical design changes ending up in a catastrophe *cough* BMW *cough* Peugeot, but this is just another extreme.

Audi has done nothing else. than reviving the old grill design of Audi's predecessor Auto Union from the 1930's.

BMW is a different case, though. What we witness here for the last decade, is an attempt to change the company's image from "cars for speeding cads" to a more serious image in order to attract new customer groups.

BMW wants to become more exclusive and more serious. They calculated that they will lose many of the old BMW fans but they also seemd to be successful in getting new ones. The change roots deep in BMW and goes as far as changing the company credit cards from VISA/MasterCard to American Express as a business partner.

The attempt seems to work because in recent years BMW cars lost some of their "coolness" factor for young drivers and that is what the BMW bosses obviously wanted.

I Hate BMW drivers in general - but I'd consider their cars if one was a. suitable for my needs, and b. I could afford one - strange or what?