GTR at El Toro

Scenery is much nicer than Dunsfold. :p

Great video and looks to be an excellent place for Gear. There sure is a lot more runway.

Dunno how length wise they compare though.

El Toro has 10,000 foot runways, so just under 2 miles, I think dunsfold's longest is 1.6 miles.

514hp, lolz GTR is such a goofy car <3

Thanks for sharing the clip so we could get a preview of the facility.

A bit OT - That clip reminds me why I am a fan of TG. Motor Trend somehow made the video testing of a 'supercar' about the most boring thing I've seen in a week. I nearly fell asleep. I can watch TG do a segment on the VW Lupo and be entertained enough to want to see it again. MT...not so much. :(

I thought it was actually really well made and interesting.

Sure they didnt race it against a tamed giraffe or something, but they did something that TG rarely manages in recent times: They reviewed the car.

And for the love of god, stop calling it a supercar. (Although unlike most people i dont consider a 997T a supercar either, just a really bad-ass sports car :) )

I dunno, if it can keep up with a supercar, maybe it's a supercar?
My favorite is still the little Ariel Atom...

My >$2000 camaro is faster (in a straight line at least) then a ferrari 355/360, so you're calling it a supercar? :lol:

Last edited:
I thought it was actually really well made and interesting.

Sure they didnt race it against a tamed giraffe or something, but they did something that TG rarely manages in recent times: They reviewed the car.

And for the love of god, stop calling it a supercar. (Although unlike most people i dont consider a 997T a supercar either, just a really bad-ass sports car :) )

Agree w/you on the supercar part. That's why I put it in quotes above.

Disagree on the video, though. It was all fact and no fun. I know the GTR is going to be fast. I don't need a review to know that. Top Gear always has an entertaining way to put that performance into perspective - like racing it against a tamed giraffe. :p

well, that's like criticizing a drama for not being funny. most american automotive shows and magazines focus primarily on the technical aspects of automotives. top gear uk's perogative seems to mostly be about entertainment. they obviously don't worry too much about actually checking their "facts", and are really only concerned with shock value and laughs.

as for putting "performance into perspective", how useful is it really to know if an exige can avoid being locked on by an apache's weapons system? sure, it's fun to watch, but is that really going to help you decide on a purchase if you are in the market? i hope not.

when i want to know the proper torque rating for a specifc bolt on a specific part, i read rod & customs or watch "the power block" on spike tv. when i want to see a cow carcass strapped to the top of a 3rd gen camaro, i watch top gear. simple as that. nothing wrong with either approach.

Last edited:
that's a pretty good way of summing it up, but i would say top gear is more like the daily show or the colbert report, and motor trend et al. are like 60 minutes.

My >$2000 camaro is faster (in a straight line at least) then a ferrari 355/360, so you're calling it a supercar? :lol:

my definition of a supercar is any car that will get you laid, over and over and over...
with many different women from around the world...

(or have goofy teenagers chasing after you in their civics and TSXs, trying to take
pictures of your car with their cell phone cameras)

I don't think the GTR fits that description... although it is one amazing car! :)

that's a pretty good way of summing it up, but i would say top gear is more like the daily show or the colbert report, and motor trend et al. are like 60 minutes.

Top gear isnt smart enough to be those shows, its pure mindless fun, those shows have satire and subtlety, top gear blows things up and shouts.

Its jerry springer.

my definition of a supercar is any car that will get you laid, over and over and over...

(or have goofy teenagers chasing after you in their civics and TSXs, trying to take

I don't think the GTR fits that description... although it is one amazing car! :)

Goofy teenagers WILL follow you around in thier civics and RSXs, trying to take a pics of one and then trying to race you.

It also a shiny, fast machine, with leather seats and costs 70k (I don't know how much its supposed to cost, so I estimated) That alone will get you laid easily.

-Robert

Thanks for sharing the clip so we could get a preview of the facility.

A bit OT - That clip reminds me why I am a fan of TG. Motor Trend somehow made the video testing of a 'supercar' about the most boring thing I've seen in a week. I nearly fell asleep. I can watch TG do a segment on the VW Lupo and be entertained enough to want to see it again. MT...not so much. :(

Absolutely! MT might as well have been reviewing a washing machine or a space heater, the review wouldn't have been much different. These guys get jaded and don't convey any of the excitement of driving the car to the reader/viewer.

Are you kidding me? Gen-Y'ers think the Skyline/GT-R is the bestest car evar!!!1! Playstation told them so. We're talking about the Evo/WRX generation.