Hammond In Car Crash - (Now Moved from Leeds 28/09)

In that sun article, Clarkson says Hamster didn't break a bone.. A testament to the strength and design of the Vampire car. I'm just praying he can come back from the neurological damage.

Praying hard here for the little fella.

I was away from home for a few months and just got back and the first thing i did was log on here. I just found out what happend to our Hamster and i must say i was devastated... On the other hand i am pretty sure Richard is going to make a full recovery and one day he is going to be looking back at this and laugh...

So here's to Richards speedy recovery :cheers:

It was really nice reading the Telegraph article having it talk about the people and not placing blame on everyone. I also "had a bit of an unmanly moment" as I read through it. I always knew Richard, James, and Jeremy were friends, but I never realized they were this close.

This signficant brain injury has got me worried. Hopefully it hasn't affected his personality --> it's what makes him the presenter that we've all come to know and love.

And yeah....Steve Irwin, Peter Brock and then this.......sigh :cry:

KaJuN said:
I always knew Richard, James, and Jeremy were friends, but I never realized they were this close.

They'd have killed each other by now otherwise.

Tiff Needell defends Richard and the Top gear crew:

'Richard was right to race'

By TIFF NEEDELL
September 21, 2006

IT'S ridiculous to try to stop these things happening. They are all planned, they are voluntary by the presenters.

When I did things like that, we went into it all properly, there were researchers and it was all done on a proper track.

You are entering into a dangerous area, but 50 per cent of the world are thrill seekers. When you are three or four years old one brother will want to jump off the climbing frame a step higher than the other.

As we grow up, some of us become thrill seekers and others will become quiet, normal people.

But I think the thrill seekers want to go out and do whatever challenge makes their life more exciting and it's ridiculous to try to put a stop to it - they're not actually harming anyone else in what they are trying to do.

You sometimes think it is a fairly selfish thing to do - to go out and risk your life - when you have responsibilities, like a wife and family, but then again, we are a bit selfish. I think that's the only moral issue - whether you do something knowingly dangerous when you have a wife and kids.

As regards stopping people doing this... You're going to stop me? For whose sake? For my sake, probably. But it's my choice.

I'm doing what I want to do as an individual, which doesn't harm anyone else.

I always feel like I'm going on board a car that the viewers will never get a chance to drive. And I'm merely giving them the feeling of what it's like to do these things. I think that's great television.

Richard would have built up to those speeds and I'm sure at every step they would have said, "are you happy to keep going". He wouldn't have just gone nought to 300 on his first run.

Obviously Richard's driven lots of fast cars, he's probably driven 170, 180mph in a supercar down a runway before, so he's been in the higher echelons of speed.

And driving a jet car isn't a very complicated thing to do. You just need to be very cool headed, and alert, should things go wrong.

They've been drag racing these things for 20 or 30 years, and you get two of them, up a drag strip, side-by-side up to 300mph and safely stop. There have been thousands of jet car runs, It's not as if he was getting into an experimental vehicle.

Is the Tour De France a bad example to cyclists? Is throwing a javelin encouraging people to start chucking spears? Is sprinting encouraging people to run down pavements? Where do you end?

Yes, we glamorise racing on racing tracks, but we're not ever suggesting you do that in a different environment. When people put that together, there's no real logic, it sounds a logical argument, but when you actually analyse it you can say that about any form of sport.

If we're encouraging people to become racing drivers, by glamorising racing drivers, or drag racers by glamorising that, then it's good.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006440051,00.html[/url]

Breaking News: Sky News says he's been moved out of the Intensive Care unit and into High Dependency.

Source: Friend of mine cause duh, I live in Canada and I don't get Sky. Hopefully someone can back me up.

Just noticed this in the Daily Telegraph article:

May dismissed stories that he stepped down at the last moment to allow Hammond to drive the jet-powered dragster.

"Someone's got hold of a shooting schedule, which was written weeks ago and at that time, I was pencilled in for driving the jet car and Richard was driving a Bugatti Veyron.

So they did get the Veyron - probably on the track - for the new season - I thought I'd be happy about that but now it's somehow tragic... :?

I read on a Dutch news site that the doctors said he was lucky to be alive but probablly will make a full recovery.

The source it says is the BBC but no direct link. Can anybody confirm they said that?

From that article:

"Top Gear has courted controversy in the past over its big-budget car stunts, and in 1999 a group of MPs criticised the series for being "obsessed with acceleration and speed". "

Why the fuck would the BBC write shit like that about their own program. Are they trying to make it look like a evil thing that needs to be banned or what? I'm so tired of this shit.... :x

Well, all we know is that Hammond isn't the Stig, because I heard the Stig on the radio (BBC Radio 4, I think)..

Byte said:
From that article:

"Top Gear has courted controversy in the past over its big-budget car stunts, and in 1999 a group of MPs criticised the series for being "obsessed with acceleration and speed". "

Why the fuck would the BBC write shit like that about their own program. Are they trying to make it look like a evil thing that needs to be banned or what? I'm so tired of this shit.... :x

What the frig are you talking about?

Yeah, Quentin, (The voice of sense).

That's the best response I've heard/seen so far.