Hyundai, Kia and Genesis EVs recalled for damaged charging control unit

jack_christie

Forum Addict
The Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU) "may become damaged over time from transient high voltage and thermal cycling" and stop charging the 12-volt battery, which can result in a loss of drive power increasing the risk of a crash, the safety regulator said.

Don't we have someone here with real issues keeping their 12V battery charged?

Also, can I just say, that the charging control unit being unable to deal with the high voltages involved in, for example, charging seems like a bit of a failure in planning.

Also, can I just say, that the charging control unit being unable to deal with the high voltages involved in, for example, charging seems like a bit of a failure in planning.
Anecdotally, it seems like a fair number of stories I've read about issues with some electrical systems (in all sorts of industries) seem to come down to an underestimation of the stresses and long-term effects of thermal cycling. Cycle after cylce after cycle, day in and day out.

Anecdotally, it seems like a fair number of stories I've read about issues with some electrical systems (in all sorts of industries) seem to come down to an underestimation of the stresses and long-term effects of thermal cycling. Cycle after cylce after cycle, day in and day out.

On top of that, the automotive environment is not friendly to electronics and the stresses involved.

Yup that was me.
from what I hear the ICCU issue which is apparently common in many EV6es, also drains the 12v battery.
Fortunately, my ICCU was OK.
Coworker of mine had this problem though, he noticed it because every AC charger he used broke instantly, apparently there was DC current going back to the AC chargers, which obviously tripped all of the safeties. He had to wait for like 3 months because there weren't any ICCUs to replace.
All fine now though

Example 2 : his girlfriend drives an Ioniq5, same 12v issue as mine, got it swapped, no problem since
Example 3 : my boss also drives an Ioniq5, has had 12v issues since the car was new, and is so tired of calling road side assistance to "boost" it, he has some sort of big battery booster unit in the car at all times.

So yeah, kind of a big deal if you buy an EV6/Ioniq5/whatever that Genesis is called. Dunno if 12v or ICCU is the issue but they sure are connected.

If you get any of these messages, you're basically screwed

1711122826818.png

Last edited: