Looking for a used pickup as a daily-driver

OK guys, I'd like to thank you all for the plentiful advice you've given me about compact trucks. Unfortunately for my wallet, however, a chat with my mother and sister has put full-size pickups onto the table. As soon as I mentioned buying a truck, they brought up the idea of renting a 20-foot travel trailer and driving around PA. I'm still not sure about what I'd need/like yet (I did a quick check on 20-28 foot trailers, and the ones I saw had a GVWR of 5000-6500 pounds), but tentative requirements are an extended cab and a towing capacity of 7000+ pounds. I have also upped my budget to $8k, accordingly.

I was trying to find a good, non beat up version close to where he was moving to.

Which is something that I really appreciate. I'll be looking for an apartment at the same time I'm scoping out trucks, so I simply will not have the means or the time to check out vehicles far away from Bethlehem.

Dodge is not really a company to look for when looking for a compact truck, even though the Dakota was available with the 360. For a full-size truck, however, Dodge is an okay place to look, as are Ford and Chevy. A Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra are also good trucks, in some ways they're even better built. Overall though, the Japanese trucks tend to be less durable when it comes to being slammed around.

OK guys, I'd like to thank you all for the plentiful advice you've given me about compact trucks. Unfortunately for my wallet, however, a chat with my mother and sister has put full-size pickups onto the table. As soon as I mentioned buying a truck, they brought up the idea of renting a 20-foot travel trailer and driving around PA. I'm still not sure about what I'd need/like yet (I did a quick check on 20-28 foot trailers, and the ones I saw had a GVWR of 5000-6500 pounds), but tentative requirements are an extended cab and a towing capacity of 7000+ pounds. I have also upped my budget to $8k, accordingly.

For that sort of towing, you're looking at a 2500/3500 sereis truck to get proper braking and suspension. A half ton just won't suffice in that price range.

I bought this 3500 sereis dually w turbodiesel for $2600 late last year to tow my 28 foot travel trailer.

camp5.jpg

A 2500 series would work just as well, but do NOT get a gas engine truck for heavy duty towing. $8k shoudo get you a decent '99-01 Ford F250 with the 7.3 turbo diesel a GREAT truck and one you could get lots of miles out of. You could get a similar year Dodge with teh Cummins, as well, but they tend to be like gold, even in rough condition. GM is in last place in this price range, but they can be had cheaper than the rest, and they arent' bad places to be for long distance driving (I've towed that trailer down to Southern Carolina and back with that truck, and am going to be doing that again this weekend). I got this one because in my $4k price range, the Fords and Dodges were simply not available (the ones that are listed for low prices tend to be scams...)

Fullsize trucks are not really my area, so I will bow out and let members from Texas take over.

Go biodiesel! Spectre was looking into going that route, he has a thread somewhere here I think.

Biodiesel, depending on the blend, can have problems with congealing and turning waxy in cold weather; you'd need either a dual-tank system or a fuel warmer, and it sounds like complexity of that level is the last thing the OP wants in a somewhat cheap pickup truck.

As a alternate option, I'd suggest a early-mid 90s Ford F-250 (or 350 if it exists) with the 300ci I6. It wont be fast when towing, but will tow a trailer with ease. They are also cheap, plentiful, very simple and reliable and can be lightly modified for some more cheap torque.

I'd say that unless you're constantly pulling that trailer, work construction, or are a farmer (like 90% of North Dakotans), a 3/4 ton (250/2500) and larger truck is not the greatest as a daily driver. Unless you really like showing it off. If you're going to use it as a daily driver, 1/2 ton is generally more than enough. But that's your determination to make as to what you want. I wouldn't want to be pulling a travel trailer of any size without a diesel in a 3/4 ton minimum truck.

I've only really tooled around in F-250s (had a pair that I used to reposses trailers when I worked in NoDak), so I can only talk about them. I like Ford trucks in general and the F-250 I had was darn good. Now, I will add though, it feels like driving a bus, especially if you get the 4WD versions. I probably drove like a pansy when I did, but my daily driver was a Volvo and then a Honda Civic.

Also, DO NOT EVER BUY a truck that has been used as a plow truck. The reason they're selling it is because they've used up the chassis and frame pushing snow around. Its also a good idea to avoid trucks that have a lot of towing miles for similar reasons.