Ownership Verified: MadCat360's Mazda RX-8

Noooooooo... my car wash did that!

On the plus side, my car now sounds like a boxer motor at 70 MPH due to the flat spots... started a regimen of burnouts to fix.

So, MadCat went and did this. :p

[video=youtube;WTqB-gwlRdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTqB-gwlRdM&hd=1[/video]

One corner later, and that could have been very bad...

Eeeeeek.

Yeah, I really discourage anyone from putting that stuff on my car. Hate it.

- - - Updated - - -

a) Water pumps are evil. EVIL! As is water cooling in general. BAD EVIL STINKY IDEA FULL OF POOP! (Yeah, I just replaced the 944's. Ugh.)
b) What kind of tires did you flat spot? I have Z2s that didn't like being shoved sideways in my wreck. :(

Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Right front outside is a bit chunked from the full lock countersteer + lockup, and the spots themselves are fairly vulcanized on the surface, but the burnouts are helping.

One corner later, and that could have been very bad...

I was right-seating a 996 Turbo later that day and an E36 M3 ate it hard in the same spot right in front of us.

I recognise that track. It's a Forza 4 track! :p

Isn't it that one that I raced one time with those tools from the internet? Nah can't be.

Last edited:
Ooh the 6-port sounds so smooth compared to mine.

How does tyre dressing cause this? Tyre dressing from the tyre walls can't affect the grip-part, can it?

whole tyre needs a good polish and shine!

Ooh the 6-port sounds so smooth compared to mine.

How does tyre dressing cause this? Tyre dressing from the tyre walls can't affect the grip-part, can it?

It gets sucked under the contact patch in high load high deflection. It felt fine going in, at the apex, but at soon as the thing hit the bottom of the bowl it must have caused the side wall to fold over a bit more and deposit it's oil.

Something oily was on the rear tires because it made no noise as it went around. It only made noise when I got hard on the brake when I realized I wasn't going to save it. Normally the tires scream at me at anything past 5 or 6 degrees of slip. I checked with the corner workers and there was no report of oil on the track. It must have been me.

When I checked the tires afterward, the side wall area that was adjacent to the flat spots were devoid of the tire shine. The tires must have had some pretty extreme flex going on while the brakes were locked.

To be honest it never occurred to me that it was the cause. For the 15 minutes or so after I was checking all the mechanics for breakage. I was sure my suspension was hurt somehow. I didn't consider the tire dressing until a couple friends mentioned they had similarly ball clenching experiences with it.

Last edited:
EVERY TIME I apply that I think about the influence in grip. :lol:
Guess now I have my answer!

Opinions on these wheels?

Motegi MR121
motegir_mr121_b_ci3_l.jpg

motegi-bmp.jpg

Maybe other suggestions for black wheels in size 18x8 and under 22 pounds? Not really crazy about chrome accents but open to all.

I looked at some bronze wheels but I don't have any ideas other than that. The red interior kinda makes it hard to keep the car coordinated. Maybe a gunmetal wheel? Not too many of those though.

I think the black wheels would look better with a full Wilwood brake system with red calipers, don't you?

Yeah, that idea increased the want-factor by a surprising amount. :drool: The black wheels by themselves look very nice, but they tend to get lost in the shape without that little something for contrast. Red calipers would be totally appropriate!

I thought I'd paint the factory 18" rims (the 5-spokes) a very dark bronze to accent the dark green colour of the car. The default silver is a bit too 2000s for my taste.

I looked at some bronze wheels but I don't have any ideas other than that. The red interior kinda makes it hard to keep the car coordinated. Maybe a gunmetal wheel? Not too many of those though.

I think the black wheels would look better with a full Wilwood brake system with red calipers, don't you?

I wouldn't get wilwood calipers for a road car, not all that impressed with the quality of the ones I have. Also a lot of them don't have dust/debris protection and the pistons tend to get stuck. Also most of their designs incorporate a pad that is not "tall" enough.

If you've got the money...

4636090916_37dcda640c_b.jpg

Then steal them. :)