Major errors in XP, not startmenu, cannot system restore, no internet explorer

NAIDANAC A

Car(s)
300E
jHXJZxZXHZcXcJZx

this ismy 5th time typing this because of a stupid erase shortcut on the bloody ps3. sorry fo terrible typig but this is not ideal

xp rebooted itselft after an update and sincethen i lost internet...the start menu and the abilitly to ue system restore

the menu i have now is from right clicking and going to toolbars.desktop. so i have access to all the files in the computer this way

when i open ie it instantly closes...firefox just cannot find a conecton

when i try system restore it tells me "system restore cannot help your computer. restart your coputer and rerun system restore"

i think i have a virus or something...am running avg now...but does anyone have any ideas? i am going to pick up my new ram tomarrow so i can actually build my new pc tomarrow and reformat this drive the current 1 boots on.

i sorry for double posting but this is rrelly crappy on a ps3 on a 50inch screen.

i have movies and fileson the harddrive that i dot want to loseby reformatting. i have no access t the internet on it so i cant download anything that way.

any advice please?

avg is running now so i'll post what it says "if anything"

right now it says file: host result/infection: change

from what i could see no. all they had was secruity updates and other things that werent specific i the nams.

My computer beeps too instead of using the spekers.and i ca't check for the updates atm bc i ended explorer to try and fiddle with more settins and am just waiting for avg to finish.

Looks like it's probably a virus. Wait and see what AVG says, I guess.

Yes it sad a bunch of trojans were found. How do I go about of deleting them? Or will avg do it for me?...ill just wait until the total serches aredone

Amd thanks for the replies, greatly appreciate someone comming out and giving advice.

AVG is a good start, run SpyBot S&D as well for any mal/spyware.

They're never gonna go away completely so my suggestion would be if they've infested as much as you describe:
As soon as you have near full functionality, back up everything then wipe everything. Full Windows format, DON'T do the quick one. Then start again.

I don't hav spybot, nor ca i download it...I deleted the files with avg but the computer still boots the same way...so I really don't know what to do.

What I am thinking of is plugging in a new harddrive and installing xp onto that, then when i get my new pc i will have it alreay instaled and ready to go, not to mentio I could add on the current drive and do a wipe that way why transferring all of the desiered files to another drive.

You'd have to reinstall XP with your new hardware, because it installs drivers specific to your configuration, but that might be a good way to recover files off your current drive. And it would get you up and running until you got all your new stuff.

could i not just throw in a new haddrivei into this cmputer? that way i donthave to take out this video card and ram to put into my new mobo.

Yeah you can. I just meant that if you did an XP install for your current hardware, you couldn't just pull the hard drive out and stick it in your new hardware configuration and expect XP to work right. Generally speaking, a new mobo is not compatible with an old OS installation, unless the chipsets on the mobo are the same.

lol xp... lol auto update....

format is your only logical solution

Or: swap the drives, install Windows again and then put the other drive back in as a second drive so you can save your data.

That is what I am going to do, I'm going to use my new WD640 and instal on there, then take all the wanted files...wipe the old drive and then start that one fresh.

Did you try safe mode? Might help get temperary service back without using the other HDD. That may save you some time and your HDD from getting multiple formats.

You must do a format of that disk though and reinstall windows if you want it to work correcly.

Anything you backup may be infected, so be careful.

You will need to wipe your computer though and be more careful with what you download.

Yeah you can. I just meant that if you did an XP install for your current hardware, you couldn't just pull the hard drive out and stick it in your new hardware configuration and expect XP to work right. Generally speaking, a new mobo is not compatible with an old OS installation, unless the chipsets on the mobo are the same.

I have expierence with this. I tried to boot a windows install from my old machine on my new one to recover some files that were locked on the old drive. My old machine had all of the drivers for an AMD Athlon X2 nforce 4 motherboard and an ATI video card, the machine I tried to boot it on was the one in my sig. Windows was extremely confused and took 10 minutes to do anything.

Well I am on a PC again. YAY. BUT NAY for me not having the XP Home install cd...I only have the activation code and no cd...thus I can't get updates from windows.

Any ideas?

Well I'm with Yaco on this one actually. Did you try running AVG in safe mode with no networking to remove the trojans? The trojans could always re-update themselves given the net connection.