Major shakdown at Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep: up to six models to be axed

nist7

Car(s)
2006 Acura TL
After the recent Cerberus acquisition, Chrysler is looking to re-organize its product line , which, according to industry analysts, may include relegating the following models into the history books:

Chrysler Pacifica
Chrysler Sebring
Dodge Durango
Dodge Dakota
Jeep Commander
Jeep Compass

Chrysler president and vice chairman Jim Press said that Chrysler is attempting to "recast its brands' images, making Chrysler seen as upscale; Jeep as rugged and off-road capable; and Dodge as high-volume cars and trucks."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...406/1014/rss13

BY TIM HIGGINS

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Chrysler LLC could cut as many as five nameplates within the month as part of its quick and dramatic makeover as a newly private company.

It's "highly likely" Chrysler's top brass will approve plans to kill vehicles this month, a person familiar with the situation told the Free Press. About five vehicles are being considered for elimination, but the source would not reveal which ones.

The likeliest models to go

Auto industry analysts predict the Chrysler Pacifica, Dodge Dakota, and Jeep Commander and Compass could face elimination. A company insider included those vehicles among a list of vehicles facing review. The source and another familiar with Chrysler's design pipeline also questioned the future of the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Durango.

The Chrysler Sebring is being considered for a complete makeover, though if that is not feasible, the car will probably be eliminated, the company insider said.

Yet another person familiar with Cerberus' thinking said the private equity firm questions why Chrysler's lineup includes the Dodge Durango SUV, which has seen its U.S. sales slide 30% this year.

Chrysler lost $680 million last year and $2 billion in the first three months of this year. Its U.S. sales are down 3% so far this year while its market share has remained steady -- something its Detroit rivals can not claim. The automaker wants to recast its brands' images, Press said, making Chrysler seen as upscale; Jeep as rugged and off-road capable; and Dodge as high-volume cars and trucks.

Chrysler has already made one high profile change to the product plan this year.

In July, about two months after the Cerberus acquisition was announced, Chrysler pulled the plug on plans for the Chrysler Imperial, which was going to be a full-size luxury sedan built on the same platform as the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger and Magnum.

Contact TIM HIGGINS at thiggins@freepress.com. Business writers Sarah A. Webster and Joe Guy Collier contributed to this report.

... and nothing of value was lost.

So in other words there will be no noticeable difference to the average driver who never sees these low-selling turdbuckets on the road anyway.

Dakota, really? What's wrong with having a small truck to go against the likes of the Colorado and the Frontier? Oh wait, it's hopelessly ugly, I suppose.

Also, I'll be tap dancing merrily on the Compass's grave. Thank you Cerberus! :dance:

Other than the Dakota, I see those cars all the time. I was under the impression that the Sebring, at least, was a big seller.

The only difference between the Sebring and a bucket of shit is that one has a Chrysler badge on it. My parents had to rent one when they took a trip and it was horrible. The entire electrical system is held together with sticky tape instead of fasteners and the skimped in every possible way. The only thing the right pedal does is cause the asthmatic engine to make more noise, the transmission was rubbish, the gas mileage was disappointing compared to other 4 cyl sedans.

It's a piece of crap and it should have been dragged out behind the woodshed and shot years ago. It's a mercy, really. I'm sure it will go to a farm where it will romp happily on the tarmac fields for hours with AMC Pacer and Ford Pinto.

As long as they stop playing those stupid Jeep commercials with the bobble heads then I'll be happy.

I'll be the first to piss on the Sebring's grave :D

The Chrysler Pacifica? That's like the only good car they have. The rest I can deal without. Good move by Cerberus...for the most part.

Wow...i have to say...Cerebus seems to be the best thing that could have happened to Chrysler.

The Pacifica will be lowered into its grave whimpering "But I was the first crossover..." Sucks for the rental agencies though, suddenly they'll have to get real(er) cars for a change!

I kind saw this coming when they announce the new 2008 model of Sebring convertible with ppl on ballons back on 06 LA autoshow :p

Finally someone has come to some sense and beat this pile of shit into grave :stig:

Last edited:
I agree with scrapping all of those, except the dakota, the new dakota facelift is really nice. I've always liked the V8 in the small truck thing, plus with ford possibly discontinuing the ranger they would have a greater share of the market.

Last edited:
I'm glad they killed the Compass. Now if they would just make 4WD standard on all Jeep models, they'll be back on par with Hummer.

The Sebring needed to go too. The new restyle sucked and the car itself was just boring.

The others I have no real problem with, but I'm glad Cerberus has the balls to kill them off. Things are really looking up for Chrysler.

Hummer is even more of a joke than most the Jeep vehicles. At least you can still get the Wranglers in the Rubicon package, and those will stomp any Hummer offroad (the H1 was slated to be discontinued for civilian use last I heard).

At least Hummers all come with 4WD standard. Some Jeeps come in FWD and all models come in 2WD. GM took the H3's up Jeep's Rubicon Trail with no problem. It was almost a joke.

The Wrangler Rubicon is only one model in that whole line up. But it is very good, for a stock offroader.