Minecraft

Short update on MineOS:

Now that I've had it up and running for a while, it's very stable and performs adequately on ancient hardware. It's also very easy to use SSH and SCP for management, and I have it set up so these are accessible over the internet. The two remaining disappointments are the web interface, which is very limited and doesn't appear to work for most functions, and the fact that it ate parts of my world.

In conclusion: hesitant recommendation, especially if you are starting a fresh world and don't have a real server environment to use. But it's a royal pain in the ass to set up on real hardware. It may also be much better in a virtual machine, since using the server on a standard Linux install seemed to leak memory (Windows was fine).

I may have overreacted a bit initially, I was growing very frustrated and my knowledge of Linux is not what I would like it to be. And my ISP decided to not work very well for the whole weekend, and somehow this affected the performance of my router on the internal network.... :?

Last edited:
photo.php
Hi guys i was invited by Iwbrck or rather Rowan. would it be possible to whitelist my username on minecraft cos i would love to join your server.

Cheers for your consideration. :mrgreen:

Anyone know how much it would cost to build my own server in the uk?
That is like asking "how much does a car cost?".

How many players, size of the map, network connection, how much you want to spend on power all contribute towards the specs you need.

I set up a server for free, the computer costs ~$600 but the set up is free and easy, still need to stress test it though.

I'm finally getting around to finishing my 'Great Wall' project. I only have a bit more filling in and some steps to add and I'm done.

After that I plan on adding some ancient buildings near it to expand Finalgearistan.

Whew! That was a LOT of wool...

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/ta/talaaya/2011/06/05/catbus.jpg

Here's hoping it doesn't burn down.

(For those of you not familiar with this character, it's Catbus from the movie My Neighbor Totoro)

my-neighbor-totoro_04.jpg
catbus1.jpg

Last edited:
its awsome Talaaya!
i hope you did make warp to it?

i noticed you were building something but had no idea what and to which scale. incredibly awesome! i'll have to take a look at it.

I set up a server for free, the computer costs ~$600 but the set up is free and easy, still need to stress test it though.

The server software is free, and for 4-5 players (haven't tried any more) my low-end cable internet is fine. The server hardware I am using is an old Pentium 4 box thrown together out of spare parts. So yes, entirely depends on your needs.

its awsome Talaaya!
i hope you did make warp to it?

Thanks guys!

He is made up of 12,473 blocks of wool, and completely filled with dirt...which is thousands more. Soon I'll be digging a tunnel up one of his legs so you can get up to him without a warp. (EDIT: you can now enter one of his legs and get up to his belly!)

Yeah there are a few warps:

"catbus" goes to the door in his leg
"catbustemp" goes on top of catbus' head I think
"catbusview" goes to a nearby hill
"catbusview2" goes to the screenshot location
"catbustop" goes to his roof
"catbustail" goes to his tail

He's not lit up yet so be careful; there's probably a monster party going on in his tummy. (EDIT: he's all lit up inside now.)

Last edited:
I put in a number of paths today, quite a few small ones in Finalgearistan. I also have a path going east of the town that wraps around the water to connect to my greatwall.

The largest addition though is a path that goes from the right cave under the Finalgear sign all the way to my desert wall. There's a little access point about halfway though. This is my attempt to make it easier to expand finalgearistan. I hope to put paths to all the beach houses in the future.

I've also noticed a few major problems. Being that the server was set up before mobs it seems a lot of paths in the spawn city are open to the torchless outside world. This means mobs randomly coming wandering in.

In Finalgearistan there are far too many tress, I almost got blown up by a creeper when I was in my bed. Someone also removed some of the torches I placed near the sign so when I entered the city it was full of mobs. Obviously the path out of this is axes, fires and torches.

Last edited:
TNT Land is now open for your enjoyment. Well, once the chuck errors are gone... so randomly at any point, or not.
Just warp to "tntland", so /warp tntland, everything else goes from there.

Have fun!

Talaaya, now to build the entire cast of Spirited Away!

Why single player?

PS: Pretty!

My Wifi has been acting up so I couldn't reliably stay connected to the server, I figured I would just dick around in single player until I sort out the problem.

and thanks, took a lot of work to get it to that stage with multiple times stepping back and not liking it.

Last edited: