Ownership Verified: My 1986 Volkswagen Polo Classic

20590082_263425130821132_3022344327004160000_n.jpg

So, it was the bearing. I got it changed in Lithuania very cheaply along with the other side; the struts had to come off to do them and the place only charged 52 euro for labour. From that point on the trip really got going the way it was supposed to.

20589474_1490645064314809_7800852767903318016_n.jpg

No longer having to trundle along to play it safe, we crossed over to Poland and drove to Warsaw without a hitch. In there, we stopped at the old FSO factory, starting the idea that I'd try to "catch" all the crappy Eastern cars on this trip. When we drove from Wroclaw to Dresden, I was able to stop at a Trabant repair and restoration garage!

20635432_506614213024012_3423641795987243008_n.jpg

After that, we drove to Eisenach for the night, and the next morning we visited the Automobilewelt Eisenach museum with all the weird and wonderful Wartburg cars.

DG5GXGJXsAEQVOv.jpg:large

DG5E4pUWAAAJndy.jpg:large

DG5E4pLXsAM8-W7.jpg:large

From Eisenach, we drove to the Ringmeet campsite via B-roads as I wanted to avoid another boring Autobahn run at 120km/h for hours.

20766351_1804396406539221_922608560578232320_n.jpg

The tires were still not quite balanced, so after asking around, I managed to get the car in at a Porsche garage of all places.

DG9PnXvXsAAcLkJ.jpg:large

DG9PnXvXkAAcFlp.jpg:large

They didn't want any money for their work.

And as the Ring was open on Saturday reasonably well, I wanted to get a lap in. Slow and careful, but a completed Ringlap!

20759971_1813822875614658_1027495913964175360_n.jpg

From Ringmeet, we continued north towards Hannover and on Monday we were able to visit the Wolfsburg factory grounds with the Polo.

20759649_122960018347772_6741120543107317760_n.jpg

The Volkswagen historic department people were really excited about the car and how we had managed to bring it back, and along with a factory tour, a museum tour and free Autostadt tickets I received a very official "birth certificate" for the car, detailing its build date and specs. It was a great visit and a great feeling to "return" the car home, inside the gates, even for a short while.

DHNo_o5WAAA5NM7.jpg:large

DHNo_o8WAAQe0bN.jpg:large

The rest of the trip was all about spending a couple days in Berlin, just taking it easy, letting the Polo rest in the hotel garage. We again caught up with Dr Grip and had a couple leisurely beers along with good Berlin kebab.

20837212_160933801123781_7428619557360631808_n.jpg

On Wednesday night, we fueled up the car again and drove to the Travem?nde ferry. Yesterday morning, we loaded up the Polo with some IKEA supplies and ran into unexpected problems. It wouldn't really run right, it kept bucking and dying on me, and a garage close by tuned the carb richer so it would make the trip home. Halfway up north in Pori it ran the worst it has ever ran, like absolute garbage. At that point it had maybe 15l of fuel in the 42l tank, so I bought 30 eur's worth of 98 ? and immediately fixed all running problems it had. Right off the bat it drove home without issue. So, did the ferry ride release some gunk in the tank? Was the last German tankful of 95 Super somehow bad? What gives?

20838579_136589766947261_1003083616206454784_n.jpg

Anyway, the car is now home in one piece, like we are. An insane drive, but yet so doable.

Now, it's time to empty the trunk of all the beer.

Last edited:
The Volkswagen historic department people were really excited about the car and how we had managed to bring it back, and along with a factory tour, a museum tour and free Autostadt tickets I received a very official "birth certificate" for the car, detailing its build date and specs. It was a great visit and a great feeling to "return" the car home, inside the gates, even for a short while.

That's so awesome I got the chills while reading that! :D :thumbup: Must spread some more yaddi yadda...

Especially one guy there had this glee in his eyes the whole time and he was really happy when I said he can sit in the car :cool: Apparently he had fond memories of the family Derby decades ago, and cars this original have long since vanished from regular usage. But the whole feel of the place was, just like they told me, "We are very happy to have you here."

Last edited:
The running issues have not resurfaced today. The only thing out of ordinary is a faint smell of fuel which I associate to the rich tune of the carb, and which I want to get fixed ASAP.

Ringmeet photos and a couple more track shots:

DxygkNh.jpg

jMkFdDi.jpg

vZA9Eux.jpg

RmVtSet.jpg

EELxwnl.jpg

E0ChykZ.jpg

ABK1K0t.jpg

Last edited:
I love Anu's facial expression. Bordering between boredom, disinterest and fear.

Also, I got my hands on the original English language brochure for the Mk2 Polo two-door saloon. The praise is heavily laden :lol:

jO0J5zb.jpg

A weekend away at the countryside, with the Polo running 100%. On the highway it just goes, and on smooth, redone tarmac it drives like a car with 700km on the clock should. :p

DIQHzy6WAAAROat.jpg:large

DIQh676XkAI0FEf.jpg:large

I threw the keys to my gf, and let her drive the car for part of the journey. She remarked on the clutch grabbing a bit high and how the car really needs an intermittent or slower position in the wipers, but was otherwise impressed. "You do have to be crazy to drive this for 5000km around Europe, you know." "I know!"

There is one easy way to improve the wipers:
Volkswagen part; 3B0 955 531 - top code 197, or 357 955 531 - top code 99. Simply pull out the old relay and push in the new - that's all there is to it.

Once it's done - the wipers work exactly as before, but with one small difference - the controller can 'learn' the wiper delay you want to use. Just use it normally - the default wipe interval is the same as the old one. If it's not right, just turn the wipers off and then switch them back to 'interval' mode when the screen needs clearing. Now you can relax - the controller will continue to use the interval you just set until you change it. To do that, just repeat the off-on sequence and the controller will use the new interval.

The programmable relay can be pricey from some sources but most junk yards should have them.

The running issues have not resurfaced today. The only thing out of ordinary is a faint smell of fuel which I associate to the rich tune of the carb, and which I want to get fixed ASAP.

After 1400km or so, the car started bucking again on 2/5 tank with previous tankfuls showing no problems, after 200km of continuous driving today. Full choke and a more pronounced press of the gas made it able to continue to the nearest gas station; I filled the car up and it continued to drive sputteringly, stalling at red lights and making poor progress. After one particular stall it seemed to right itself and continued to be driveable.

I'll have the tank removed and washed when I'm not 500km from home.

There is one easy way to improve the wipers:

The programmable relay can be pricey from some sources but most junk yards should have them.

This trick is used by Volvo 850/V70 owners as well, using a VAG relay. Works really well, apparently. But how would it work on a car that doesn't have intermittent wipers at all?

Ugh, so it wouldn't work after all? I did this relay swap to a '85 base spec mk2 Golf but that was years ago.

The Polo should have the same 6 pin wiper relay as all other VAG cars of the same vintage.

Had the coolant swapped for winter-proof stuff since the old coolant looked gnarly. The shop had a look in the fuel tank and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, the fuel in there was clear, the tank insides looked "as new" and no reason for the occasional running issue could be found. Wonder if it's something in the fuel lines.