NBC to make US version of Top Gear called "Gear"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programme

Car(s)
'06 SAAB 9-3
This thread is now locked due to repeated flaming and idiot posts.

Everything that's to be said has been said.

If (and only if) someone finds some new news about the show (and I don't mean more personal feelings, I mean actual news), then they can make a new thread.

For now, discussion is ending and we'll see how the show really is when it airs in March.

Stumbled across this Reuters Canada article. Apologies if this has been posted already.

Reuters Canada said:
http://ca.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idCAN1545067120080115?sp=true

NBC has pedal to the metal with "Top Gear" remake
Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:47am EST

By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The popular BBC car show "Top Gear" is revving up a U.S. edition.

NBC has ordered a pilot for "Gear," which will be announced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit (January 19-27). Casting is under way for hosts. As with the BBC version, it will offer a mix of cars, humor and celebrities.

The pilot will be filmed at a secret location around Los Angeles equipped with a race track and hangar where the show will be filmed in front of a audience.

NBC reality chief Craig Plestis said the network already is getting numerous inquiries from car companies that had heard rumblings about a U.S. remake.

"This is a favorite of all automobile companies as it shows their cars in such a great light," he said.

"Top Gear," which airs on BBC 2, originally launched in 1977 but has gained wider popularity since its relaunch in 2002.

Among "Gear's" popular segments that will be replicated in the U.S. are races where the hosts have to reach a destination using different modes of transportation, road tests, challenges like converting and refurbishing existing cars into anything from a stretch limo to an amphibian and celebrities racing a midsize car. ("American Idol's" Simon Cowell holds the record for fastest lap time with a Chevrolet Lacetti.)

The U.K. show is hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May and also features the Stig, a masked test driver. The U.S. version also will feature a quartet of presenters, including a secret test driver.

The BBC originally mulled doing an American version with the original British hosts, but the idea fell through in the summer, mostly over Clarkson's unwillingness to spend extended periods of time away from his family as well as the show's growing ratings success in Britain.

In September 2006, Hammond was seriously injured while taping a test run with a jet-propelled drag-racing car. The episode featuring footage of the crash opened the show's highest-rated season to date, with the season finale drawing BBC 2's biggest ratings in a decade.

Australian multicultural broadcaster SBS recently bought the rights to produce a local version of "Top Gear."

In addition to the show, the British "Gear" franchise includes a popular companion car-themed Web site as well as Top Gear magazine.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Last edited by a moderator:
I have reservations over an American version, mainly due to problems mentioned a million times before - fear of lawsuits, carmakers throwing hissy fits, an inevitable pro-American car stance, and the lack of Morgans, for one.

Having said that, I wish the pilot (if it's really happening) the best of luck, and hope it gets made. A cheap knock off of Top Gear is better than no cheap knock off of Top Gear.

edit - waitaminute. Won't the writers' strike affect this?

Looking forward to 'Gear'. Hopefully it retain the charm and outspokenness of the original, but as teeb pointed, a commercial American network like NBC will have to worry a lot more about sponsors and litigation than the BBC. I hope 'Gear' will have a pro-American/anti-European stance. Give the Americans a chance to get back at us - the cost of motoring in Europe, high fuel prices, poncy European sportcars vs. some Detroit V8 iron tearing up the strip. NBC did a good version of The Office, so there is some hope that the charm won't be lost in the Americanisation.

My prediction: The 2 knockoffs will suck. The Australian one will be similar to fifth gear and the American one won't amount to anything.

Looking forward to 'Gear'. Hopefully it retain the charm and outspokenness of the original, but as teeb pointed, a commercial American network like NBC will have to worry a lot more about sponsors and litigation than the BBC. I hope 'Gear' will have a pro-American/anti-European stance. Give the Americans a chance to get back at us - the cost of motoring in Europe, high fuel prices, poncy European sportcars vs. some Detroit V8 iron tearing up the strip. NBC did a good version of The Office, so there is some hope that the charm won't be lost in the Americanisation.

as long as it doesnt become some fatuous [read with american accent] "god bless us and our motors" and "these are the cars of the country of freedom, liberty, justice and world saviours" then im happy with them ripping other countries.

Soon we'll have to be getting rips of three different Top Gear: The Original (best one, featuring Jezza, Hamster and Capt. Slow), Australian Top Gear , and American "Gear" .

Here's to hoping that the two cheap knock-offs are good and not rubbish.

I suspect NBC won't be as laid back as the BBC are when it comes to rips been posted on the internet. The only reason why the BBC isn't to fussed is because they don't have to worry about advertisings.

I must admit that I am not looking forward to laugh tracks, constant crap car advertisements, and all of the other reasons I already don't watch any TV over here. I want this to succeed, I really do, but I have a feeling it won't be informative, entertaining, or even beautiful.

"these are the cars of the country of freedom, liberty, justice and world saviours"

You know americans dont really talk like this right? I hope this new knockoff is done well. Just make a carbon copy of Top gear with new hosts and it will be just as good.

And there NEEDS to be a stig.

It will be an absolute miracle if this even close to being as good as Top Gear.
99% chance of it being a watered down copy.

edit - waitaminute. Won't the writers' strike affect this?
Silly teeb, don't you know Top Gear is unscripted? :p

Anyway, the knockoffs will most likely suck, but will they suck as much as Fifth Gear?

Oh God, more people talking about how the Mustang is the greatest car ever made...

I just imagine it being like all those bad car shows on the Speed network

"This is a favorite of all automobile companies as it shows their cars in such a great light," he said.
:puke:

Now I see what all those diehard British The Office fans were on about.

You have a point there -- if they were to make an American Top Gear (I don't like how they erased "Top" btw), it'd make more sense for the show to be Americanized rather than being another direct copy of the UK Top Gear. The UK Top Gear and the US Top Gear could be on-screen "enemies" -- Clarkson making fun of the US presenters by saying that they're fat people who can't make decent cars and the US presenter making fun of the UK motoring culture (highway safety wombles, congestion zones, etc)

I really hope that they won't be drowned in the health & safety / advertising / "promotion" of reckless driving / environmental issues. People in North America seems to be more sensitive about these issues. (If this show comes out, I suspect Al Gore might be the first one to file a complain to the show and he'll win another Nobel prize...)

The last thing I want to see is them promoting some crappy bad looking American SUVs just because they're not allowed to make fun of horrible cars.

Who do you think should be the 3 presenters?

These are the people I can think of:

Jay Leno -- knows about cars a lot, funny enough and famous enough to attract attention for the show. Think that he drives well too?

Jerry Seinfeld -- funny, seems to have some knowledge on cars.

And erm... That's it.

You know americans dont really talk like this right? I hope this new knockoff is done well. Just make a carbon copy of Top gear with new hosts and it will be just as good.

And there NEEDS to be a stig.

I know - i've been to america and most of the people there were thoroughly nice! no comment about its leader though :p

and tbh, a carbon copy wouldnt work, part of top gears charm is in the chemistry of the presenters, and so the new show would have to find that on its own, and obviously with different presenters, the show dynamics would be completely changed.

10 bucks says there will also be a hot chick with big boobs that knows nothing about cars and just read the cue cards.

AHHHHHH CRAP!

I think it may just be the current "ZOMG Let's remake everything to make it better and louder with more lasers!!!" (See: TMNT, Knight Rider, etc), but I think this is just gonna be a bad idea. Sure they could make it really good if they really try, but as someone said earlier with the litigious penchant America has and the obvious pro-America slant it just won't be as enjoyable.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

10 bucks says there will also be a hot chick with big boobs that knows nothing about cars and just read the cue cards.

Oh, and this too^.

Well it's NBC, at least it has LOTSA money & Jay Leno in reserve, so the only thing we can do is wait.

Here was what I started another thread (didn't know this was posted already):::

Cool? I don't think it will be. It'll probably be shown on Speed Channel and be some ricer-enforcing bullshit and the presenters will suck. One will also undoubtedly be some big-boobed bimbo who ruins the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.