Off Road

I love his channel also Matt's offroad recovery and fab rats, it's nice how their channels regularly cross each others paths and they all have really nice content.

I love his channel also Matt's offroad recovery and fab rats, it's nice how their channels regularly cross each others paths and they all have really nice content.
Matt's Off Road Recovery is a clown show. He only knows how to hook up a kinetic rope and Whisky Throttle it until something comes free or breaks. He's dangerous and has repeatedly put himself, his crew, customers, and vehicles at risk. I finally had to stop watching his channel when he nearly pulled a customer vehicle over one of his guys and his dog.

Oh, and then there's his criminal history of insurance fraud.

Compare how dynamic Matt's recoveries are compared to Rory's. Rory's recoveries are almost boring - he assesses carefully, manages safety, and if something isn't working he stops to reassess and reset the recovery. It's pretty rare you see him solve problems with the throttle pedal.

Reactions: Hok
"Ultimate off roader" with leg pipes, fragile side steps, and street tires on expensive spindly alloys.

At this point TFL is just a front to buy luxury SUVs for old men with bad backs.

Awesome until you hit the rocker or snakebite the low profile tires. TFL doesn't do anything my Xterra can't do, and I have a pretty mild build.

When I have time I will post some videos of the more advanced trails in the area and the crazy rigs that are needed to drive them.

I particularly like the "easy" and "mellow" trail resulted in the rollover.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzZJu-g0iDY

View: https://youtu.be/P0SmlDaYaLc?t=127

View: https://youtu.be/gBLclFmjzbc?t=63
All the stuff TLF does is Hell's Revenge and Fins 'n' Things, these trails are essentially a city park and right at the edge of town. They are very fun and require some attention, but they are also very drivable by stock vehicles. Here's a photo of my brother's Xterra on Fins 'n' Things. He has a mild 2" lift and my hand-me-down rear bumper, but that's it. He has no skid plates, rock sliders, and the stock front bumper. He drove the trail and never touched a body panel and never scraped his undercarriage. Floating this tire was probably the sketchiest part of the trail for him.

xterra.JPG

Any reasonably aggressive stock 4x4 should be able to do the trails TFL does without an issue. I would take anything from a Suzuki Jimny to a stock Grand Cherokee on those trails and I bet I could drive them without damaging the vehicle. There are some hard obstacles on Hell's Revenge, but they are optional - and I notice TFL never takes them on and usually picks the easy line. You can absolutely challenge yourself on either trail by taking the harder lines or optional obstacles, and these are where the trails get their reputation; TFL tends to drive around them and play up the difficulty.

Last edited:
Sand Hollow is pretty much in my backyard. There's something there for everyone from Level 3 trails for stock 4x4s all the way to Level 10+ stuff for crazy rock buggies. I'd eventually like to get the XJ to where it's capable of Level 7-8 stuff but it's still mostly stock so it's Level 3-4ish for now. Still a lot of fun to be had there. And there's no shortage of places to explore throughout the area.

Once we get the LJ built we will have to get down to Sand Hollow, I've always gone to Moab.

Toquerville is another one I need to go explore.

I'd be up for a Sand Hollow trip. I've been through that area but only on the motorcycle and I stuck to pavement.

Once we get the LJ built we will have to get down to Sand Hollow, I've always gone to Moab.

Toquerville is another one I need to go explore.
I've only driven the road to the falls but the road is in such terrible condition it's practically a rocky trail now. A few years ago I would have dared take my wife's Subaru up the road but the side-by-sides have torn it up so bad I wouldn't drive it now on anything less than a good-quality all-terrain tire, and fairly slowly at that. The Rattlesnake trail would be fun but I think there are a few spots that are a little too much for my Jeep to handle in its current state.

I mean, my XJ would be unstoppable on their idea of a serious trail. Then again, 95% percent of anyone with a driver's license thinks a gravel road counts as"off road."

I mean, my XJ would be unstoppable on their idea of a serious trail. Then again, 95% percent of anyone with a driver's license thinks a gravel road counts as"off road."

I remember being out canoeing in my 2WD van when a local car dealership came by with the Hummer outing that they sponsored. I was passed by more than a million dollars worth of vehicles that were doing the worst impression of a Jeep Jamboree and I got there in my old van.

Edit:

Part of the reason I noticed the group is because they pulled onto the trail I was on that lead to the river, and they turned around because they didn't want to cross the knee deep river.

Last edited: