Our "own" car reviews

My uncle has one of those (but in boring grey and with the wrong 1.3 CDTI engine). 130 hp/300nm sounds like a LOT in a car that size, but then again this was pretty much identical to my old Astra (125 hp/280 nm). 0-100 is well under 10 seconds I suppose? Any idea about topspeed yet? :p

The 1.3 that is actually a 1.25! Why did they put that in the J? It was dangerously underpowered in the H and the J is much heavier. The fuel consumption was pretty atrocious too because the turbo is bigger than the engine.

Last edited:
Because cheap. And suppisedly low co2. My brother in law had the same engine in an older generation Astra, which exploded at around 100k kms, or as I like to call it 'halfway'

Well it is a Fiat unit... ;)

I just set up a rental for my girlfriend and I in Orlando. (We were originally going to rely on Disney's own complementary transit network, but after some more searching and recommendations from friends it turned out a rental car is a better deal.) I don't know what it will be for sure, but it's in Sixt's PCAR class that includes the MB CLA, Audi A3, Volvo S60 and similar. Full review next weekend when we're back.

'Similar' is the worst word in rental cars. Hope you get something interesting

Which, it's not bad. Just boring.

Ehhhh in a hyper-competitive class of all stars...being merely adequate is pretty bad. I mean who makes a already tight feeling rear seat even smaller in a redesign?

Chevrolet, that's who.

What's even more damming is that its arguably worse than the old car in important aspects like interior/exterior style and space.

Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls, I present the baddest mofo I have ever driven, the:

Ditch Witch RT45

When you need to dig a ditch and you don't want to break out the shovels this is the machine for you. Top speed? Irrelevant. MPG? Please. 0-60? If it's on the trailer behind a truck. 1/4 mile? About 1.5 hours (while digging a 12" deep trench).

We had several things that needed to be trenched in here at the track, we rented this Ditch Witch RT45 for a day to get the job done. I must say that is what it did. We dug a 2 foot deep trench for a water line (300 foot long) and 1 foot deep trench for nearly the entire 1/4 mile to bury some new electrics. Before we had always rented the walk behind unit, it was slow, difficult to use, etc. This machine is far superior. Plus the little blade on the front makes burying the new line/wires a snap. Power is provided by a Deutz diesel that is louder than the Kubota diesels I'm use to, but it gave plenty of grunt to complete the task at hand.

I did manage to bury the machine in a particularly soft spot, but our Kubota tractor had no issues pulling it out.

Overall? I'd rent this again if I needed to trench in anymore lines or wires

It's true! I once rented a "Golf GTI or similar" and ended up with a VW Sharan diesel. :lol:

Ditch bitch. :)

My guess: Chevy Malibu

Which, it's not bad. Just boring.

'Similar' was a gamble, but it paid off better than a Malibu.

2013/4 Mercedes C250: Budget Luxury Is Still Better Than Top-Shelf Mass Market

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

I'm not going to lie, I decided to try out Sixt after narf's Camaro adventures in California. I am familiar with Enterprise (who handled my last rental) and other common American rentals, so I figured why not give Sixt a try? I didn't request anything in particular within the PCAR class, so they assigned me the C250 you see above. Cheapest, most barebones C-Class on offer when Sixt bought it, with a turbocharged I4 engine powering the rear wheels and not much in terms of interior frills except for heated seats and a sunroof. Given that the size and engine are very similar to my Dart, my girlfriend and I found ourselves comparing them a lot for the week we had to drive around in it.

Interior: Nicely conservative, in a standard Mercedes black, and pretty well put together. Leather seats, clear sightlines (dat hood), good instruments. My biggest nitpick was the wing mirrors. They were a little small and somewhat of an odd shape, but nothing dangerous Center mirror was perfectly fine and had a nice view out the back. Driving position was comfortable and didn't cause any problems with the B-pillar.

Second nitpick: cupholders. I know it sounds like a horribly American complaint, but I was on vacation and had drinks to juggle. We would take some to keep in the car for the end of the day, then sometimes came back out of the parks with unanticipated drinks. The Mercedes had 2 in the center console and two more hidden behind a 3-step process in the rear folding armrest. The Dart has the ones in the rear armrest immediately accessible instead of having to fold them out, and two extra ones in the door pockets. Also, my girlfriend doesn't like that the grab handle on the doors has no bottom, as she typically uses that space in cars to store a chapstick or something small that could get easily lost in the door pocket or center console.

Trunk was nice. Same goosenecks as the Dart, but they had specific recesses instead of being allowed to come down on the cargo. Also felt like a bigger space, easily swallowed our two backpacks and two 22" bags with room to spare. The Dart held them as well but didn't have as much room to spare.

Driving: It can move. Down low it has just a little less lag than my Dart, but when it picks up it'll push me back and break speed limits much faster. I didn't test the limits of handling, given that Disney would not have appreciated it in their parking lots full of children, but it was a very point-and-go application. Steering wheel was smaller than the Dart and flat-bottomed, which resulted in quicker inputs and always knowing how the wheel was pointed if I shuffled my hands around without having to look at it. Nice feedback, just-right resistance, and no detectable play. Very precise.

Brakes were strong and never really faded (not that I used them in a way that would cause fade). Much appreciated, because holy shit no one down there can drive and the road signage is the worst. Before I even got to the Sixt counter, I saw an SUV reconsider the exit it was taking and cut right across the striped area back onto the highway with seemingly no concern for other traffic. This scene would be repeated daily every single day I was down there. Only further compounded by lanes that would end without any signage except faded MERGE instructions on the roadway as the lane was ending. Some I saw coming, others were over the crest of a hill. Add old drivers going 15 under the limit, ragers going 20 over, and everyone tailgating, and driving was...fun. Seriously, Florida, sign the roadways.

Handling was just as nice. Responsive, put-together (again, this is regular driving; it may behave differently at the Nordschleife), and sharp. Didn't really handle potholes any better, but it's Florida so they didn't have that many, and the ones I did find weren't that deep. Road noise was greatly reduced, too.

Miscellaneous: I already miss the dual-zone climate control. My girlfriend and I have different ideas of acceptable temperatures, so letting her have a dial that just did it automatically was a godsend. COMAND was...different. I'm used to the Uconnect touchscreen now, so going back to using buttons was an adjustment. Given the different menu structure and use, I was of course looking at the screen for changes, but I can easily see not having to look at it once you get used to where stuff is. Advantage COMAND. Everything else was adequate, kinda boils down to preference.

Small aside to talk about the cruise control: that stalk was weird. Took some fiddling to figure out its operation, but then it was fine. Only incident was when I accidentally activated cruise control rather than a turn signal. Not a mistake I'm repeating ever.

Conclusion: The C250 was similar to my Dart in size, powertrain, and amenities only. Other than that, it was superior. Better handling, better NVH, better power. Kind of expected given that a C-Class starts at about $40k to the Dart's $17k or so, and a good $15k more than what my Dart cost, but if this is any indication of the CLA-Class, no wonder they had a sales hit at first. About the only place I expect my Dart to win over the C-Class is in long-term repair costs. Needless to say, I checked out some used prices upon getting home.

Brakes were strong and never really faded (not that I used them in a way that would cause fade). Much appreciated, because holy shit no one down there can drive and the road signage is the worst. Before I even got to the Sixt counter, I saw an SUV reconsider the exit it was taking and cut right across the striped area back onto the highway with seemingly no concern for other traffic. This scene would be repeated daily every single day I was down there. Only further compounded by lanes that would end without any signage except faded MERGE instructions on the roadway as the lane was ending. Some I saw coming, others were over the crest of a hill. Add old drivers going 15 under the limit, ragers going 20 over, and everyone tailgating, and driving was...fun. Seriously, Florida, sign the roadways.

Handling was just as nice. Responsive, put-together (again, this is regular driving; it may behave differently at the Nordschleife), and sharp. Didn't really handle potholes any better, but it's Florida so they didn't have that many, and the ones I did find weren't that deep. Road noise was greatly reduced, too.

Judging road noise in Florida is hard because the asphalt seems more rough than northern asphalt roads.

I can agree that orlando roads have terrible markings and the drivers are ditzy. I avoid I-4 as much as possible.

My Accord's catalytic converter clogged up and I ended up in a rental car for a few days in order to get to work. I'd rather not be bored to tears at my house and use up my vacation/pto days.

When I approached the Enterprise lot, I saw a red Sonic sedan and figured I'd get that. However, when I was asked what kind of car I was looking for, I stressed "a small one" and ended up with this little number:

7V5ytOq.jpg

It's a 2014 Hyundai Elantra SE. For 2014, the base GLS trim is replaced by the SE nomenclature. This isn't a "Sport" model like the SE name would suggest - there's a Elantra Sport trim with more kit and firmer suspension tuning.

Exterior: I've always found the front of this generation Elantra to be quite attractive- better than the outgoing Sonata IMO, and the refreshed model confirms that opinion. I especially like the white highlights in the headlamps. What I didn't like initially was the sweeping line coming down the side of the car...this grew on me as I looked over the car though and by the end of the rental, I liked it. The fact that this base trim car has alloys standard was another nice touch that makes it look expensive.

Another thing I liked was the paint. I was like "oh it's white" when i picked it up, but I discovered that it's a white that glitters in sunlight. It's quite fetching and goes well with the overall exterior design. Surprisingly, for not being a "refrigerator" white, there's no extra charge for this color - it's the only white one can get on the Elantra.

fD6Z0tO.jpg

Overall: it's a good looking car that's aged surprisingly well, it'll be interesting to see the styling direction Hyundai takes with the next gen model.

Interior: This car had the gray/black interior. While not my first choice personally (I find them to be too dark oftentimes) it wears it well.

jI6Qj3m.jpg

The metallic trim brightens up the interior and I like the gauges - the white backlighting makes them easy to read day or night. I've always liked Hyundai/Kia's switchgear and display typeface selection until their most recent products - this is no exception - it's "friendly with it's rounded edges" and easy to quickly glance at. Outside temp at a glance is a nice touch.

The refresh brings a revised center stack - vents have been moved upward to address complaints and they've worked well to quickly heat the interior during these below freezing days and evenings. The climate controls have been changed to be easier to understand, with fan and temperature knobs no longer stacked "within" one another.

Many switchgear and materials felt high quality: the turn signal/wiper stalks, soft touch upper dashboard (the black portion of the dash), the thunk of the closing doors, and the way the shifter moves through it's PRND +/- detents are a few examples. Disappointingly, though, the fan speed knob felt a bit cheap in the hand-there was a bit of left-right wiggle in the knob.

Other bits of the interior reduced the upscale ambiance upon closer inspection: The headliner is supposed to resemble a upscale woven one...but just felt like cardboard. I used the sun visor to shield some glare, and the flashing from the heat sealing of the sun visor covering (not sure if it's supposed to be cloth or not...) scraped my hand. There was a slight creak and give when the secondary door pull behind the window switches was used on the driver's door. The power port for my phone charger didn't work. Finally, the passenger's door card was noticeably misaligned with the passenger side dashboard vent.

Another cheap interior feature was the lack of a cloth covering on the door cards:

Gvv7gEV.jpg

On other vehicles, you'll find cloth or leather/leatherette on the middle gray portion of the doors, but on the Elantra SE without the Popular Equipment Package...these are hard plastic. It's tolerable but I was already noticing some wear on these surfaces. It wouldn't surprise me if people were using their ring covered hands to push on this area to open the door...or if a ring or something was getting caught/rubbed on the hard plastic surface in the mere act of just resting an arm on the door while driving.

It should really be standard - it would up the ambiance of the interior considerably.

The seat was fairly comfortable and adjustable 6 ways. It had a tilt and telescope steering wheel so it was easy for me to get comfy. Visibiltiy was a mixed bag.. great in front and initially out the side..but as I needed to look further back, the C pillar blocked a lot of my view - there's a blind spot mirror but since I properly adjusted the mirrors, having that fixed BS mirror eat up the outer upper corner of the mirror space hurt rather than helped. Hyundai says they've lowered noise levels with more insulation for 2014...the car seemed just ok in this regard...nothing stunning, a Cruze is likely quieter on the open road.

Infotainment was pretty good, the XM radio had strong signal. The radio unexpectedly had issues: twice the radio didn't make any sound. Turning off the radio and turning it back on solved it but it was still unexpected given that this was a basic, non touchscreen, non color screen, radio. There was USB/Aux and iPod integration but I didn't use it. Disappointingly, Bluetooth is reserved for models with the Popular Equipment Package. Again....this should be standard. Honda, Toyota and Chevy, among others in the class, have standard Bluetooth.

Overall, I like the Interior - the lack of BT and cloth of the door cards would really make me consider bumping up to the Popular Equipment Package. I'm sure higher trims have nicer feeling stuff like the headliner too, I just wish some of that was given to lower trim cars.

Driving: This Elantra had the standard 148 hp 1.8 engine mated to a 6 speed autobox. Overall, while I found it to be a little sluggish, I'll blame the use of the Active Eco feature for that...and I was rewarded with 40 mpg on the highway according to the computer near the end of my time with the car. Before that, it was around 35 mpg or so. The automatic is pretty responsive like on the 2011 Sonata I've driven extensively: it's always willing to drop a gear or two to maintain forward progress. I never had trouble passing or felt a lack of power merging..it just seemed to come on a little slow.

The steering is pretty light and easy but it's pretty lifeless. Hyundai has added selectable steering modes for 2014: I found it to be comical in Comfort mode..i was able to park with a pinky haha. Sport didn't really do much but make it heavy...feedback remained pretty non existent compared to the Accord's hydraulic system. Braking performance was great, however the pedal seemed touchy..like..."ok..slowing down..WHOA". Not terribly smooth although I got used to it.

The ride...oh the ride. This generation Elantra took a downgrade with the rear suspension, ditching the previous gen's IRS for a torsion beam. At low speeds with bumps that are parallel and extend to both rear wheels, the ride is pretty decent. It's a tad firm but better than floating around. However, if a bump manages to hit only one rear wheel or hits them both at slightly different times, you can feel the torsion beam rear end twitch and jiggle laterally. It's unnerving, particularly when crossing bumps and highway expansion joints at highway speeds and/or hitting them going around bends.

To be fair, there could be external factors to this lack of refinement: My rental's rear tire pressure, for example, could have been too high...but if it wasn't then I am shocked that other Elantra drivers don't notice this. This would actually be a deal-breaker for me, particularly if I was considering a higher trim Elantra....I couldn't let myself spend over 23k for a loaded Elantra Limited with a rear suspension like this. I'd feel like a sucker every time I hit a bump that made it quiver. The Sport trim with it's even firmer suspension tune...would be a non starter for me IF the suspension really is like this across the base Elantra lineup and not something isolated to my rental.

In Closing: I like this car, I really do. The mileage was phenomenal, the car looks amazing, and the powertrain works well. But I can't get over the cheap decisions that work like "death of a 1000 papercuts" to reduce the Elantra's appeal. If they tightened up the interior quality/content, upped the fun factor, and refined the suspension, this could be a real winner in base trim. In fact, if you don't really care about driving, the base trim is a decent value even if other brands give you more content - the 10 year warranty certainly would add peace of mind. But I wouldn't go any higher than GLS with PEP - By the time you reach other trims...you may be able to snag yourself something a bit more fun and refined.