PSA: Dog/Cat Owners

The meat by products are the really nasty bits, but I do like seeing fish right up at the top. Liver isn't bad either. If she really likes stinky fish foods, and let's face it lots of them do, Wellness makes a couple of flavors that reek to high heaven and so does Merrick. Also look for anything that contains herring. BLECH!

Ohh, I just thought of something. The California Natural dry kibble I just bought Cross Eyed Avatar Cat is herring flavored. It's the worst smelling kibble I've ever bought. I wonder if your cat might be interested?

LOL I like how we're basing my cat's dietary future on how bad the food smells. The nastier, the better!

I'll have to give that a shot. In direct defiance of my Dutch and Norwegian heritage, I absolutely cannot stand herring in any form, so she'd probably be all over it. How does Cross Eyed Avatar Cat like it? (CEAC never, ever fails to make me smile, btw.)

Because I've been rotating his food ever since he came to live with me at around 1.5 years old, he's taken to the new, stinky food well. However he takes to most new food well so he may not be a good yard stick. Unless he's in neurotic mode because I'm going out of town, he'll eat just about anything. The stinky food thing is an old rescuer's trick for cats with upper respiratory infections since cats won't eat what they can't smell. I learned all the stinkiest foods when I was the half way house for nearly adopted but still sick felines. The California Natural is the first kibble I've found offensively stinky, so that must mean it's pretty bad! The Wellness canned that smells so bad has sardines in it. Green can I think? It's pretty normal for cats to like smelly food. It's what they do. :p

I'm well-accustomed to cats eating stinky food; I've had them for the better part of 33 years. I've just never had a picky little diva who insists on fish and fish only.

I am going to try that California Naturals and that Wellness stuff. Is it pretty easy to find?

I'm well-accustomed to cats eating stinky food; I've had them for the better part of 33 years. I've just never had a picky little diva who insists on fish and fish only.

I am going to try that California Naturals and that Wellness stuff. Is it pretty easy to find?

Wellness is getting easier to find. I think Petsmart and Petco carry it now but it's VERY over priced there (I quit shopping there when every time I went in the small animals and birds were sick). Whole Foods carries a few flavors (not sure about the stinky ones). I buy all my pet food from Pet Supplies Plus which, in my area, doesn't sell any animals at all. Unfortunately that is a franchisee decision and I've heard some have awful conditions. Anyway, I was saying, California Natural is a bit harder to find but they have a where to buy page as does Wellness. I'm not sure what other brands are highly fish based, but I'll keep my eye open.

Ohhhhh, I should ask. Does Little Miss Diva prefer pate food or flaked? The Wellness is all pate. Solid Gold and Merrick both (to my recollection) make flaked foods that are fish based.

Usually once you find a store that carries one of these brands, you'll have found a place with a selection.

Last edited:
The Vet - Mr Fitzpatrick - who looked after my Cavalier when he had hip replaced and a disc "explode" in his back is on BBC1 in a series "The Bionic Vet" (Monday 20:00hrs - I think) he is a world class pioneer in many surgical techniques in pets and some of his techniques have been transplanted (I see what you did there. ...) to human Surgery.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/science_and_environment/10404251.stm

Should be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh, I should ask. Does Little Miss Diva prefer pate food or flaked?

She doesn't care as long as the smell makes me retch.

The Vet - Mr Fitzpatrick - who looked after my Cavalier when he had hip replaced and a disc "explode" in his back is on BBC1 in a series "The Bionic Vet" (Monday 20:00hrs - I think) he is a world class pioneer in many surgical techniques in pets and some of his techniques have been transplanted (I see what you did there. ...) to human Surgery.

I just read about/watched a clip about what he did for Oscar, the cat whose rear feet were torn off in a combine accident. This vet is my new hero.

Wellness is getting easier to find. I think Petsmart and Petco carry it now but it's VERY over priced there (I quit shopping there when every time I went in the small animals and birds were sick). Whole Foods carries a few flavors (not sure about the stinky ones). I buy all my pet food from Pet Supplies Plus which, in my area, doesn't sell any animals at all. Unfortunately that is a franchisee decision and I've heard some have awful conditions. Anyway, I was saying, California Natural is a bit harder to find but they have a where to buy page as does Wellness. I'm not sure what other brands are highly fish based, but I'll keep my eye open.

Pet Supplies Plus in my area carries Wellness, but it's crazy expensive, about twice as much as the Blue Buffalo we went with. We use the moist training treats for the dog, though. She'll do about anything for them.

Pet Supplies Plus in my area carries Wellness, but it's crazy expensive, about twice as much as the Blue Buffalo we went with. We use the moist training treats for the dog, though. She'll do about anything for them.

Yes, Wellness kibble is crazy over priced. I should have specified I was talking about the canned cat food, which although more grocery brands is in line with other quality feeds.

We have bought Science Diet many times for our dogs.. not anymore.

Smart man. The ingredients are crap (almost entirely corn) and the price is through the roof. I will only buy their Rx feeds and only as a move of desperation.

Last edited: