Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Another random thought,

with every new model, new Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche, ect... They all get longer, wider, bigger - "it's longer by 50mm, wider by 40mm". I know it's only 5cm, but if it continues what's the future then? A Scania based 911?

:)

They are just matching customer needs - everyone is getting fatter, therefore we need larger cars.

As for the earmuffs in the F1, Tiff explains it:

The SLR is just a different kind of car from the F1, it's a GT-focused car vs being 100% performance-focused. Who says every car they make has to be the world's fastest hypercar just because the first one was?

Please move this to the Carbage thread. I do not want to see it ever again.

Awesome thread worthy?

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/03/17/K9nEh.jpg

Okay. Right now it's between that Focus and the V70, and while the Volvo is cheaper it has a lot more miles on it.

Okay. Right now it's between that Focus and the V70, and while the Volvo is cheaper it has a lot more miles on it.

I'd get the Focus because I'd be afraid of running costs on the Volvo. I'm sure there are people here who would say that their pretty comparable/reliable (and given I know jack shit about the inner workings of a Volvo...they're probably right :p) but idk..European nameplates always scream "you're gonna get raped when something breaks" more than say..a Ford or w/e. :/

Plus, the Focus probably gets better mileage and these later year first gen Foci, while tuned a bit softer than the pre refresh cars, still handled admirably well for the segment. :)

Last edited:
Listening to that guy try to say "quattrovalvole" was possibly the funniest thing I've seen all day

Seen this on the way up to Willows.

http://img7.imageshack.**/img7/4232/yodawgtrailer.jpg

Yo dawg...

So I kept hearing the sound of a bunch of motorcycles racing down the street from my house. Coming home from work today I realized it wasn't a couple of crotch rockets but a couple of Ferrari's from the local car dealership. Knowing this... could you guys PLEASE stop it... and pick something at actually sounds good, like a Maserati Gran Turismo or a Lamborghini Gallardo? kthxbye

I'd get the Focus because I'd be afraid of running costs on the Volvo. I'm sure there are people here who would say that their pretty comparable/reliable (and given I know jack shit about the inner workings of a Volvo...they're probably right :p) but idk..European nameplates always scream "you're gonna get raped when something breaks" more than say..a Ford or w/e. :/

Plus, the Focus probably gets better mileage and these later year first gen Foci, while tuned a bit softer than the pre refresh cars, still handled admirably well for the segment. :)

Yeah, the gas mileage and the nickle and diming of a higher-mileage car are kind of turning me away from the Volvo, especially if it's a car I plan on keeping for a while.

They are just matching customer needs - everyone is getting fatter, therefore we need larger cars.

Yep, and in the meantime they forget about ickle people with short arms and legs who have to put the seat almost dangerously close to the wheels so they can fully depress the pedals. My Jazz is one of the few cars I sat in at the time I was car shopping that had the right driving position and seat adjustment to be comfortable. :-(

Every Sunday morning I walk my dog round a local playing field and without fail these same five 17 -19 year olds turn up in their cars and loiter round the area, don't they have anything better to do on a Sunday morning?

I wouldn't say that. The only reason my Volvo has been reliable and cheap to maintain is pure luck. There are problems, but I manage to fix them on a shoe-string budget. However it could very expensive to maintain...

At around 150,000 miles everything made of rubber starts to fail. Heater cores also notorious and they cost $120 (the equivalent for a Focus is half of that). So yeah...if you are looking for something cheap to maintain stay away from Volvo's. They could be as expensive as a BMW in terms of maintenance.

And you also run into the problem of people not willing to work on it because it is "fancy and European".

Random question: about how much is the cost for a whole front door for a Mk1 Ford Focus?

Reason: rather serious biff in traffic with my dad driving, door damaged badly, needs replacing. Once it's repaired, I'm the sole driver until June, dad's license is suspended for 3 months.

Last edited: