Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That. A 4WD Cuntryman will quickly go for over 30k?. For that kind of money you could easily get (yeah, you guessed it) a fully kitted Octavia RS DSG.
Not to mention that I have a habbit of throwing rotten fruit at ppl who drive one :p

I'm in jamaica right now and 90% of the cars here are old corollas and nissan sentras. I've seen one Lada and a handful of American vehicles, but other than that it's all been old japanese cars.

I now officially have a drivers license.

\o/

I saw a Volvo P1800 today! I didn't get a chance to take a picture (unfortunately, I was on the bus and it was driving by sort of fast), but that was a neat car to see. It wasn't in immaculate condition, but I'd say it was in acceptably alright condition. It was sort of a darkish green color I think.

Also, congrats American TG Man! It's pretty exciting to get your license. :mrgreen:

While struggling to take apart my bike's carburetors Spectre suggested I buy an impact driver (the non electric kind). Croly Hap, this is now the most awesome tool I own. :p

While struggling to take apart my bike's carburetors Spectre suggested I buy an impact driver (the non electric kind). Croly Hap, this is now the most awesome tool I own. :p

Ah yes, the good old manual impact driver. I've got one which I just bought to remove the front cover on my GL. Worth every penny.

Yeah it's awesome. I thought I'd need to use a screw extractor the heads were so worn and mutalated (by me) but it took them off like a champ.

I actually like the Countryman, brand bastardization be dammed. Take that for what you will. :p

It is so funny to read that when it is on almost the same line as your title!

And congratulations, TGMan!
As a wise man once said, "You've taken your first step into a larger world."

Even worse, why they had to choose that model for rallying instead of regular Mini? Yeah I know: marketing. And engineering > marketing :p

IIRC it was because of the longer wheelbase.

Texas fires destroy one collector?s 175 classic cars

The good news for one Texas man near the massive wildfires is that his home was merely singed, and his family escaped uninjured. The bad news was what the fire took instead ? some 175 classic cars, including a Shelby Cobra and about a dozen Corvettes.

John Chapman, 70, was shuffling through the ash-covered remains of his collection spread through a garage and several pole barns shorty after the fire moved through, pushing burning embers off what had been left behind. Other vehicles lost included several mid-'50s Chevys, a 1947 Studebaker pickup and a 1966 Pontiac GTO.

"You can either laugh or you can cry," Chapman told the Houston Chronicle. "You might as well laugh."

http://jalopnik.com/5837816/

I've got a message for Spectre.

The Ford Ranger bed is NOT the same size as my flare side bed. I checked, and got specs online, they don't match up, mine's bigger, by a few inches but, nonetheless it's still bigger. It's pretty obvious the flares are dually's but so what?

I've got a message for Spectre.

The Ford Ranger bed is NOT the same size as my flare side bed. I checked, and got specs online, they don't match up, mine's bigger, by a few inches but, nonetheless it's still bigger. It's pretty obvious the flares are dually's but so what?

Actually, it is. I looked several years ago and the part numbers are the same - I suspect you were looking at the wrong year Ranger for comparison. Remember, the Ranger bed has changed several times.

For example, I know for a fact that an 80s Ranger tailgate will fit right up; my friend had a flareside not unlike yours and the reason we were looking all this information up was so we could find him a junkyard tailgate. The F-truck tailgates are gone within minutes of hitting the yards, but nobody wants the Ranger ones.

Last edited:
I've been seeing Nissan Jukes around town lately. I'd drive one, mind. Not probably buy one with my own money (my choice in that class would be the absolutely standard Dacia Duster in appliance white), but I'd scoot around town in one.

Regarding the Countryman:

I like it. Sure it's larger than the old Mini, larger than the new Mini and therefore not exactly "miniature," but when compared to other crossovers and SUVs it's down right tiny.

The Countryman would be an ideal car for here in Utah. The higher ground clearance gives it the height to tackle deeper snow and most graded dirt roads while still being smaller than a typical crossover. This makes the Countryman ideal for commuting year-round in mountainous states, as well as the ability to take it camping up fire roads, skiing, etc.

I think it's great that we finally have a compact AWD crossover with more ground clearance than a regular AWD car.

I will keep my eyes open for a parked Countryman so I can snag a comparison photo with it and my XTerra.

Last edited:
I think it's great that we finally have a compact AWD crossover with more ground clearance than a regular AWD car.

Somewhere in Japan, the marketing department of Suzuki is committing seppuku after realizing just how hard they failed in marketing the SX4.

Somewhere in Japan, the marketing department of Suzuki is committing seppuku after realizing just how hard they failed in marketing the SX4.

It's truly the car (one could argue Suzuki's whole car line beyond the Grand Vitara...barely) that nobody's heard of.