Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I recently test drove a FRS over what some of us like to call the Houston Road Simulator. Turns out it rides worse than my all up Ford comfort-was-not-a-consideration-when-we-designed-the-suspension-for-this-farm-truck F-350. Very harsh, very choppy. Unfortunately, looks like the thing in the US market is really a track toy unless you are very masochistic or have abnormally smooth pavement.
Harden the f*ck up! :p jk

I have a problem.

I'm trying to fit a roof top tent on the XTerra while maintaining access to the wet box, AND finding space for fuel storage. The problem is that there just isn't enough space; Tent, storage box access, fuel cans - pick two. Well, I don't like any of those combinations, I want all three, so I called my fabricator and may have just invented a new storage system where I can make all three happen. We have taken some preliminary measurements and it looks like there is actually room to spare.

I'm not going to post the details of the design until we (and by "we" I mean "the guy who actually knows how to weld") get a prototype knocked out and installed. The tent itself will probably be next year because a decent RTT starts at about $1,000, but the rack will hopefully happen sooner.

Or just young. Really, it isn't bad on reasonably maintained interstates and rural roads. Only bustass urban roads and the absolute worst of the interstates are truly problematic.

Also, my winter tires, which are on downsized 16" wheels decrease the level of spine-busting by at least 50%
I think on top of it being stiff it's the lack of weight, since it takes less force to move the body it bounces around a lot more. Z is relatively heavy (compared to Toyobaru at least) so it can absorb a lot more punishment. Then again it was something like 15 grand more than Toyobaru when new so it likely uses slightly nicer components :p

That isn't a problem with weight, but an improperly tuned suspension. If Toybaru didn't properly set up the geometry, springs, and dampners then you will get a very harsh ride regardless of weight. It may be that the car is oversprung and either the valving in the shocks is wrong or the oil viscosity is too thick (or both).

That isn't a problem with weight, but an improperly tuned suspension. If Toybaru didn't properly set up the geometry, springs, and dampners then you will get a very harsh ride regardless of weight. It may be that the car is oversprung and either the valving in the shocks is wrong or the oil viscosity is too thick (or both).

I think it might also be because the FRS was set up more for sideways fun since not absorbing roll will make the car step out easier.

Rental car roulette: 2014 jeep cherokee. Not a bad ride actually.

Going to give us a review?

From what I've seen of the little SUV, I'm not that impressed. Although I did have a guy with a Trailhawk say his was "better" than my XTerra, unfortunately, he declined to see his challenge through.

Part of the problem I have with these new SUVs is the reliance on technology. I'm old school, in that I want a basic mechanical system that is overbuilt for what it does and won't fail because of a broken sensor or frayed wire. The new Cherokee is a perfect example of this, the car itself has very limited articulation and is lightly built for off road use. Now, don't get me wrong, being light weight has advantages but not at the expense of toughness. The Cherokee depends entirely on a computer and a variety of sensors and automated power management systems to move power around. It's necessary to do this because the little thing can't keep it's wheels on the ground.

You can see from this video of the Cherokee on a proving course how little wheel travel there is. Now my XTerra would probably also tripod some of that, but I would keep my wheels on the ground longer. The advantage of the Jeep system is that the computer sorts it all out for you so you just have to drive, the down side is that this makes for a lazy driver who doesn't learn wheel placement or technique and relies on the computer to think for him. The problem I have found is that these computer systems work ok in most situations, however, they can be easily confused because they can only react to what the vehicle is doing. It takes a driver to plan and anticipate, getting the vehicle into the right position, on the right line, with the right settings and control inputs to get through many obstacles. Another problem with these heavily computerized systems is that they are set up for how the vehicle comes from the factory. Want to get more capability or go nuts with the mods? Well, you just confused the hell out of the critical computer systems and now they either don't work or freak out when you are turning into the grocery store. This is a problem I have with the XTerra, which by today's standards is a bare-bones SUV with minimal equipment. Really the only stuff I have on there is government mandated, airbags, pretensioners, ABS, and stability control (VDC for Nissans). The problem with the VDC is that there is no way to have it understand that the tire size is not 265/75/26 any more, I'm now running 285/75/16. It also doesn't understand that it is now taller than it used to be. This means the wheel speed sensors and roll sensor freak out and engage the stability control when it doesn't need to. This is an annoyance at best, and it can be disabled by hitting the VDC button on the dash.

The other problem with VDC is that it doesn't understand when it is in a situation where you want or need the tires to spin. My first lesson in this came when I got into some headlight-deep snow and was trying to keep my momentum up to climb back up to the plowed road. All the VDC knew is that I was in 4-High and that wheels were slipping; it did what it was supposed to do which was retard the throttle. The problem is that I was in deep snow and I needed to paddle my way out and keep my momentum up. The VDC actually cut power so much that the engine stalled. Fortunately I was able to shift to 4-low, engage the locker, disengage the VDC and rock myself out.

These systems are getting so complex that if they break in the bush you are completely screwed. Even the best home mechanic won't have the specialty tools and training to fix a broken computer system and you are then looking at thousands of dollars in recovery operations to get your vehicle back to a major city with a dealership.

But if you buy the Trailhawk for the fancy red tow hooks and because you might have to drive in a few inches of snow, the computer managed traction systems are your best friend.

/rant.

Im not joking it is the most bizarre thing... I thought they were joking but... it is really bizarre...

The new Jaguar XE made my X-Type somehow better just by how they are introducing this. It going to have to be a great car to survive this!

Last edited:
The other problem with VDC is that it doesn't understand when it is in a situation where you want or need the tires to spin. My first lesson in this came when I got into some headlight-deep snow and was trying to keep my momentum up to climb back up to the plowed road. All the VDC knew is that I was in 4-High and that wheels were slipping; it did what it was supposed to do which was retard the throttle. The problem is that I was in deep snow and I needed to paddle my way out and keep my momentum up. The VDC actually cut power so much that the engine stalled. Fortunately I was able to shift to 4-low, engage the locker, disengage the VDC and rock myself out.
There is a good example of it here
specifically the rally part, they talk about how it just cuts the power into nowhere despite being able to go sideways is actually helpful there.

Well damn, current owner of my old MR2 would rather drive it to California than sell it. Oh well, back to Craigslist.

Well damn, current owner of my old MR2 would rather drive it to California than sell it. Oh well, back to Craigslist.
That sucks. But to be honest, I can relate.

Damn.

I found some peeling clear coat on the roof of the XTerra next to the rear passenger side roof rack support.

Damn.

I found some peeling clear coat on the roof of the XTerra next to the rear passenger side roof rack support.

clear bra that bitch!

So I been considering getting rid of my Z, love the car but die to some love changes I have a feeling it will be sitting in the parking lot doing nothing, as it is I barely drive it :(. Been contemplating trading it in for a G35x, won't be as fun and no 3rd pedal and will be mainly wife's car anyways (she actually drives to work). To that end anything to watch out for? I know they are pretty reliable but having an auto scares me, I'd be looking at the 2008 model because HR engine!

Last edited:
Man, people at Miata.net are humorless dolts.

Man, people at Miata.net are humorless dolts.

You can say that about any forum dedicated to a specific car or brand.

You can say that about any forum dedicated to a specific car or brand.
I joined the Australian 4WD Hilux club on Facebook, now there's a bunch of mouth breathers who never learned the purpose of punctuation. Honestly, every post and comment is an incoherent ramble and if there's a full stop in it anywhere, it's somewhere it shouldn't be.

They typical post is:

"i got me some 33" muddys for me lux dont fit fucken pissed off"

Then they abuse anyone who tells them how to make them fit...