Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Shopping for vehicles is fun.

i hate it :)
whatever you choose, there's always a better choice, or some reason why should've gotten the other option
and it always costs more than you're willing to pay...

i hate it :)
whatever you choose, there's always a better choice, or some reason why should've gotten the other option
and it always costs more than you're willing to pay...

I don't know about that, many of my purchases including my current 4Runner didn't have a better choice available, didn't have a better option pack available and cost less than I was willing to pay...

Internet knowledge can be useful, sometimes.

I want to sell my 3-rail for something with a ramp. The X can only tow 5,000 stock, with my tires and off road weight bolted on, probably a lot less. We are going to have 4 bikes in the garage soon, but without a 20' flatbed trailer and a V8, I'm not going to be able to haul all of them at once anyway.

Right now, I'm thinking about a 2-bike flatbed/utility trailer with a ramp that will hold at least the ST1300 plus one other bike or three skinny bikes. I'd like to go aluminum to save weight, but I don't want to double the cost.

I want to sell my 3-rail for something with a ramp. The X can only tow 5,000 stock, with my tires and off road weight bolted on, probably a lot less. We are going to have 4 bikes in the garage soon, but without a 20' flatbed trailer and a V8, I'm not going to be able to haul all of them at once anyway.

Right now, I'm thinking about a 2-bike flatbed/utility trailer with a ramp that will hold at least the ST1300 plus one other bike or three skinny bikes. I'd like to go aluminum to save weight, but I don't want to double the cost.

Then get what CrazyJeeper used to have, the three bike trailer with a ramp. :p I know you've seen that one. I used a Ford Exploder to tow it once to go pick up an axle for Thomas' Caddy and the Exploder had less power than you do.

Have you looked at these? https://towsmarttrailers.com/products/motorcycle-trailer-california Not necessarily that specific one, but there's a whole class of those trailers and they're not entirely outrageous.

I have a 3-rail now, I want to get something that does double duty as a utility trailer.

I bought a 16' car hauler in case y'all were wondering.

[picture redacted for quality assurance]

Sweet! I've been thinking of fixing up the wagon, installing a 5,000lbs trailer hitch because it's rated for that and hitching trailer to get the golf and wagon down to Harris Hill and do a couple runs. :D Of course there'd be a stop at a certain drag race track to see if Lucille is faster than my 80s box.

Problem is money, I want to replace all rubber bushings on the wagon because I'm so annoyed by the slight shake/wobble you get with old cars. As far as I can tell, nothing is out of alignment. This shake/wobble went away a little when I replaced the rear coil spring rubber bushings so my hope is that doing body mounts and other front suspension pieces eliminates it.

I would have a shop do the bushings because I can't find a full bushing kit for a wagon, only sedan panther cars which leads me to believe I'd be short by two for the rear frame-body mounting points or have something softer meant for sedan cars and not what is basically a truck. My worry is also finding a 5,000lbs hitch because once the panther platform was updated with crumple zones in the frame, the tow rating was reduced in 2003 which made the entire panther line show up in systems as only able to do 3,500lbs.

Drums need to be completely redone which is fine. I now have tools to get the springs in place and I understand how it all goes together. I can totally do that because right now, the drums are adjusted in such a way that you have to release tension to get the drums off. if you try and pull them off right now, the shoes will fold in and come off the mounting with the springs. Not that I would know. :D

Avoid a long expanded metal tailgate if possible. They are nothing but a sail you have to drag behind you.

If I could build my own trailer, I would have the ramp slide underneath, the small lip at the top would be easy enough to get a bike over. Unfortunately, that would add a lot of expense and weight. The trailer will mostly be used to drive the 40 minutes to the local track and back, so a fold-down ramp should not be too bad. If need be, I can always cut a section out and shorten it.

That reminds me that I need to replace the mangled 7 pin trailering socket the original owner had installed on my truck. And do wiring repairs related to it.

If I could build my own trailer, I would have the ramp slide underneath, the small lip at the top would be easy enough to get a bike over. Unfortunately, that would add a lot of expense and weight. The trailer will mostly be used to drive the 40 minutes to the local track and back, so a fold-down ramp should not be too bad. If need be, I can always cut a section out and shorten it.

You could always take the tailgate off and use aluminum ramps or have a local shop modify the trailer to use the ramps like you are wanting.

The whole point is to not have to haul a ramp around separately; I want to just drop a ramp or slide it out, wheel the bike up onto a solid deck with a chock, be able to walk around it while strapping it down, stow the ramp and drive off. My 3 rail is a PITA right now since I ripped off the rotting decking, plus the rust on it is horrible and the vertical sides of the rails are bent outward making it nearly impossible to re-deck it.

The whole point is to not have to haul a ramp around separately; I want to just drop a ramp or slide it out, wheel the bike up onto a solid deck with a chock, be able to walk around it while strapping it down, stow the ramp and drive off. My 3 rail is a PITA right now since I ripped off the rotting decking, plus the rust on it is horrible and the vertical sides of the rails are bent outward making it nearly impossible to re-deck it.

Yup, I understand. I had to re-deck my little 6x12 utility trailer last year. The rust wasn't too bad, so I just slapped the new boards down and went with it.

Sounds like this is what you are looking for: https://www.hhtrailer.com/product/aluminum-rail-side-utility/

It doesn't have the slide out ramps, but the bi-fold tailgate gets it down where it's less of a sail.