Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Last edited:
In that town, I'd bet my left nut that it's a Cavalier.

You seem to think that cars like that are 1) actually available here and 2) for those sort of prices. Seems you didn't do your homework. ;)

Here are the sort of cars generally available here:
https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/11/10/craigs.PNG

That's what eBay and national Craigslist searches are for. I bought my XJ6 out of California, for example. $800 for the car, $800 for DAS to deliver it to me. $1600 total, and I'm pretty sure it's a better car than your Pontiac. :D

Likewise my previous X300 - got that one off of Craigslist in California for cheap. Even including shipping charges, it was cheap. :D

I'm pretty sure I did my homework.... you need to suck it up and admit you didn't. :lol:

Last edited:
I would never buy a car out of California. Too much crap going on with those ones.

There once was a time that a "California Car" was highly sought after because of the dry air (especially in LA) and the strong car culture there. Now it just means that the car is loaded down with an extra 100 lb of power-robbing smog controls.

And no engine block heater, which is standard equipment on all new cars sold here.

Neither one of which is difficult to remedy. :D

Also, later cars, especially imports, often are 50 state models - so there's no difference in smog equipment anyway.

As for a block heater, let's see.... ~$5000 XJR (linked above) plus $500 for a block heater (which that one may have anyway)..... versus how much did you pay for the Ponticrap? :D

Last edited:
Why should I have to spend hundreds extra buying and getting a block heater installed when I could get a car from an area where it would already have one? I won't even get into the smog crap save for the fact that we need none of it here. Stop trying to defend Commufornia cars. :lol:

Who's trying to defend them? I'm simply pointing out that you could buy a car from other parts of the country that may not be available in your local area and have it shipped in while still saving a lot of money.

Speaking of which, guess what I just found over the border from you in Utah?

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ctd/1452927494.html

Last edited:
MuhlA_120.jpg

Still think the same way?

YES

Who's trying to defend them? I'm simply pointing out that you could buy a car from other parts of the country that may not be available in your local area and have it shipped in while still saving a lot of money.

Speaking of which, guess what I just found over the border from you in Utah?

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ctd/1452927494.html

Just over the border is 410 miles away. :lol:

Also, my Ponticrap cost me $6250 two years ago, from a dealer after they installed new brake pads all around, a complete new shifter assembly, new ignition switch, new window motor, and new Potenza tires all around. Back then it was a good deal as the car booked at $6500 or so.

Not my problem. I'm just poking holes in your theory that you can't find a better car in the area. After all, I've driven longer distances than that to get a car I wanted.

Found a '92 W201 2.0 with 180k kms on board, aibag, aircon, power steering, metallic paint. Price: a negotiable 3200 euros. It in town and I'm thinking of going to see it.

16430780002.jpg

16430780006.jpg

16430780004.jpg

16430780005.jpg

410 miles =/= my area. Poke holes in it all you want, but for reference "my area" will be within 50 miles.

That said, I'm not driving 410 miles to check out a car that will end up needing more little fixes than my Mustang. You of all people should know one of those cars will not come problem free unless it's freshly from either yourself or a competent dealer.

Eh, one with a good service history can be problem free. The X305 my father bought came from a private seller, but it came with a full service history. Only thing wrong with it at the time was the paint coming off on the back, easily fixed.

My girlfriend is looking at buying a 1978 Toyota Cressida.

Maybe it's old news, but I just found out that Peter Brock was a. . .

VEGAN

What the FUCK!
(Don't click the Spoiler if you're an Aussie)

Maybe it's old news, but I just found out that Peter Brock was a. . .
ANDREW DENTON: But, correct me if I'm wrong, vegans won't eat anything that's an animal product?

PETER BROCK: But I do. So I'm not totally vegan. I eat eggs and stuff like that. I eat eggs. I'm sorry out there, all you vegans...

ANDREW DENTON: God, you're gonna get so much mail now.

PETER BROCK: So I'm not strictly vegan but I'm pretty close to it.

ANDREW DENTON: OK, 'cause, you know, my father always theorised that tofu actually comes from toe jam.

PETER BROCK: Yeah. And, do you know, I'm saying your father was pretty close to the mark.

ANDREW DENTON: Is that right?

PETER BROCK: It's pretty crook stuff, I can tell you.

My girlfriend is looking at buying a 1978 Toyota Cressida.

Strange.... but there are lots worse cars you could get from that time period, and Toyota's partsbinning means that you should be able to get parts for it.