Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Permanent price reductions are more lasting than discounts. I was mostly noting that Porsche is getting cheaper all around all over, and it's widespread.

After a week and a half of pootling around in my parents' cars, it feels SO good to get back in my MR2, shift my own gears, and have a car that actually tells me what it's doing. If anyone's wondering, the 2006+ Volvo C70 has very numb steering, drives like the heavy whale its curb weight says it is, and gets only a mild kick from the turbo. The best parts are that weirdly musical 5-cylinder noise and the fact that it's a 4-seat hardtop convertible with real room in the back for (Asian, at least) adults. Cruising car only.

After a week and a half of pootling around in my parents' cars, it feels SO good to get back in my MR2, shift my own gears, and have a car that actually tells me what it's doing. If anyone's wondering, the 2006+ Volvo C70 has very numb steering, drives like the heavy whale its curb weight says it is, and gets only a mild kick from the turbo. The best parts are that weirdly musical 5-cylinder noise and the fact that it's a 4-seat hardtop convertible with real room in the back for (Asian, at least) adults. Cruising car only.

You can imagine what it is like after I borrow my Dad's Roadmaster for a couple days. :p

thats the cheapest way to make you feel like you got a new car. its like when i drive my truck all winter and get used to it. then when i brake out the Charger in the spring it feels like a rocket ship.

thats the cheapest way to make you feel like you got a new car. its like when i drive my truck all winter and get used to it. then when i brake out the Charger in the spring it feels like a rocket ship.

very very true

after driving my wife's car for a few days I'm always surprised when I get back in my car "so THAT's why the other car feels so slow"

On one occasion last year, I borrowed my sister's 2000 Suzuki Vitara for a couple of week (she didn't yet have her license). When I got my car back, I screeched to a stop just pulling out of the driveway... I would say it was the worst car I've ever driven, but my dad's Wrangler takes that award.

thing is, when i sit down in my dad's audi it's like the opposite. i suddenly have this feeling of connectedness to the road, despite having a slushbox to deal with. yes i have steering feel and a relatively good gearbox in my car, but the suspension and brakes in his A8 are just bar none. especially the brakes.

I love how people are "frustrated" by in car technology, and use the same flawed idea:

"Why don't they just have a dock for my phone or iPad in there?" "That's all I neeed...."

WTF!!?!?

What they fail to realize is that I'm pretty sure a gaping hole in the dash will look like crap, shoving an iPad in the center stack will stick out like a sore thumb and it'll look pretty unfinished.

Not to mention the fact that replacing buttons and knobs entirely with a touchscreen seems so full of fail. CR took MyFord Touch to task not only because of the laggy touchscreen but those dammed capacitive buttons and sliders below that. EX: Why a capacative hazard button?!? Why is that necessary, what was wrong with a conventional hard button? Many reviews say that they manage to hit the hazard button in the Edge with MyFord Touch wayy too often while adjusting things on the touchscreen.

Give me buttons and knobs anyday.

/grr getoffmahlawn rant

That's just terrible.

HEY ALL YOU DRUG DEALERS OUT THERE!!! WE HAVE THE PERFECT NEW RIMS TO FIT YOUR HUMMERS AND DONKED CADDYS!!!!!!1one

Anyone who buys that is stoned outta his mind. Seriously, $4,450 for those please take me to jail wheels?

That's just terrible.

HEY ALL YOU DRUG DEALERS OUT THERE!!! WE HAVE THE PERFECT NEW RIMS TO FIT YOUR HUMMERS AND DONKED CADDYS!!!!!!1one

Red Green in da hood?