Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

This may be the right place to ask so, is there any documentary on Renault's RS road cars?

Well shannons nationals has been and gone and i've learned alot:
1. Fire extingishers are heavy, so if your going to park your car inbetween flag points, it will take at least 30 seconds for a fit marshall to get to your car. Most marshalls are not fit. Do not stop your on fire car there.
2. Drivers who can pay fines in cash are too damned rich
3. National level drivers need to realise when they are better off accepting the first penalty if they don't like having $5000 added to there 28 second penalty

read on twitter

Renault boss Eric Lux said he has decided to file a "criminal compalint for physical assault and grevous bodiy hard against Adrian Sutil"

can't he just hit him in the nuts for revenge?

EDIT: more on F1Fanatic

Eric Lux has confirmed he will pursue a criminal case against Adrian Sutil following an incident in a club in Shanghai.

Lux, the chief executive of Genii Capital which owns the Renault F1 team, issued the following statement through Swiss legal firm Lalive:

?In the view of the recent events which occurred in Shanghai on April 17th, Mr Eric Lux has decided to file a criminal complaint against Mr Adrian Sutil for physical assault and grievous bodily harm.

?As soon as the complaint is registered, the Federation Internationale de l?Automobile (FIA) and the team Force India will be notified.

?Furthermore, please note that Mr Eric Lux does not exclude commencing an action against any other persons involved in this matter.?

Sutil made a statement on Thursday apologising for the incident, in which Lux is reported to have suffered a cut to his neck.

they're making me curious as to what actually happened <_<

Last edited:
Champagne flute to the neck...

http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/2011/201105/110520a.html

Mazda 787B 1991 Winning Car Returns to Le Mans After 20 Years

- The Mazda 787B's incredible 4-rotor engine noise will be heard again around the Circuit de la Sarthe on June 11, before the 24-hour race begins -
HIROSHIMA, Japan?2011 marks the 20th anniversary of Mazda's victory in the world's most demanding endurance race, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In 1991, Mazda became the first and only Japanese car manufacturer to win the race. In celebration of this anniversary, and at the invitation of the event organizers, the Automobile Club de L'Ouest (ACO), Mazda will demonstrate the winning Mazda 787B on the Circuit de la Sarthe in Le Mans, France on Saturday, June 11, 2011, before the 24-hour race begins.

The 79th 24-Hours of Le Mans is scheduled to start at 3 p.m. (local time) on Saturday, June 11, 2011, and finish at the same time on the following day. Mazda plans to hold the demonstration of the 787B racecar on the Circuit de la Sarthe at 12:30 p.m. on June 11. Additionally, the 787B will also take part in the Driver's Parade through the Le Mans city center on Friday June 10.

The Mazda 787B has been specially restored and tested in preparation for the demonstration at Le Mans

The Mazda 787B is the first and only Japanese car, and rotary-engine car, to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Jointly developed by Mazda and Mazdaspeed, the organization that managed Mazda's racing program, the 787B has a chassis designed to meet Group C racing car technical regulations and is powered by a four-rotor rotary engine that produces 700 horsepower. Due to a change in the race regulations, 1991 was to become the last year that a rotary-engine car could participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. At the last chance, after 17 years of effort, Mazda finally realized its long-held dream to take the overall victory at Le Mans. This victory was not Mazda's alone, but the result of long years of hard work by Mazdaspeed, the drivers, suppliers and the many others involved.

Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's representative director, chairman of the board, president and CEO, said, "Mazda is founded on a desire to 'never stop challenging.' This spirit brings Mazda Group employees together across the globe, and it inspires us to achieve the demanding goals we set ourselves. Exactly 50 years ago, in 1961, Mazda commenced development of the rotary engine. The road from this beginning until our 1991 victory at Le Mans, and on to our current SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY development program, is built upon our spirit of challenge. 2011 is set to be another landmark year for the entire Mazda Group, as we enter our SKYACTIV era with the global introduction of our next-generation vehicles."

Since 1991, the winning Mazda 787B has mostly been on display at the Mazda Museum in Hiroshima, Japan. In preparation for the demonstration at Le Mans, Mazda has carefully restored the winning 787B racecar back to driving condition for the first time since its post-race overhaul in 1991. The work was carried out by current Mazda employees who participated in the company's original Le Mans Challenge Project, along with engineers from Mazda's subsidiary engineering company Mazda E&T. The restored 787B has been tested by one of Mazda's in-house top gun drivers, and its performance has been confirmed by former Mazda factory drivers Yoshimi Katayama, Takashi Yorino and Yojiro Terada at Mazda's Mine Proving Ground in western Japan.

As part of the 20th anniversary celebrations, various members of the 1991 Mazda team will also return to Le Mans. The winning driver Johnny Herbert (England) will be joined by 1991 Mazda drivers David Kennedy (Ireland), Pierre Dieudonn? (Belgium) and other team members.

Video footage and photographs of the restoration work and the demonstration at Le Mans will be uploaded on Mazda's official Facebook and YouTube web pages.

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

YES indeed! Can't wait to hear it. I'll be going to the race, so I'll be able to experience it in the flesh. Maybe it's the last thing I hear, but I don't care.

Finnish tabloid says Toyota will return to WRC! Testing is already underway.

Finnish tabloid says Toyota will return to WRC! Testing is already underway.

Which tabloid? And do you have any more details? And if you do, maybe carry this on in the dedicated WRC topic...

edit: Also, since I seem to have faield at posting last night, thanks for posting that Audi clip, Bone. It's awesome!

Gutted for J.R., it weird seeing a guy you went to high school with lose something that big.
[video=youtube;4EGq_yKp2-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EGq_yKp2-A&feature=feedu[/video]

That was one of the most insane finishes I've ever watched live. It was such a shame for JR, you could see that coming as soon as he came out of Turn 3 with Kimball in front of him. I was so hoping that he could floor it and haul that wreck over the line before anyone managed to pass him but no such luck...

That said, it was awesome to see Wheldon win it, considering how hard time he has had over the last few years.

bertrand baguette (belgian) finished 7th!! that's the best finish for a belgian since....1914 :lmao:

EDIT: the isle of Man TT is underwat atm. anyone who is following? anyone who knows where to get a summary?

Last edited:
bertrand baguette (belgian) finished 7th!! that's the best finish for a belgian since....1914 :lmao:

Had someone crashed with 7-8 laps to go and brought out a yellow, he may have even won the damn thing. ;)

In any case, the motorsport chat rooms were bursting with bread puns when he was leading the race. :lol:

Last edited:
I could not believe someone like M?cke would do something like that. I will give him benefit of the doubt and guess that it was anger induced stupidity rather than actual malicious intent but it was bloody stupid nevertheless.

Stewards of the meeting have reported him to the German motorsport authority with the recommendation that they remove his license. The car is also penalized 10 grid slots at the next meeting.

OK, it was a stupid move but revoking one's racing license would be quite harsh.

In a completely unrelated matter, I watched highlights of the Isle Of Man TT Sidecar race last night and there's just two words I can say about that whole event; Absolute madness. Watching bikes on the circuit is one thing but those big sidecars with the passenger jumping to one side and the other at 130+mph...

OKm I'll add one more word: Awesome! :D

What a completely idiotic thing to do?!?!?!? Although why on earth was the GT-R going so slowly? Puncture?

If he wanted to express his displeasure, give him a light nudge. Based on that I would certainly ban him from a couple of races. It's just not on to have racing drivers using cars as weapons.