Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Austin straight up banned Uber/Lyft :(

Taxi drivers kicked up a huge fuss where I live now (Buenos Aires, Argentina) about Uber. In the meantime, there have been uber-like cars called "remis", french for Delivery, which I'm sure started as couriers of sorts but have been transporting passengers for a very long time, not needing professional licenses or special cars, and I very much doubt they pay their dues as far as taxes goes. So I don't know what they have against Uber.

Hillary Clinton is making fools out of feminists

There's a sucker born every minute, goes the old saying, and several hundred of them gathered at Wellesley College last Thursday to cheer Hillary Clinton as she rehashed, complained about and justified her electoral loss by saying in different ways over and over that she is simply too good for this world. Seriously, just how addled does one have to be to take this nepot and parasite as an inspiration for women, and as a model of how one should build her career?

To follow Clinton's career path, one has to first attack then-Sen. Edward Brooke, R-Mass., at your graduation from Wellesley. Second, proceed to Yale Law School to meet and marry a skilled politician. Third, follow him home to suppress bimbo eruptions and otherwise serve as first lady of Arkansas. And fourth, wait for the day he's elected as president, so that you are first lady for real.

Having done that, one can start at the top, being given control of his healthcare reform plan, which you run into the ground 18 months later, just in time for a staggering wipeout in Congress in which he loses the Senate and House. And how does one manage to get this much power? One lies on "60 Minutes" on the eve of the New Hampshire primary about a woman in Arkansas who claimed that she and one's husband had had an affair.

If you had any doubts as to how she got to run healthcare, Carl Bernstein explains it to you on page 218 of A Woman In Charge, the book that he wrote about Hillary. "He was president in no small measure because she stood by him in the Gennifer Flowers mess," he quotes Bill's aide as saying. "He had to pay her back. This is what she wanted, and he couldn't figure out how not to give it to her. And so he hoped for the best." What he got was the worst, while Hillary built her career on trying to discount what Paula Jones and Juanita Broaddrick had accused Bill of doing, while joining Anita Hill and others in running against Clarence Thomas, for what Hillary had claimed that he said.

Having gotten so much because Bill misbehaved with one woman, Hillary got even more five years later, when it turned out he misbehaved with three more: In the course of a suit brought by Paula Jones (who charged that Bill asked her to "kiss it" in a hotel room in Little Rock), it came out that he had an affair with a 24-year-old intern, and had also molested an aide in the White House on the day that her husband had died.

As this broke new ground on the Richter scale of spouse mortification, the public was happy enough to allow her to run for the Senate ? from New York, a state that she had never lived in ? in order to start life anew. Hillary, who got one big job by covering up for her husband's philandering, got another because he had strayed once again (and been impeached in the process), while the three jobs she held that required executive competence ? healthcare reform and her two runs for president ? could be studied in as examples of cosmic mismanagement.

So, of course, she is now the ideal of millions of women, who swear she's the soul of self-made girl power, who would in due course have made a great president ? if only men had given her a chance.

Taxi drivers kicked up a huge fuss where I live now (Buenos Aires, Argentina) about Uber. In the meantime, there have been uber-like cars called "remis", french for Delivery, which I'm sure started as couriers of sorts but have been transporting passengers for a very long time, not needing professional licenses or special cars, and I very much doubt they pay their dues as far as taxes goes. So I don't know what they have against Uber.

Just the big name I guess? It's a bit simpler in NYC we always had "car service" here, which is basically flat rate taxis that don't pick up at the curb (have to call and order). So if you wanna drive for Uber you just get the same type of license (called TLC), special plates for your car and you have to abide by all the same hire car rules as anyone else.

Fuck supporting another welfare state with crumbling infrastructure and crippling debt.

Trade you Kansas for PR. Better vacations in the Caribbean.

And? Am I supposed to care what they think?

It's provided as a curiosity. Despite being the more explicitly supporting party, the Republicans will now be the party to ignore PR statehood referendums in 1.5 chambers to the Democrats' 0.5.

Trade you Kansas for PR. Better vacations in the Caribbean.
Funnily enough they might be better off independent for that reason. Why would anyone go to PR and pay real dollars for everything when DR is like right there and, thanks to exchange rate, is a crap ton cheaper?

Suggesting that we already have "bad" states so what's one more, is a logical fallacy.

PR isn't asking for independence, they are asking for equal representation that 99% of other US citizens who live on US soil* enjoy. It is completely irrelevant what their financial situation is, they are actual US citizens and PR is actual US soil.

*Yes there are other territories in the US with even more tenuous connections to the government, that's also stupid.

But PR is not a state, which means that there are benefits that they do not get. I say grand them their independence so you and I don't have to rebuild the entire island.

That's the point they should be a state. By that logic we should drop like 70% of the south

Funnily enough they might be better off independent for that reason. Why would anyone go to PR and pay real dollars for everything when DR is like right there and, thanks to exchange rate, is a crap ton cheaper?

Don't need a passport to go to Puerto Rico. But it seems you're suggesting (and would likely be true) an independent PR's economy would depress enough to make it competitive with the DR. Great for vacationers, not so great for the people living there.

Suggesting that we already have "bad" states so what's one more, is a logical fallacy.

'Bad' is a moving target. Kansas used to be worthwhile not that long ago. PR might not be bad in the future. Although when they're doing well is when the population goes back to being ambivalent about statehood, merely extending the problem.

But PR is not a state, which means that there are benefits that they do not get. I say grand them their independence so you and I don't have to rebuild the entire island.

They're US citizens. We cannot cast them off. If you suggest to strip them of that and force their independence against their will, I'll suggest you get deported back to Russia.

Yeah, more evidence that the island is a shithole. Why would I want to support it?

I don't take movement to automatically mean a state is shit, else Florida would be the best state for all the people moving there.

They're US citizens. We cannot cast them off. If you suggest to strip them of that and force their independence against their will, I'll suggest you get deported back to Russia.
:lol: Except that I'm a benefit to society and the economy.

Don't need a passport to go to Puerto Rico. But it seems you're suggesting (and would likely be true) an independent PR's economy would depress enough to make it competitive with the DR. Great for vacationers, not so great for the people living there.
Don't need one to go to Florida either and you can drive to FL have to fly to PR. That is exactly what I am suggesting, they are screwed already they might be relatively better off with cheaper currency but more foreign investment influx.

'Bad' is a moving target. Kansas used to be worthwhile not that long ago. PR might not be bad in the future. Although when they're doing well is when the population goes back to being ambivalent about statehood, merely extending the problem.
That's a good point.
I don't take movement to automatically mean a state is shit, else Florida would be the best state for all the people moving there.
IDK something like a million people GTFO'ed from NYC in the past few years, clearly it's a lost cause just drop it in the bay ;)

- - - Updated - - -

:lol: Except that I'm a benefit to society and the economy.

As a resident of Boston you are a detriment to the world at large :p