Random Thoughts....

Before: Dented right down to the mainplate inside the movement, damaging pretty much everything on the way inside.

During: movement all cleaned up, damaged parts reformed to proper shape. Timed out quite nicely considering, runs a few seconds a day slow in certain positions, could be fixed with further tweaking but it was unnecessary.

After: Case refinished, scratches mostly removed and polished, new crystal installed, new band because the old one was stretched and worn beyond feasible repair.

I was very pleased with the outcome. Pity it isn't mine, I think I'd be able to live with it. :lol:
Going to do the same with Dad's vintage Rolex (1950s not an Oyster) - pics will follow when I can sort it out.

I think Glacier National Park is the most spectacular in the U.S. Then Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and Grand Tetons. Yellowstone has better locations like the hot springs, geysers etc., but the topography isn't as impressive.
I was a bit underwhelmed by the Grand Canyon, to be honest. It's big. It's vast. But somehow it's not as spectacular as, say, Monument Valley.
Maybe you could become a gynaecologist.
:drums:

I have been rethinking careers, and I wonder if watch making could be one. I have excellent nearsightedness, I am mechanically inclined with deft fingers and hands that are both small and slender.

Sight isn't much of an issue, just about all work is done under a loupe at a distance in focus with the eyes relaxed. It's good to be mechanically inclined, but most importantly you need very fine motor control in your hands and lots of patience: you need to be able to sit in one place for an hour moving your fingertips on the scale of millimeters without stabbing and marking up everything with the tweezers.

Going to do the same with Dad's vintage Rolex (1950s not an Oyster) - pics will follow when I can sort it out.

If you're going to do the case then good luck, I can't advise that you do any work on the movement though unless you actually know what you're doing. It's ridiculously easy to do something wrong and make it worse or cause some substantial damage to the movement.

Looking to tat up my Miata with stickers for maximum horsepower gains. Say, what happened to this design, anyway? I'd love this in a 3x3" window cling.

510d1250491102-fg_logo-shift.png

Anyone got an vector EPS of it? I might just print one for myself, if Quiky is too busy.
We will be making vinyls of them sometime soon.

Shitty weather is shitty and wet and disgusting and I have to go run errands in it pretty soon. :-(

On a better note, not having to get up until 8am feels weird...a good kind of weird. Still not out of the habit a waking up at 6:30am, however I'm sure I'll get into 'holiday mode' pretty quickly.

That's me nephew going back home to Oldham on Monday. It's gonna be so quiet without him around. :(

Ah well I at least hope they can all come up this next month for me mam an' dads Silver Wedding Anniversary. XD Me entire family, pissed as farts Jesus Christ just thinking about that sounds both dangerous an' funny at the same time...

With this all my family but me now has an FB account.

...that's kinda sad

Stay strong, resist the herd :D

I was very pleased with the outcome. Pity it isn't mine, I think I'd be able to live with it. :lol:

Seamaster Deville? I know I've been looking to get one of those as a rare dress watch. How much would one go for?

Seamaster Deville? I know I've been looking to get one of those as a rare dress watch. How much would one go for?

Probably anywhere from $300 for a stainless model on a leather strap up to about $2500 for a minty sold gold one with a nice metal band. $4-600 seems to be about what the average ones are selling for, quick ebay search shows them having gone for about $250-900 recently. You'll probably also need a service on top of that cost, though.

that's actually a good question, how much would nabster charge us fg peeps to fix our watches?

Depends on the watch and what it needs. Industry standard is usually keystone markup on parts cost, generally service cost is a set rate depending on the movement type although it's becoming more common to charge hourly, and that varies greatly based on who does the work and where they are. Average service costs seem to be around $200 for an auto, less for a manual wind and more for chronos; fancy brand name watches get fancy higher prices too. Personally I have yet to settle on a final cost formula, I'm still tweaking the one I've come up with, but yes I'd say I could probably do some sort of discount for FG friends should the need arise. That said I'm not really fully equipped to do full services on watches on my own yet, I don't have a proper cleaning machine so I've been doing everything in class between other work :lol:

I like eggs.

Merry Fourth ya'll...
[video=youtube;sWS-FoXbjVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI[/video]

My Seiko chronograph needs its crystal glass replaced and the mechanism looked at. The second dial has moved 1 second forward in its neutral position.

why the crystal glass needs replacement, its not scratch resistant?