Hammond: Richard to host new tv show for BBC America

I really don't understand why the BBC throws so much air-time at Hammond. Clarkson is the real glue that holds the entire Top Gear project together.

Clarkson said:
Because Richard Hammond is, as we all know, a secret American

Last edited:
I just hope they get to film something in New England for once.

Actually, now that I think about it, and I probably will be negrepped to hell for this (not that I care for popularity contests), both TG as 5thgear have the wrong presenter:

Jonny is genuine, he has a different angle on things compared to the others, has his own set of values (the fact that he drove that chip fat Merc for 2 years after the show says enough) and he has an opinion. He would mesh much better with May and Clarkson than Hammond does. On the other hand 5thgear is all about numbers, performance and slightly annoying presenters who giggle too much, so Hammond fits right in!

I realise ofcourse that both Jonny as Hammond were introduced to bring some balance by being the exact opposite of the rest, but personally I don't care for that sort of artificial interfering and "character management". I bet that May, Clarkson and Smith brought together would make a stonking good show, all 3 bringing their own values and views.

Last edited:
Spot on, I couldn't have said it better myself.

It comes down to believing that the presenter has an understanding of and genuine interest in his show content. Hammond doing "serious stuff" just keeps reminding me of an episode of Friends (sorry to those too young to get the reference) where Joey gets an encyclopedia and quotes random things to sound intelligent.

In my opinion, the Hamster is simply not credible enough to present these science shows. It doesn't work for me. I just don't buy that he really grasps, or has remote interest in things like the working of the universe (I think that was in Invisible Worlds...which I couldn't force myself to suffer through til the end) It does seem like it's all just for the paycheque. And to broaden future opportunities.

In the end, James May hosts shows like "James May on the Moon", doing a DAMN good job. Hammond would seem better off to stick with big red balls in Total Wipeout.

I agree with this, but to put a more positive spin on it, I actually think Hammond is an excellent Light Entertainment presenter. I also don't think he has the chops to present science and engineering shows, but his science show for kids has been very well received, and he was a good host for the kid/youth oriented Brainiac. He does have talent as a presenter, but it's not channelled into the right projects - I sense a bit of "anything they can do...", "they" being May and Clarkson.

Good luck to him - he might find his niche in America!

For all those who say Hammond is the weak link, and to remove him from TG. I suspect what makes TG the success it is, is in fact the chemistry between the 3 of them. Remove one from the equation and you change the whole dynamic, hence the show becomes a different thing.
Have any of you seen a TG minus Hammond? I have. TG Live in Austalia and while I enjoyed it, it did seem to lack energy. Certainly with Shane Jacobson there, as good as it was, it was a very different atmospher. Just not the same.

Oh and for those who say Hammond is too lightweight - are you forgetting Hammond Meets Moss? That was anything but lightweight.

Last edited:
I agree with this, but to put a more positive spin on it, I actually think Hammond is an excellent Light Entertainment presenter. I also don't think he has the chops to present science and engineering shows, but his science show for kids has been very well received, and he was a good host for the kid/youth oriented Brainiac. He does have talent as a presenter, but it's not channelled into the right projects - I sense a bit of "anything they can do...", "they" being May and Clarkson.

Good luck to him - he might find his niche in America!

You must be joking, surely... Richard was presenting science (Brainiac) investigative journalism, (Should I worry About...), documentaries (the Gunpowder Plot, Bloody Omaha), all very effectively and on prime time TV whilst James was still 'the other bloke from TG' and nobody cared two hoots about him other than think he was a bit strange and possibly gay. To infer that Richard is chasing James and Jeremy's coat-tails is ridiculous.

You must be joking, surely... Richard was presenting science (Brainiac) investigative journalism, (Should I worry About...), documentaries (the Gunpowder Plot, Bloody Omaha), all very effectively and on prime time TV whilst James was still 'the other bloke from TG' and nobody cared two hoots about him other than think he was a bit strange and possibly gay. To infer that Richard is chasing James and Jeremy's coat-tails is ridiculous.

Oh well. That'll teach me for trying to be positive, won't it.

And I stand by my opinion.

For all those who say Hammond is the weak link, and to remove him from TG. I suspect what makes TG the success it is, is in fact the chemistry between the 3 of them. Remove one from the equation and you change the whole dynamic, hence the show becomes a different thing.

This is why I constantly say "all three or a different three" when that comes up. Get rid of one, IMO, you need to get rid of the other two and start over.

Exactly, and Richard has continued to prove his (IMO) versatility. And to be perfectly blunt, I think the reason some of you can't believe Richard can pull off more serious projects is because you don't want to believe he can, and prefer to typecast him in the more lightweight stuff.

Oh well. That'll teach me for trying to be positive, won't it.

And I stand by my opinion.

It was only your final comment I took umbrage with and as you say you are entitled to your opinion.

The rest I agree with to some extent except for the fact that I believe its Richard's versatility that makes him so valuable to the BBC. You cannot have 4 vastly different projects (TG, Blast Lab, TW & EC) constantly renewed and on the go for 3-4 years as well as doing other stuff like the live Sports Relief broadcast without being good at what you do. So to try and shove him into a niche would be a mistake. Anyway, you could say that that the US series is a niche one as its about motoring.