Tanner Faust to host, Dan Neil to not

I read "Tanner Foust" and was real skeptical. Then I watched the linked vid, and he didn't do as bad as I thought he would. Maybe someone will write some jokes for him...

Wow, I hate to jump the gun and say the show sucks before it's ever shown but the show is going to suck. I've been holding out hope that they would find a way to make it good but with this most recent lump of bad news I can't see how it's going to be good. The worst bit of it all is how they are going to handle advertisers, not doing car reviews, how the hell do they think that is the best way to deal with advertisers. There was so many other better options than that like not having car related advertising. They basically are taking Top Gear and removing it's balls, I don't see any way this show will be any good. They are basically removing the very thing that most people like about Top Gear and it's their criticism of bad cars.

Blah blah blah, its not british so its not cool, blah blah blah boring, blah blah blah i'm losing hope in the show, blah blah blah blah blah. <_<

Honestly, we could get all of the negative bullshittery out of the way in one post and you can all go back to fondling jeremy clarkson's steak-and-kidney flavored balls? I think this guy is plenty entertaining if you stuck him in front of a nice team of writers, which is something NBC is more known to do than SPEED.

Dissapointed about Dan Neil Though :(

Blah blah blah, its not british so its not cool, blah blah blah boring, blah blah blah i'm losing hope in the show, blah blah blah blah blah. <_<

Honestly, we could get all of the negative bullshittery out of the way in one post and you can all go back to fondling jeremy clarkson's steak-and-kidney flavored balls? I think this guy is plenty entertaining if you stuck him in front of a nice team of writers, which is something NBC is more known to do than SPEED.

Dissapointed about Dan Neil Though :(

There is only so much a team of writers can do, they can't fix a lack of personality.

Sorry Matt, but I'm going to have to disagree with you, writers cannot save this guy. To me he seems a lot like Ryan Seacrest, but can drive.

I dont see whats so wrong with him, i actually have watched "supercars exposed", and behind all the speed cookie-cutter tv show bullshit, i see a guy who genuinely loves these cars, and is knowledgeable about them. He rarely even speaks on the show, most of the time its whoever happens to own the car rambling on about how awesome it is for 25 minutes, then a 15 second shot of him powersliding it on some deserted road.

Give him a more open show and a nice staff of writers, and he'll do fine.

He's narrated quite a few tv shows, and everyone of them is about as entertaining as a David Attenborough film on the migration habits of the ruby-throated hummingbird.

He doesn't ever seem genuinely interested in any of the cars, or surprised or entertained by how they are. They only evoke responses such as "wow" and "it oversteers." There is no wit or humor, he might as well be doing motortrend/car and driver tv.

The whole reason we like JC and Hammond is they can do a pretty good job of making something seemingly boring and make it interesting. What Faust is good at doing is making something seemingly interesting and making you go "ugh, maybe there is a Friends re-run on, anything is better than this."

tanner is not a bad host, he's no Richard, but he's not bad. He may be a bit boring but at least he can drive. They just need to teach him how to review. Watch the early top gears and it was extremely boring compared to what the show is now. These things take time. Have faith!!!

P.S. I don't think anyone could make the same combination of the three hosts that top gear has now. Fifth gear can't even do it with what five hosts? so stop expecting NBC to do it. It's not gonna happen... But we can just hope for the best.. Stop being so negative...

Nobody is going to be as good as J, J and R.
There is no question about it.
But, there was a tim ewhen Top Gear was just starting out and it wasn't so great either.
Maybe in time. I know one thing, I'm eagerly looking forward to the first show, however it works or doesn't.

I don't care how well someone can drive. Really. If this show is about displaying how well this guy can drive, then I'll turn off the TV two minutes before the show comes on. And if it is about how well he can drive they could've done better. They could've got a real race car driver, not some drifter/2nd rate rally driver.

The guy has no ******* personality. He's a tool of the nth degree. And really, I have no faith in NBC's writers. The only shows that they have that are watchable have their few good writers, and they canned their best writer twice now. So I've got no faith in his talents. I may download it to see Adam and whoever else they bring on, but this guy is a huge fail in my book. HUGE fail. And I flat out refuse to watch the show live if this guy is on.

Tanner Faust sucks along w/ Supercaes Exposed. I love my country but lets face it anything they put on the air is going to suck

I am starting to get concerned about the presenters for Gear for more than one reason but I'll just bring one up now.

One of the reasons the Top Gear presenters are so good is their ability to relate with people who watch the show. Both Jeremy and Richard have families and kids which they refer to numerous times on the show. James doesn't seem like such a different guy that you'd meet when you go to a grocery store. All three are middle aged and are not in the best of physical shape, another way people can relate. It seems like the Top Gear presenters can describe cars in a way that even though they're driving the car, you can get a good sense of how it would feel. They go beyond the, I'm driving this really cool car and having lots of fun and you will probably never get the chance to drive it.

I'm worried that Adam, Tanner, and whoever won't be able to relate to the viewers as well as the Top Gear guys. I'm not doubting their knowledge or love of cars but they seem to be from a youngerish generation than the Top Gear presenters. Adam and Tanner seem brash at least to me right now. I personally can't relate much to a Hollywood comedian/dancer/radio personality or a race car driver/stuntman. I really hope I'm wrong and they hit this out of the park but I'm going to be skepitcal which I think everyone is going to be until it airs but I thought this might be important to bring up.

I personally can't relate much to a Hollywood comedian/dancer/radio personality

And you think Clarkson, Hammond, and May were working at grocery stores before 2002? :p

Carolla constantly goes on rants about how cheap his family was. He grew up rather poor (food stamps, etc.) and then worked many years as a real master carpenter building houses and teaching boxing. He only got into radio (and Hollywood) by showing up at a radio station and offering to teach Jimmy Kimmel (a minor, minor guy on a local radio station at the time) how to box for a fight.

I don't know of a more normal guy and being rich now doesn't make him not normal.

Hey, I've been quite optimistic about this show before now and have shrugged off every bit of bad news to come before but a car show such as this without car reviews is unfathomable. I don't see how they can justify it given that this show is supposed to be so much like Top Gear and yet will completely lack one of the huge elements of Top Gear, car reviews. What's this going to be a half hour show?

Remember a few weeks ago when Adam was describing to a listener what he was doing at El Toro?

"Burning off the tires of a brand new M5 with a professional drifter"

I wonder who the professional drifter/driver was....:rolleyes:

And you think Clarkson, Hammond, and May were working at grocery stores before 2002? :p

Carolla constantly goes on rants about how cheap his family was. He grew up rather poor (food stamps, etc.) and then worked many years as a real master carpenter building houses and teaching boxing. He only got into radio (and Hollywood) by showing up at a radio station and offering to teach Jimmy Kimmel (a minor, minor guy on a local radio station at the time) how to box for a fight.

I don't know of a more normal guy and being rich now doesn't make him not normal.

Thats exactly why I like him as a host. He is a normal guy. When watching him on tv he felt more like he was hanging out with some friends than doing a TV show. Thats exactly the kind of guys the show needs.

I don't care how well someone can drive. Really. If this show is about displaying how well this guy can drive, then I'll turn off the TV two minutes before the show comes on. And if it is about how well he can drive they could've done better. They could've got a real race car driver, not some drifter/2nd rate rally driver.

The guy has no ******* personality. He's a tool of the nth degree. And really, I have no faith in NBC's writers. The only shows that they have that are watchable have their few good writers, and they canned their best writer twice now. So I've got no faith in his talents. I may download it to see Adam and whoever else they bring on, but this guy is a huge fail in my book. HUGE fail. And I flat out refuse to watch the show live if this guy is on.

ok stop trying to be mr. clarkston here!!!

if not tanner then who? you've addressed good points but didn't give any idea's for a solution. I'd love to here you're your suggestion for a different host.

OK cool guy, why not suggest a way they could improve the show, or mention a more suitable(in your opinion) host? All you did in that post, was bitch. Also, Tanner gets paid to race cars and be on tv, what do you get paid to do? Mr. Non Tool... :rolleyes:

ok stop trying to be mr. clarkston here!!!

if not tanner then who? you've addressed good points but didn't give any idea's for a solution. I'd love to here you're your suggestion for a different host.
Clarkson. Not that hard.

OK cool guy, why not suggest a way they could improve the show, or mention a more suitable(in your opinion) host? All you did in that post, was bitch. Also, Tanner gets paid to race cars and be on tv, what do you get paid to do? Mr. Non Tool... :rolleyes:
Yeah, my profession is critical to this conversation. Ad hominem much?

I've suggested in other areas a few people, but I'll stick with two here. I quite liked the writer that they decided to not go with, as he would've brought a great level head to offset Adam's personality. I think if they wanted a third presenter, Ezra Dryer would be a great addition to the team. He's a fantastic writer, and a true gear head. Pick up a few issues of Automobile and read his column, it's fantastic fun and fits in with the apparent path that NBC is going with the show.

But, this thread is about Tanner Faust. I was expressing my displeasure about his being hired for the show. I don't like what he brings to the table, and I made that quite clear.

A racing driver doesn't equal a good host. How would you like Kimi Raikkonen host a show? Or just the stig by himself.

Exactly, that's why the Stig was invented... nobody cares. None of the other 3 can drive all that well, but that doesn't matter. Fifth Gear has shown that having 3 racing licenses between 4 presenters doesn't necessarily make great viewing. I'd love to see Kimi host something though... I could watch it when I need to get some sleep... he must be the biggest insomnia buster ever.