Ownership Verified: TAXIIIIIII!!! - 2006 Mercedes E200 T Kompressor Manual Wagon!

So, one set of pins is already used, can I just use the other on the right, @Nugget ??
That plug looks slightly different from the Porsche one, but I think the theory is the same. What I had to do in the Cayenne is disassemble the plug to separate the two different fibers. One of those fibers is "in" and one is "out" for the device that plug is connecting to.

You leave the "in" fiber in the original plug pictured above which will continue to connect to the "in" on the device.

The "out" fiber in above is detached and inserted into a new plug which connects to the "out" of the device you're trying to add to the bus.

Then a new piece of fiber is inserted into the two plugs which takes the "out" from your original device and routes it to the "in" of the new device you're adding.

This preserves the ring and includes your new device in it.

That plug looks slightly different from the Porsche one, but I think the theory is the same. What I had to do in the Cayenne is disassemble the plug to separate the two different fibers. One of those fibers is "in" and one is "out" for the device that plug is connecting to.

You leave the "in" fiber in the original plug pictured above which will continue to connect to the "in" on the device.

The "out" fiber in above is detached and inserted into a new plug which connects to the "out" of the device you're trying to add to the bus.

Then a new piece of fiber is inserted into the two plugs which takes the "out" from your original device and routes it to the "in" of the new device you're adding.

This preserves the ring and includes your new device in it.

So something like this would work too?

s-l1600.jpg

Ok, so where were we?

Ah right, so I tried installing that fiber optic/optical cable to the little aux input adapter I have and, nothing. I could verify the infrared signal was coming from the radio to the little box, but no dice. Radio didn't recognize and therefore I could not switch over onto the CDC input. For now I will continue using the radio, burning CDs as needed, or when a clear enough frequency is found, use the FM transmitter I have. What's happened since February? Not a whole lot, once a month or so I drive 380kms each way to the Eifel/Ahrtal and visit a @loose_unit and a Terrex6r.

Since the German practice of "O bis O" has come and gone, we've now switched over to summer wheels/tires!

1682152760020.jpeg

A shower was had:

IMG_1258.JPG

During the tire swap, the mechanic I used noticed the old air spring I replaced with the fucked up one had shifted. This was because I did not have another plastic clip and I had just set the top of the air bag notch into the area, thinking the weight of the car and force of the air spring would keep everything together. I was wrong, I was hoping it wasn't too bad, because a couple weeks prior to the changeover, I was hearing a rubber squeak over light bumps in towns. Sadly not the case. Oh well, I allowed the mechanic to change the airbag because next weekend, I am doing a road trip east, it's better to be safe than sorry, even though I have ADAC+. No need to have a high speed collision from the airbag blowing out just because I didn't want to make it right.

Visited an @leviathan today after having a job interview in a nearby town. So, did a 500km/310mi ish round trip.

This thing loves autobahn cruising, seems to be happy around 180-200km/h or 112-125mph area. It just glides along. With a bigger engine it would cruise nicer i'm sure and higher speeds, but eh.

Ok, this past weekend I completed 2,402km/1,492mi roadtrip to the Balkans for BalkanMeat™ with @loose_unit, a Marc, and a Hank The Beagle.

Start at Casa de Flareside.

1683013945335.jpeg

Joe & Marc met Thursday afternoon/evening, I showed them around the town I live in, originally we wanted to visit a cocktail bar that is on the hill of the town so we could gawk at France from a high place. Alas, they weren't open thursday evening. No matter, we found a very nice Greek restaurant instead and a dinner there. Sadly the bar around the corner did not allow WegBier, so we had to drink inside.

Anyways, Friday morning around 6AM, we started our drive to the Balkans with the route starting south through Switzerland, then east through Italy and finally, hitting Slovenia around 6 or 7 in the evening.

Off to a good start. Due to the Merc's inaccessable upgrade-ability to retain the original stereo and connect modern devices, Joe got some second-hand store CDs. :D

View: https://youtu.be/MbM3eWRj9Gw

View: https://youtu.be/t23o11RECZE
Morning stop for bakery things in Switzerland. <3

1683014610719.jpeg

1683014816643.jpeg

The route chosen had us stopping for lunch at Lake Como, sadly the dash camera video is missing, but when we were going through the boarder crossing between Switzerland and Italy, we blasted some opera music with all the windows down. It got the attention of the police who just gave us wide eyes and confused look as we passed through. There was an officer who I thought was going to cross the road, so I stopped but he just waved me on with his cigarette. :D

1683015195322.jpeg

Then onwards, driver change to Joe until evening stop in Slovenia to have a dinner with @IceBone and @nicjasno.

1683015609670.jpeg

First fuel stop in Italy after starting at my place in Germany.

1683015657516.jpeg

Joe's nerves were tested with Italian afternoon commuter traffic, they seem to just zoom up, heavy brake all the time rubber banding, which makes using cruise control difficult. After passing Venice, the highways calmed down and we reached the boarder.

1683016112952.jpeg

Before penetrating Slovenia, we needed a toll pass, like Austria or Swizterland's Maut/Vignette sticker. I wanted a physical sticker for the keepsake, but the first stop where you could buy them, the shop was closed, so it was bought online instead. Sad times. This stop was apparently still on the Italian side and this was my first experience seeing squat toilets in person. Unless I really had to go, thats a no for me, dog.

1683016316467.jpeg

Suddenly, singage with letters arranged even more different.

1683016413321.jpeg

After this, we made it to our stop in Maribor to our AirBnB, the host greeted us in German. Apparently in the 90s it was seen to Slovenia that Germany was the next up and coming country and so a lot of people apparently know German, especially, naturally, the closer you get to the boarder with Austria, interesting surprise by me.

A Dinner was had.

1683016589024.jpeg

The next morning we had breakfast Kebab, and it was off to Croatia to meet up with a @47

1683016663080.jpeg

Once we got to @47's place, many meats, cake, and burek were had. Sunday, we visited a war memorial from the Yugoslavian war and an appropriate photo of the Fragette with TheCompact, Igor's Renault, and @argatoga's Fiat were made.

1683016807032.jpeg

Afterwards, we went back to @47's place, had some drinks and more meat and cake, Monday morning came and sadly, this marked the return back to reality.

1683016978847.jpeg

The drive from Croatia to the Austrian boarder through Slovenia was uneventful other than, Croatian highways on Labor Day morning were almost completely empty. We made it to Austria around 7:30 or 8:30 in the morning had a fuel stop off of the highway to avoid actual highway robbery of fuel prices.

1683017155928.jpeg

Then, we carried on to an Austrian rest stop that had an American 50s diner theme in the restaurant oddly. Not the place I would expect to have such a theme, but anyways. :D

1683017272698.jpeg

Some bacon, eggs, and a bread roll. Did find it funny how despite being American diner themed, they had on offer a Schnitzel. :D

1683017335826.jpeg

After that, some spectacular views greeted us through Austria.

1683017404816.jpeg

Then more kms covered, we hit Germany, a load of bad singing between the pop hits on SWR1 and SWR3 were had.

View: https://youtu.be/uQZ78obbs90
And finally, home, total distance covered and average fuel consumption total over that trip. I'd say decent for a 1.8L supercharged heavy wagon. I think that's about 24 US MPG.

1683015570854.jpeg

More roadtrip needs to be had. There were two things found along the trip. During the first leg in Italy, I noticed the A/C wasn't doing so well, especially through one of the longest tunnels I've ever been through where it got to 30 degrees C inside the tunnel, it seems that the evap coil is freezing up due to low refrigerant. We got some cooling for a time, then very little airflow, and some cool air. We'd switch it off for maybe 15-20 minutes, switch it back on and we'd get airflow and cooling again. The reason for this theory is that, when we stopped the amount of condensate leaking out onto the ground was substantial enough that it would be normal to see in a place like Florida or some other place with a lot of humidity, but where we were, there wasn't so much humidity. Also, 4hrs or so from home, we got a warning that at next stop to check oil. Seems maybe some oil was burned during the spirited driving done in Croatia, or it's been slowing burning and since the annual service/oil change in February (I never checked it as when i bougt the car in November, I checked in December, never saw a loss). It wasn't that low as depending on the elevation/angle of the hill would the car throw the warning. We stopped at The Worlds Worst Burger King (how do you remove so much flavor?) we topped it up and continued on. Didn't see the warning again so, that's good.

I didn't want to jinx it on the trip but, this is still with the radiator I plugged with some stop leak in January, due to my mechanic testing and charging up to 2bar and not finding leaks in after the stop leak was put in, in January. So that's neat I guess. I really want to replace it before the next trip though. I don't like having a chewing gum solution.

Last edited:
That seems like a lot of fun. Glad to see you and Hank enjoying the places and people Europe has to offer.

Extremely jealous of the MEAT.

IMG_1677.jpeg

The photographers around the ring make even the slow, unknown racing line driving people look amazing. :D

1684226237406.png

1684226261872.png

I have a couple photos I will be purchasing for sure.

1684226294630.png

The big smile on the middle photo says it all (y). You don't need to have the fastest car and perfect racing lines to have fun and it clearly shows.

The big smile on the middle photo says it all (y). You don't need to have the fastest car and perfect racing lines to have fun and it clearly shows.

True, but it would be nice to have some more power as always. This has been such an achievement of mine to drive my own car around the ring. I think why I don't do the line you're supposed to do most of the time is because I saw so many people coming up behind that I didn't want to hold them up.

IMG_2140.jpeg

It's so damn good.

I gotta put the Lancer on the 'Ring, too. Epic achievement unlocked.

Looking at this, any guesses on the mileage? 80,000kms? 160,000kms? Nope, 320,000kms when I picked it up. Yes, that's right, just over 200,000 miles. It is in absolutely amazing condition for the amount of earth this car has seen. I will treat it well and take great care of my new land yacht.

This week, I've ticked over 348,600kms or 216,610 miles since the pickup in November. 😳

There's only been *some* driving involved.

I got rid of the worlds most uncomfortable couch this past week. Free off Kleinanzeigen so I could have _something_ when I moved here. It’s done its job.

IMG_2670.jpeg

Currently on a company trip and bumped into a sibling.

IMG_2735.jpeg

hit the milestone yesterday.

IMG_2855.jpeg

So that’s about 217,479miles. Not bad.

I have finally run into a major problem, the A/C doesn’t seem the best anymore and I think a heater valve is stuck open. Yesterday after a rest stop during a 380km drive north, it started blowing hot air instead of the usual cooler than outside but not super cold air. The compressor is still running so it seemingly hasn’t tripped a low pressure sensor, stopping the compressor. So my plan is sooner than later get that checked out because every day in Germany so far this summer has been 25-30°C/77-84°F.

Last edited:
The BRZ has done this a couple times now. Compressor kicks on, but nothing but warm air blows out of the vents. Both times I took it to a mechanic I know from the racetrack. Both times it had leaked down to like half a pound of refrigerant. He theorizes that while it'll pull a vacuum and hold it, a seal (possibly the one on the shaft of the compressor) is getting weak and seaps out just enough to take a few years to drain out. Currently it's cheaper just to pay him $60 every couple years to charge it.

Yeah, the same thing happened in the MX-5 - especially in high heat and/or when moving slowly, it stopped cooling and only blew warm air. Needed a refill. Leak checks on the system didn't find anything either, so in my case it has apparently never been serviced, or at least not for many years. Sometimes chain workshops like Euromaster and ATU have cheap offers on A/C gas refills / service, I've used that to get it refilled for like 50€ iirc, and it held up fine until I sold the car - may be worth looking into.