Telephobia, fear of phones

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
I recently came across this phobia, and found that there are quite a few sufferers. Myself included apparently, though only very mildly.

Generally I find that when I make a phone call (it doesn't matter where to), my pulse rises a little, and I find myself thinking "man, I would so much rather talk to this person face to face". I also find myself sounding more distracted or preoccupied on the phone.

The really odd bit is that I've been using VOIP programs for gaming since I was 10, and I've never had a problem with that.

So, who else has phone phobia?

i find that when i'm ringing someone to speak to them, i often run the conversation a thousand times through in my head. specifically on the first thing to say.
answering machines are the worst. when that beep goes its like someone's hit the 'reset' button in my head and i can't remember a thing.

I have a few friends that don't really like making phone calls or leaving telephone messages. I've always associated it with their shyness.

I wouldn't say I fear phones but I dislike them. More so now then I used to, mostly due to the fact I know any phonecall to any company will be met by some stupid robot woman and occasionally having to yell repeated things into the phone at it.

I think I had some form of this when I was a child. I was absolutely terrified of answering the home phone or making calls, even to friends. Also, when I was speaking on the phone I would feel inexplicably nervous and unable to talk naturally. Everything would sort of tumble out my mouth and I'd have to repeat myself a lot, which made things worse, because I was worried I sounded like an idiot or something. I think it was something about not being able to see the person you're speaking to freaking me out on a subconscious level.

Funnily enough, this nervousness seemed to go away around the time I got my first ever mobile phone. I think the fact that it was 'my' phone, I could see who was calling me and knowing that only a few people had my number seemed to help. I'm certainly well over it now, I mean, a couple of years ago I worked in a local government dept. as an admin assistant, which involved a lot of answering phones and transferring people to the departments they wanted, passing on messages etc. I can speak as naturally on a phone now as I would in a face-to-face conversation. I still hate automated recording services though, but that's just a modern-day annoyance thing that many many people would agree with me on. :lol:

i dislike talking over the phone because it usually ends up with massive drawn out calls that were supposed to take 30 secs but end up being 15-20mins.

the types of body language that you use without thinking about it to hurry stuff along when you talk to someone face to face just isnt replicable over a phone, without sounding like a twat anyway.

I'm not always available and sometimes people are busy with other things. However, I absolutely HATE it when the person I call does not pick up...and I refuse to leave voicemail messages too (don't know why). I text people most of the time though.

I don't like talking to people on the phone, you can't see the body language and that is usually very important in a conversation
And I always run out of things to say

I hate phoning people.

My job requires phoning people daily.

I like my job.

Figure that one out.

I don't like making phone calls because generally people are hard to understand over the phone.

Especially on cell phones. Some people sound so garbled I wonder who their provider is. Though, my phone is pretty ancient and I bet I don't sound so great either.

i dislike talking over the phone because it usually ends up with massive drawn out calls that were supposed to take 30 secs but end up being 15-20mins.

Stand up when receiving the call.
The call time will be greatly reduced; you will sound clearer and more affirmative.

And I always run out of things to say

This. For some reason I can talk indefinitely if I'm talking to someone face to face, but on the phone I reach the "so..... what's up?" stage in just a few minutes.