Ownership Verified: The adult VTEC: 2006 Acura TL

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Every car ever should have Brembos. Soooo easy to replace pads - you don't take the caliper off!
That's not a "Brembo Only" thing, and there are many Brembos where that *isn't* a possibility.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
4x4 diesel barge
I've never actually had to do much brake work to my cars since I've always had the garages do it when I had something else that needed to be sorted, but I did do the rear pads on one of my old Volvos. I got the same pleasant surprise.

This is on a 940 rather than on a V70 like mine, but I think it's the same caliper. It used the same pads, anyways.

That said, it's all fun and games until you realize the :censored:ing piston won't go back in. Or you break the bleed nipple. And that's when you're happy you paid a mechanic to swear for you instead of trying to DIY on a vehicle you need to have back on the road in time for work tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

LeVeL

Forum Addict
That said, it's all fun and games until you realize the :censored:ing piston won't go back in. Or you break the bleed nipple.
I used a screwdriver to push the pistons in while the old pads were still in place. How did you manage to break the bleed nipple??

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR, #Saab #9-3
Rust, I bet. Some cars come with rubber covers over the bleed nipples to keep out moisture in anticipation of exactly that problem.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Adequate passing power:

Also, first time really pushing the TL on backroads. Grip is what you'd expect from a heavy sedan on (performance-oriented) all-seasons. However, brakes are great and the diff does a great job putting power down on corner exit. I was playing around a bit on a different road with getting on the gas earlier and earlier and the car did quite well, considering that it's a DD.

Reactions: lip

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
I've never actually had to do much brake work to my cars since I've always had the garages do it when I had something else that needed to be sorted, but I did do the rear pads on one of my old Volvos. I got the same pleasant surprise.

This is on a 940 rather than on a V70 like mine, but I think it's the same caliper. It used the same pads, anyways.

That said, it's all fun and games until you realize the :censored:ing piston won't go back in. Or you break the bleed nipple. And that's when you're happy you paid a mechanic to swear for you instead of trying to DIY on a vehicle you need to have back on the road in time for work tomorrow morning.

I don't know. I've changed rear pads on Volvos 3-4 times and never had an issue with pushing the piston back in with just the master cylinder cap open.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
4x4 diesel barge
I used a screwdriver to push the pistons in while the old pads were still in place. How did you manage to break the bleed nipple??
I guess we could continue this discussion from April, it's just half a year old.

Like Labcoatguy said, rust. And that's why the pistons won't go back in - rusty cylinder walls in the caliper.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Last fall when I was changing over to snow tires (General Altimax Arctic), I junked my old worn-out tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position). Since then I've been plagued by the noise, discomfort, and lack of dry grip of my snow tires but good news! I just ordered a new set of rubber (BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S) - very much looking forward to getting these mounted.

Edit: just got the new tires mounted and what a difference! Significantly more grip, less tire noise, better ride - very happy!

Last edited:

LeVeL

Forum Addict
​​​​​I went and did a French yellow thing. Enjoy it now because you'll probably never see it again, since I only use fog lights in inclement weather.

Random shots from the last few months:

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Oh, so that's why my rear brakes she have started squealing...

Closing in on 140k miles.