the HEATHEN!

I don't see the problem in riding a bike, it doesn't mean you're not a petrol head. You can still love cars and cycle; I don't know where you all get the idea that the two are mutually exclusive.

:stupid:

Very true

I would not drive in the city and I grew up there. Believe me, there is no fun at all driving in London any more. Tube for me all the way.

The only good, effective and most economic way to get around in any big city is on a scooter, its perfect, small and narrow like a bicycle, fast enough, loads of space and the auto transmission is great. Twist and go baby8)

My beauty, MBK (Yamaha) Ovetto 50cc
ovetto1.JPG

Yes, but only in Italy can you drive a scooter and not look like a birk. Scooters are hip and cool in Italy (Vespa, anyone?), elsewhere they are...rather silly.

I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. I lived in Germany for 23 years, and it was very rare that people steped on the cycle lanes while walking in their designated area. I'd rather look for pedestrians straying on my lane than trucks or busses.
Some roads in London get very narrow at rush hour because of building up traffic, and it's the busses and trucks that can't help it but end up on the cycle lane. If Ken wants Londoners to use bikes then he should invest in proper cycle lanes so that people can finally feel save while being green!
I don't have problems with trucks or busses, since luckily I see them rarely, I do understand the issue with them not seeing you and getting under the wheels rather easily. They are still travelling in the same direction as you and the same counts for cars. However not much happens if one gets close to you, it doesnt really hurt (as long as you crash into the moving car and not the standing car at the side). A crash with a person on the other hand can hurt much more, him and you.
Just enforcing cycle lanes however might just do the trick, they have enough cctv in London to check for such stuff. Rush hour traffic is extremly slow anyway, why wouldn't you just stay closer to centre of the road and keep them behind you?

Wasn't it Clarkson who said that a true petrolhead owns and drives an Alfa. By this token Hammond isn't a petrolhead but an adrenaline junkie.

Richard Hammond is NOT a heathen. He's sensible, anyone on here who has to drive in London or has driven in London know the best way round is by bike, scooter etc....
Not even public transport in London is great, much quiet by peddle power (though I must say I wouldn't have the guts to do it myself - way too dangerous.

Plus guy's, it does build up the old thigh muscles, very attractive to a women - I should know I am one (a women NOT a thigh muscle:rolleyes:)

Richard Hammond is NOT a heathen. He's sensible, anyone on here who has to drive in London or has driven in London know the best way round is by bike, scooter etc....
Not even public transport in London is great, much quicker by peddle power (though I must say I wouldn't have the guts to do it myself - way too dangerous.

Plus guy's, it does build up the old thigh muscles, very attractive to a women - I should know I am one (a women NOT a thigh muscle:rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Riding a bicycle I can understand, but motorbikes - I just don't get them. I think it's the superior attitude bikers have. They think - for reasons I am yet to discover - they are better than motorists because they travel around on 50% fewer wheels. They are five times more likely to be killed than a cyclist and are the cause of 70% of accidents with cars. One fifth of all deaths on the road are bikers and yet they account for just 1% of road traffic.

Give me four wheels any day.

Well who wants to drive a nice and fast car in a tight congested city? Just so people can look at you? I would probably do the same thing, the only worry is getting hit by a vehicle. Considering this, I would probably own something small but still fun, like a Renault Clio V6 in addition the the awesome supercar.

So i live in london with a manuel (stick) sports car i used to work in vauxhall which accord to google earth is 5.3miles away. It used to take me an hour and abit to get there.

Trust me fast sports car with heavy clutches in 3mph traffic is not a fun experiance. Infact i was invited to Bond street the other day i could have driven but its just soo infuriating take car the car i'd rather brave the tube

And i love biking i have a Santa cruz Bullit and a GT-Idrive race. I guess its a love of speed and metal for some