The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

Next thing in the agenda is to announce if the US reneges on the Paris climate change agreements. My money is he will repeal it.

Repeal because it wasn't his idea. Never mind that it might actually bring some good to the world...

While those tweets are hypocritical at best IMHO there's no real reason to dig up an old tweet from 8 months ago. There's enough shit that he does currently does/tweets/doesn't do which is worse and more prevailing.

Aaaaaand, now time to roll back Obama- era changes in our relationship with Cuba.

How can anyone possibly predict what this administration means?

http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-set-reverse-barack-obamas-policies-cuba-617140

So if I understand this correctly, refugee lover Obama made it legally harder for Cubans to migrate to the Us ... and now anti-immigration Trump is going to make it easy for them again?

:-|

This is all very confusing ...

You're overthinking it. Trump wants to overturn an Obama decision; its impacts on immigration vis-a-vis his campaign policy talks are irrelevant. The Cuban thaw was met with resistance by many (though not all) Republicans and Democrats.

Trump just checking the Populism for dummies checklist:

[x] Win the election by making poor and working people believe you're one of them/understand their problems
[x] Slander all your opposition
[x] Undo everything good which the previous administration did, making up shit on why it's bad
[x] Deeply divide the country in "with us" or "against us", create a gap, make people fight among themselves while laughing all the way to the bank
[x] Create own propaganda, label it "the news" and label real news as "anti-me propaganda"
[ ] Give free money to the poor when the next election is near, just enough so they vote for you again

Trump just checking the Populism for dummies checklist:

[x] Win the election by making poor and working people believe you're one of them/understand their problems
[x] Slander all your opposition
[x] Undo everything good which the previous administration did, making up shit on why it's bad
[x] Deeply divide the country in "with us" or "against us", create a gap, make people fight among themselves while laughing all the way to the bank
[x] Create own propaganda, label it "the news" and label real news as "anti-me propaganda"
[ ] Give free money to the poor when the next election is near, just enough so they vote for you again

- Has there ever been a politician running for office that didn't do that?

- See above

- I suppose you're talking about climate change here, because there isn't really anything the Obama admin did that was good for this country.

- Blaming Trump for the divisions in America is laughable, but as far as stirring up outrage to distract the people from the real issues, again, has there ever been a politician that didn't do that?

- Even Obama went after media sources that criticized him. The idea that the MSM doesn't publish propaganda is a bit naive. I mean, thanks to WikiLeaks The Russians, we know the democrats were colluding with the media. It's not exactly a tin foil hat conspiracy to believe there is a lot of propaganda being published, especially when so many of these stories are providing zero evidence and expect their readers to take it on blind partisan faith.

- Again, nothing new or revolutionary about that. We see that very issue right now with entitlements and our spineless politicians not having the huevos to tackle them, out of fear of being labeled heartless haters of the poor or something. There are few better ways to get votes than to simply buy them, which is why we have so many issues with entitlement programs bleeding us dry. I doubt Bernie Sanders would have been so popular if it weren't for his promises of Free College, Free Health Care, Free Pudding Cups, etc.

I think by "slander your opposition" he's referring to post-campaign attacks on journalists, media, courts, and yes the opposition party as well (which is laughable because they don't control a single branch).

So no, not all politicians do that. He's a singularity

- Has there ever been a politician running for office that didn't do that?

- See above

You can dislike Obama all you want, but you can't seriously suggest that Obama slandered his opposition in the same way that Trump did/is doing. Political and ideological disagreements aside, I can't think of another presidential candidate in the past 50 years that stooped so low in using personal attacks.

I don't think President Obama needed to, he had people lined up around the block to do it for him. Plenty of "c-holsters" like Stephen Colbert willing to do the dirty work.

And yes, I do think Trump has lashed out at a lot of people. His idiotic accusation that Cruz's father was involved in the assassination of JFK for example. But I honestly think Trump has it a lot worse than Obama ever did. A lot of what's been happening lately reminds me of motor sport, where second place knows they can't catch the leader, so they keep the pressure on, hoping and praying for a mistake that they can exploit.

But I think that sort of scrutiny is a great thing actually, I just wish people were more consistent in treating all our elected officials that way, rather than just the ones they oppose.

Oh cmon. Obama faced unparalleled levels of obstructionism. He couldn't even get a Supreme Court pick at the end. A lot of what he faced was due to racism as well, not simply policy.

Trump is just a moron that's uniquely unqualified to even be in the role.

You can't really even compare the two. So if Trump has had it worse, which I don't believe, it's well deserved.

You're really living in some sort of la la land. I don't even like Obama, but can still recognize this.

If we could stop blaming everything on racism that'd be grrreeaatttt

How about we just blame on racism what's happening due to racism? So not everything - but not nothing either. :)

Obama's supreme court pick and policies blocked because of racism and not just partisanship? IMO unlikely but debateable. I think people underestimate the level of partisanship in Us politics and thus think there have to be more vile motivations behind it, like racism.

How about we just blame on racism what's happening due to racism? So not everything - but not nothing either. :)

Obama's supreme court pick and policies blocked because of racism and not just partisanship? IMO unlikely but debateable. I think people underestimate the level of partisanship in Us politics and thus think there have to be more vile motivations behind it, like racism.

I'd change from 'unlikely' to 'flat-out not it at all'. Merrick Garland wasn't blocked due to racism against Obama, he was blocked because the GOP wanted to keep the Supreme Court conservative and committed to that goal as soon as Scalia died. They were going to block any nominee Obama put forth out of concern Obama's nominee would tip the Court liberal regardless of how conservative they appeared. Hell, they probably would have blocked Scalia if Obama found a way to bring him back from the dead out of that same fear. When Clinton looked likely to win, some Republicans were even on record as saying they'd block any nominee of hers for her full term, preferring a Court that could split 4-4 to one that would have an extra liberal on it.

That they went about it in the stupidest fucking way imaginable and tainted the Court for as long as Gorsuch sits on it in the eyes of some is just extra idiot icing on the shitshow cake of the last 10 months of Obama's presidency.

So no, that specifically isn't debatable.