Tiff Needell -> Good or bad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Vote and explain what you think about Tiff Needell.

I personally find him not entertaining and his presentation quite soporific.

What do you think?

This should probably have been posted in the 'Fifth Gear' section. ;) Even if he did work for TG for several years.

As for Tiff, he's a truly great driver, with enough wit to make a review sort of interesting, but nothing more.

What has this got to do with Top Gear?

I gave him 1/10.
Tiff did present old Top Gear between 1987 and 2001. ;)

But I agree this should have been in the FG section, since he presents Fifth Gear now.

OH crap I'm so sorry I didn't even see that I posted it here.

In my defense, he was the old top gear presenter. So I guess it sort of fits here.

If an admin can move it and spare me additional embarassment I'd be forever indebted :p

8/10. Tiff rocks! So he isn't as articulate as Clarkson. He makes up for it with beautiful, smooth powerslides, something Jeremy can only dream of.

Drives like a god, talks like a crying nancy boy. I think that sums it up.

I really do not enjoy any of his films. He is one of the most boring presenters I have seen on TV. He is a great driver, but thats it.

Sorry Tiff.. 9/10 on the track but 2/10 on TV.

Tiff in duo with JC 20/10
Tiff on fifth gear 10/10 for the driving 10/10 for the driving review but 1/10 for the entertainment, he's doesn't have the orignality of JC but it's always a joy to see him driving!

Drives like a god, talks like a crying nancy boy. I think that sums it up.

I second this. His speech seems oddly.... effeminate.

I hate his arrogance, one example would be a segment where he taught the fat guy to drive a Lambo Gallardo.

Also I hate his voice, and also I hate that he can't pronounce Murcielago. "Mercy-el-lago"

FUCK YOU TIFF!!

We need anoth poll option: -1/10 - I'd rather staple my ears to a horse.

5. Good driver, presenter? Errr...no.

Has anybody else ever noticed that he does the same movement with his hands every 5 seconds or so? Over and over again...

Tiff is a fantastic driver, although his presentation skills aren't quite up there with Jezza.

When I first saw him, I wasn't a fan at all ... Tiff comes across as the kind of guy who'd be better at hosting Antiques Roadshow than a car show. After a while, Tiff's overly calm and soothing persona has grown on me. After all, who possibly couldn't enjoy Tiff when he's in full flight? Nobody can hold a candle to Tiff when it comes to powerslides.

Last edited:
I hate his arrogance, one example would be a segment where he taught the fat guy to drive a Lambo Gallardo.

Also I hate his voice, and also I hate that he can't pronounce Murcielago. "Mercy-el-lago"

FUCK YOU TIFF!!

That is the proper way to pronounce it...

I gave him a 5/10. He's an awesome driver and I think if he were my personal instructor he'd be very patient and a good teacher. However, he has some odd mannerisms, a high nasaly voice, and in general is hard to listen to as a presenter. For American viewers he's almost a pure stereotype of a tea-and-crumpet Brit. Also, I think he's generally too clinical in his review of cars; it's hard to get a sense of passion out of him and what if any emotion the car conveys.

I don't like that they've isolated him in a corner in the last few series either.

Tiff is a driving god, but I have a hard time imagining him presenting some other subject.

That is the proper way to pronounce it...

Are you sure? Last time I checked, there was no such thing as a soft 'c' in Italian. Therefore, 'Mercy-A-Largo' would have to be an incorrect pronunciation. 'Mer-chi-a-largo' is more likely to be correct.

I gave him a 5/10. He's an awesome driver and I think if he were my personal instructor he'd be very patient and a good teacher. However, he has some odd mannerisms, a high nasaly voice, and in general is hard to listen to as a presenter. For American viewers he's almost a pure stereotype of a tea-and-crumpet Brit. Also, I think he's generally too clinical in his review of cars; it's hard to get a sense of passion out of him and what if any emotion the car conveys.

I don't like that they've isolated him in a corner in the last few series either.

Tiff is a driving god, but I have a hard time imagining him presenting some other subject.

I do agree with you. When I watch JC get passionate about a car like the Porsche Carrera GT or the Koenigsegg CCX I can feel the joy he feels driving that awesome car. Its because of him my world of cars had been completely changed and I started to favor the CCX, the CGT, and the AM DB9. With Tiff its like watching a substitute teacher's lecture... so prosaic, formulaic, and overly pedantic. You say you have a hard time imagining him present something else, but I think a lot of us are having a hard time with him presenting THIS subject lol.

I do agree though, hes great at driving. I even feel that the current TG crew dont match to him and of course F1 drivers and the stig driving-wise. JC might be up there with driving, and is better than the average dude that just got his license, but he cannot be exalted any further than that.

^ Also I remember something mentioned in passing during the last series of 5G. Tiff revealed that he doesn't own any cars as he's always got one on loan to review. It's hard to say, but if I were in his shoes I think I'd still have a few examples of my favorite selections on hand for the Sunday joyrides, as does Jezza. That kind of turned me off, sort of in the way a Doctor sees patients all day and then when he goes home he leaves it all at the office.

Maybe he too is bored after years of doing this?

Are you sure? Last time I checked, there was no such thing as a soft 'c' in Italian. Therefore, 'Mercy-A-Largo' would have to be an incorrect pronunciation. 'Mer-chi-a-largo' is more likely to be correct.

The word itself means bat in Spanish and they pronounce it Mercy-A-Lago as well. But the Lamborghini rep at the auto show was adamant that that was the incorrect way of saying it and that Lamborghini themselves pronounce it Mercy-el-ago. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but people use both pronunciations.
I just use the first one because that's what I always knew it as.